(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

screeching sound

Got a problem with your stock CRX? This is where you should start.

Moderator: Moderators

screeching sound

Postby kracksmith » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:37 am

When i'm taking off once in awhile i hear a high screeching sound. not sure what it is. i can't really describe it too, like a screaming woman or like before you hear a car accident, like a tire stopping on a dime, something like that.

could this be a belt too tight? I usually hear this from old cars.
kracksmith

Re: screeching sound

Postby kracksmith » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:28 am

After some research this could mean my alternator is going out as it would make this screeching sound too. Another indication is at night when all the lights are on when i come to a stop sign in neutral my dash goes dim a bit. When i gas it to go ita bright again.

Never changed a alternator on a crx. Does it come out from the top or bottom which i have to remove the driver side axle?
kracksmith

Postby Myriad » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:55 am

It's a bad bearing on either your alternator or your A/c. The first alternator I replaced had that; bad bearing and barely worked.

You need to disconnect the driver's side wheel, the plastic covers for the engine bay, then the alternator and lower bracket. You'll eventually get it pointed in the right direction for it to come out the wheel-well.

In my experience, the Mitsubishi alternators always went bad. Try to not get one for a replacement.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Postby nicely_tuned » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:17 am

I removed my wheel to unbolt my alternator, but I removed it through the top. It's a little bit tetris-y. Take your time. Have a beer. It can be done in a parking lot with the spare tire jack and a basic set of crappy tools. You got this!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
2004 WRX wagon in WRB (Daily)
1989 CRX HF in white. currently building A6 for swap and sourcing autox suspension goodies.
nicely_tuned

Postby Mista Bone » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Could also be timing belt tensioner....I thought it was a loose alternator belt so I snugged the belt up.

BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby Myriad » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:55 pm

Well, I guess it's more of a question of if it's an intermittent squeal or if it sounds all the time.

Myriad

Postby Mista Bone » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:43 pm

Mine was intermittent at idle, but couldn't hear it on the highway...... :yell:
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby kracksmith » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:05 am

mine is also intermittent. most times in taking off. most times when its cold. sometimes it's not the case. also my lights dim in idle. so this is most likely a alternator. it's from the original owner so i can't tell how old. i might as well change it.

but before it warms up, everything seems good. it's doesn't dim, maybe because it's on high idling.
kracksmith

Postby Myriad » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:34 am

If it doesn't dim while the squeal is on, I doubt it's your alternator. I mean, I also had one alternator with a perfectly fine bearing but bad regulator (it wouldn't up the voltage until a certain engine speed >3k). I've also seen timing belt rub damage, and that scares more than a sassy alternator. Pull off your belt cover and check it first.

Myriad

Return to Stock Garage