(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

grease in all the electrical connectors

Got a problem with your stock CRX? This is where you should start.

Moderator: Moderators

grease in all the electrical connectors

Postby jzxcrx » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:48 am

As I go through and clean up and repair my 25 year old CRX I find that these cars were assembled with a fair amount of white grease smeared inside the many electrical connectors throughout.

So after I clean out the dirty and caked up old grease, is there a reason to replace the grease when I go and re assemble? Do you all do this yourself?

Havent seen a lot of this in my experience, but then I don't have a lot of experience on Hondas and Japanese vehicles.
jzxcrx

Re: grease in all the electrical connectors

Postby RamaCrx » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:19 pm

RamaCrx

Postby Myriad » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:10 pm

The connectors are supposed to be packed with electrical grease to keep them clean of dirt and prevent corrosion. It also helps with ensuring a good connection, but that's a moot point for the pins in the connectors.

The service manuals call for the connectors to be filled with this stuff. If you want it to last another 25 years, I'd say to replace the grease.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:13 pm

I clean and refresh dielectric grease whenever possible. It does a few things: makes connectors easier to pull apart, keeps water out, and slows oxidizing of the terminals. I live in a wet area and no longer wish to mess around with cruddy, stuck, corroded connectors and lamp sockets. :yell:
Keep it real. This is the only Honda forum worth my time. You make it happen.
Gr8_EE8

Postby Foogar » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:43 pm

Gr8_EE8 wrote:I live in a wet area and no longer wish to mess around with cruddy, stuck, corroded connectors and lamp sockets. :yell:

I wish the previous owner of mine felt the same way, but I guess they're not dealing with are they. I'm to the point of trying to track down sockets for the taillights now.
Foogar

Postby jzxcrx » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:48 pm

Yep, if I have to clean off a connector I use dialectric grease, but not white grease.
jzxcrx

Postby thaeli » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:16 pm

Foogar wrote:I wish the previous owner of mine felt the same way, but I guess they're not dealing with are they. I'm to the point of trying to track down sockets for the taillights now.

You've got a PM :)
thaeli

Return to Stock Garage