(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

90 crx dx auto stalling when it stops or slowdowns.

Got a problem with your stock CRX? This is where you should start.

Moderator: Moderators

90 crx dx auto stalling when it stops or slowdowns.

Postby crxter » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:41 pm

My bone stock 90 CRX DX auto ( 150K) runs perfect on the highway but when I slow down (~20MPH) or come to a stop the engine dies. I then have to wait around 20 seconds for the engine to start again.
No check engine light, no modifications at all, no alarm or any non original equipment.
Give me ideas guys, I am almost 100% sure it's ignition related, the fuel pump is brand new, new filter, the distributor is old. I don't think it's the igniter, the tach runs steady, no jumping.
90 Rio red HF. D16Z6 turbo.
90 Barbados yellow Si, all stock.
90 Frost white DX, all stock.
There is never a good reason to get rid of a CRX.
crxter

Re: 90 crx dx auto stalling when it stops or slowdowns.

Postby kracksmith » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:59 pm

ignition problem doesn't happen only when slowing down though.
kracksmith

Postby Foogar » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Back in the dark ages, when we had carbs and all of that madness, sometimes your float would get stuck and cause you to flood the thing if the engine wasn't turning fast enough. To me that sounds similar to what you're dealing with but I've been wrong before.

Does it idle ok at first start? If you double foot it to keep the RPMs up coming off the highway does it still die?
Foogar

Postby kracksmith » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:00 pm

if you open your ignition, see if the contacts are good. should be smooth and shinny and clean. here is how mine look, can you see it was arching.

my driving shut off scenario was just driving and it goes off. happen on the fwy, happen on the streets, happen on a signal light too. my giveaway was that my dash was smoking from the arching. otherwise I would have been looking for something else in the engine to blame.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=108505&hilit=smoke
kracksmith

Postby Myriad » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:19 am

I think it sounds like your torque converter not operating right; keeping in gear and making the engine stall. Try shifting to neutral before coming to a stop and seeing if it does anything different.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Postby crxter » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:10 am

EDIT:

I found the problem. I had not been able to diagnose it because it only happened while driving, it never did it while parked on the driveway. Well finally last night it did while I had the hood up and looking at the engine. One thing I like to install on all my cars is a fuel pressure gauge.
So as I was watching the engine run it started to stumble and struggle to stay running. I saw the fuel pressure gauge moving and sure enough it was dropping all the way down to 20 psi then next to nothing and then the engine stopped. I thought it was the pump, but it is less than a few months old and I bought a good quality one. I put a volt meter in line with the pump's power wire and the problem was the voltage was dropping. The culprit was the main relay.
I had never seen one fail like that, but it did.

Thank you for the help guys. The problem is getting worse now. The car cruises fine but if I let go of the gas the engine shuts down. Sometimes when I fire up the engine, it shakes and idles very low then shuts down. Still no CEL dang it.
I am going to keep trouble shooting and will post again if /when I find out the cause.

I hate replacing parts blindly, this might be the reason I have been waiting for to convert to MPFI and 5 speed. I have a low mileage D16y7 and a freshly rebuilt HF tranny I want to put there.
90 Rio red HF. D16Z6 turbo.
90 Barbados yellow Si, all stock.
90 Frost white DX, all stock.
There is never a good reason to get rid of a CRX.
crxter

Postby Myriad » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:48 am

The main relay is a common break. If you're going to do a swap, you should really make sure that all the gremlins are squashed before continuing. If your main relay really is the problem, then swapping to mpfi and a newer engine won't make the problem go away.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Postby kracksmith » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:32 pm

i would just inspect your main relay and ignition switch. these are very easy to remove and just inspect.
kracksmith

Return to Stock Garage