(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Running ac without compressor

Got a problem with your stock CRX? This is where you should start.

Moderator: Moderators

Running ac without compressor

Postby guardian003 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:19 pm

This is probably a stupid question but bear with me. So I think the guy I bought my crx si took out the compressor to save weight lol. My question is whether running the ac without the compressor damages the car? It seems to heat up pretty well so I use it to defog the windows. I hope this isn't damaging it. Thanks
User avatar
guardian003
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:17 pm
Location: California

Re: Running ac without compressor

Postby JeffWilliamsUSA » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:26 pm

If there's no compressor there's no seal on the system
If there's no seal on the system there's no pressure
If there's no pressure, the pressure safety switch won't allow the AC system to come on.
( which only turns on the compressor which you don't have LOL)

Even though you turn on the AC button, the AC is not coming on. The heat you feel is from the heater core
The heater core gets hot water from your engine

If your engine is heating up really quickly, you may have a stuck thermostat.
STUFF 4 SALE
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=190266
Our CRX Family :)
88 HF .. J2-ReX NeW
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=200562
89 DX .. K-ReX
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=47004
91 DX .. J-ReX
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=53872
User avatar
JeffWilliamsUSA
 
Posts: 1645
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:19 pm
Location: Charlotte , NC

Re: Running ac without compressor

Postby guardian003 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:26 am

Thank you for clarifying this. I definitely won't be turning it on again.
User avatar
guardian003
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:17 pm
Location: California

Re: Running ac without compressor

Postby 4drSpankR » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:17 am

guardian003 wrote:Thank you for clarifying this. I definitely won't be turning it on again.



You're not hurting anything by doing so, both the AC and heat use the same blower motor. When you turn the "AC" on, you're only utilizing the blower motor part of the system since there's no compressor.
1991 HF - previously '90 B18A1 now '97 B18C1
1989 Si - running parts car/gone
User avatar
4drSpankR
 
Posts: 2245
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:12 pm
Location: Lancaster, PA

Re: Running ac without compressor

Postby guardian003 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:27 pm

4drSpankR wrote:
guardian003 wrote:Thank you for clarifying this. I definitely won't be turning it on again.



You're not hurting anything by doing so, both the AC and heat use the same blower motor. When you turn the "AC" on, you're only utilizing the blower motor part of the system since there's no compressor.


Ah, thank you.It Sure beats having to wipe the windows with some cloth while driving :)
I do want to add the compressor but will have to wait until I replace my clutch
User avatar
guardian003
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:17 pm
Location: California

Re: Running ac without compressor

Postby Myriad » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:21 am

Heat uses your engine coolant and doesn't require any extra power to make. A/C pulls power through the accessory belt and uses refrigerant in sealed lines.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:49 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Running ac without compressor

Postby guardian003 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:50 pm

Myriad wrote:Heat uses your engine coolant and doesn't require any extra power to make. A/C pulls power through the accessory belt and uses refrigerant in sealed lines.


Cool. Maybe the guy was on to something :mrgreen:
User avatar
guardian003
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:17 pm
Location: California

Re: Running ac without compressor

Postby Myriad » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:11 am

Maybe, but you wouldn't believe the number of people that do "Power steering deletes" without changing the rack&pinion just to "save some horsepower" on their EG's and DC2s. :cookoo:

The compressor works with a clutch for the pully; the pully freely spins when the compressor is not in use. Until you turn on the AC, it doesn't pull enough HP for you to notice.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:49 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Running ac without compressor

Postby Mista Bone » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:03 am

Myriad wrote:Maybe, but you wouldn't believe the number of people that do "Power steering deletes" without changing the rack&pinion just to "save some horsepower" on their EG's and DC2s. :cookoo:

The compressor works with a clutch for the pully; the pully freely spins when the compressor is not in use. Until you turn on the AC, it doesn't pull enough HP for you to notice.


The dyno noticed while I was testing in 1999 :) Simple razor blade was used to remove the AC belt on my 93 DX HB. Many runs made that day, I've only posted a limited few.

Image

Proper depowering of the PS rack is important. Simple looping is not the right way. Do it the Miata way.
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
User avatar
Mista Bone
 
Posts: 5318
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:11 pm
Location: Cincity, oHIo

Re: Running ac without compressor

Postby Myriad » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:43 am

I was looking at it for a while and didn't think it was much of a change, but then I punched the numbers into a calculator and saw I was wrong. Going off the 5% rule, 8 HP difference is big enough to feel on redline. Not much of anything until ~4k rpms, but that's semantics.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:49 pm
Location: Ohio


Return to Stock Garage

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests