(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

HF white smoke on startup

Got a problem with your stock CRX? This is where you should start.

Moderator: Moderators

HF white smoke on startup

Postby kracksmith » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:29 pm

it's a d15b6 with 276k plus. I only drive it granny style meaning only 65 - 70mph on the fwy and not rev pass 2K mostly.

I started experiencing white burning oil smell smoke when starting up but goes away. This seems to only happen if I didn't drive it for close to a week. If i drive it daily, i don't experience this.

with this many mileage, oil is seeping past the rings? but why only happens if i don't drive it for awhile and not daily though? also when it does smoke it goes away, what's the mechanical logic to that?
kracksmith

Re: HF white smoke on startup

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:48 pm

Rings maybe, but I check blow by and catch can (I know, if equipped) before calling rings out. I think folks jump to that conclusion too quickly. More likely valve stem seals and normal guide wear. As the engine heats up, operating clearances control oil, but cold parts fit differently than hot parts... easiest thing to do is replace your stem seals. Maybe overhaul the top end with a gasket kit. That should make it more tolerable. No smoke when warm is a good sign. Biggest thing to watch for is coked oil deposits developing on the back of the valve heads. That can really restrict air flow.

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk
Keep it real. This is the only Honda forum worth my time. You make it happen.
Gr8_EE8

Postby kracksmith » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:06 pm

yes i'm thinking to do as you said to change the valve seals. Looking through youtube at this, what is the purpose of the rope and how is the springs being hold down, looks like 2 clips but how is that holding the the spring with pressure, and seems like when he removed it, it was too easy to come off, like a wack with a socket on top of the spring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8WTTfkyW8g
kracksmith

Postby Mista Bone » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:38 am

Worn valve guides don't allow the valve seals to work, replacing the seals will do little.

88-91 style heads are prone to worn guide issues at 150-160k miles in DX/Si, being a HF and lower rpms that should take longer.
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Return to Stock Garage