(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Finally got around to working on the death trap

Got a problem with your stock CRX? This is where you should start.

Moderator: Moderators

Finally got around to working on the death trap

Postby umop3plsdn3dlus » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:29 pm

alright got a couple of questions and some updates. First off, finally got around to putting in the new transmission I got from CRXGarage. Its amazing what a coat of paint can do

I guess everyone was right on my last one. Here is the damage I found after taking the trans out.

So heres a question, the new trans doesn't have this piece for the speedo cable.

Can I remove it from the old one(this pic)? If so, How? is it simply unthreaded? Or do I even need it and im just not smart enough to reinstall the speedo cable? I'm sure its a combination of both, cause on the old trans I'm not even sure I understand how it supposed to go. Is it simply a pressure fit?

Anyway, said whatever I REALLY want to take it for a test drive, so I loaded up and back out into the street, tried to shift into first, then this happened.

snapped it right off, BECAUSE I'm impatient and didn't bother to replace the shift linkage bushing. So when I went to shift it didn't line up, and the weakest link was the shifter I guess cause that's what gave.

So, with that being said, is this what I need?

https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspension-16-1102R-Transmission-Stabilizer/dp/B000CN937G/ref=pd_sim_263_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000CN937G&pd_rd_r=WTVDR6WN2GFXSP4PGPN1&pd_rd_w=0Z6vB&pd_rd_wg=niU79&psc=1&refRID=WTVDR6WN2GFXSP4PGPN1

Give me some advice here on a new shifter and bushings. Not wanted to be too expensive cause this is the toy car. Just let me know your opinions, thanks.
Dustin - Central Texas
umop3plsdn3dlus

Re: Finally got around to working on the death trap

Postby kracksmith » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:33 am

how the heck did that break off that easily just because you didn't change to a new shifter bushing?
kracksmith

Postby JeffWilliamsUSA » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:40 am

There's one bolt in the cable drive for the speedometer cable. You're not seeing it because it's covered in dirt. Some people mistakenly refer to these as the VSS or vehicle speed sensor.
In reality the VSS is on the back of your speedometer and the cable just drives that VSS.

And yes you can swap that cable drive to the new transmission. All D series cable drives are the same
STUFF 4 SALE
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=190266
Our CRX Family :)
88 HF .. J2-ReX NeW
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=200562
89 DX .. K-ReX
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=47004
91 DX .. J-ReX
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=53872
JeffWilliamsUSA

Postby umop3plsdn3dlus » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:43 am

you mean this one here?

it had this plate/shim whatever on it,

if that's what your talking about, does it just twist out on threads? i didn't want to start wrenching on it and break it so I'm asking first lol
Dustin - Central Texas
umop3plsdn3dlus

Postby umop3plsdn3dlus » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:36 pm

Seriously, how the hell do I get this thing out. I cant find anything on the forums about cable drive or speedo cable receptacle thingy. All I see is how to install the cable.

It just spins, so do I need some kind of specialty tool or something?
Dustin - Central Texas
umop3plsdn3dlus

Postby umop3plsdn3dlus » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:32 pm

I am super annoyed. It got to the point that I was trying to take my old transmission apart to see if there was something I had to take apart on the inside to get the cable drive out. Why the hell did it never occur to me to just use the groove cut into that piece to pull it straight out. I have no idea, I guess cause I figured that there's no way not would be that simple. Anyway I got the cable drive out so thanks for the help. Now I just have to reinstall in the new trans.

Can someone answer me about those shift linkage bushings? Or link me to the correct ones. I'm ready to get this thing on the road again.

Thanks for your help guys. I'm learning a lot about the mechanical side of vehicles working on this thing.
Dustin - Central Texas
umop3plsdn3dlus

Return to Stock Garage