(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Electrical/Grinding Noise from behind Speedometer?

Got a problem with your stock CRX? This is where you should start.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby OculiAquilae » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:45 am

So I've done some research and reading, and I have an idea as to what this MAY be, but haven't found anything that actually gives me solid direction.

Here's a video of the sound my car is making: https://youtu.be/ZjIOCjHwEsE

The sound isn't as nasty as it is in this video. But it sounds like it's coming from behind the speedo. When I engine brake or even am partially off throttle/decelerating while on the gas, she'll eventually throw code 17 for the VSS. I had the dash open yesterday but couldn't see anything that looked awry. Even took a drive with the dash open. I definitely could've missed something as I'm new to CRXs. Thoughts?
On a possibly unrelated note, when she's cold, and I really get on the gas with the blinker on, my tach bounces all over. Any ideas there?
1991 Honda CRX Si - Tahitian Green
OculiAquilae

Re: Electrical/Grinding Noise from behind Speedometer?

Postby Baker » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:49 am

It was tough to see in the video, but does the speedometer work?
Could be the cluster has gone bad,
could need a new speedometer cable
http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 74#p471574

or the VSS is bad.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby OculiAquilae » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:29 pm

Yes, EVERYTHING on the gauge cluster works perfectly, with the exception of when I go WOT while using the blinker, at which point th tach bounces all over as I said.
So the sound is definitely the VSS? What about the tach bounce, any thoughts?
OculiAquilae

Postby Myriad » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:55 am

On really cold days, I can hear the VSS cable rattling about. From what I know, it just needs re-greased or replaced. I didn't see anything in your video about a "tach bounce", but if you have issues with your VSS or cable, then you can often see the speedometer bounce around. I see it on the highway; the needles shakes back and forth like a cold baby chihuahua.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Postby OculiAquilae » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:39 am

That's possible the same thing I'm hearing then. My noise gets louder with increased speed though, so I'm unsure how much sense that'd make. It's definitely coming from behind the gauge cluster on the speedometer side. It sounds almost like you're burning up a motor on handheld drill, if that makes sense?

As for the tach bounce, no that wasn't shown in the video. I tried that same morning and couldn't replicate it, probably because it's been so warm here lately, but this morning I'm certain I could have. When it's cold enough to do the tach-bounce, which only occurs while using a turn signal, you can see the turn signal dash light and brights dash light are partially illuminated. Then you turn on your turn signal, hit WOT, and voila, tach bounce.
My speedometer has never bounced.
OculiAquilae

Postby OculiAquilae » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:40 am

Myriad wrote:On really cold days, I can hear the VSS cable rattling about. From what I know, it just needs re-greased or replaced. I didn't see anything in your video about a "tach bounce", but if you have issues with your VSS or cable, then you can often see the speedometer bounce around. I see it on the highway; the needles shakes back and forth like a cold baby chihuahua.

Here's the tach bounce: https://youtu.be/d4A8MfPN-pY

Also, you refer to hearing the VSS cable rattling about, indicating the need to regrease or replace? What does that "rattling" sound like? Because my noise sounds like a metal/electrical grinding kinda like a handheld drill motor being burnt up. If that makes sense?
OculiAquilae

Postby Myriad » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:45 am

The sounds I hear are hard to explain. I guess the best way to describe it is pebbles in a tumbler. ... except it's metal. I hope that's accurate, I can't exactly replicate either sound on whim.

Myriad

Postby umop3plsdn3dlus » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:29 am

Just for [bits] n giggles, sometime during the day if you hav time, pull your fuses for the blinkers and try it again. If it still does it I'm guessing something mechanical involving moving the switch itself. If not then it's probably electrical along y path of the blinker. Idk, just what I would do when this first came to mind.
Dustin - Central Texas
umop3plsdn3dlus

Postby OculiAquilae » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:27 pm

umop3plsdn3dlus wrote:Just for [bits] n giggles, sometime during the day if you hav time, pull your fuses for the blinkers and try it again. If it still does it I'm guessing something mechanical involving moving the switch itself. If not then it's probably electrical along y path of the blinker. Idk, just what I would do when this first came to mind.

I didn't have my fuses pulled, but i have the gauge cluster taken apart, ie no turn signals plugged in, and it still made the noise, louder with speed (not engine speed)
OculiAquilae

Postby Myriad » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:28 am

I'm willing to bet we both hear the same sound. I cannot capture mine because the cabin isn't sealed; road noise drowns it out on video. If you're constantly hearing it, I think replacement is needed but can still be greased up to check. The VSS can be touched with lithium packing grease, the cable's a little harder to get to though.

Myriad

Postby OculiAquilae » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:26 pm

Myriad wrote:I'm willing to bet we both hear the same sound. I cannot capture mine because the cabin isn't sealed; road noise drowns it out on video. If you're constantly hearing it, I think replacement is needed but can still be greased up to check. The VSS can be touched with lithium packing grease, the cable's a little harder to get to though.

I'm sure you're right on that. I'll probably just replace it. Hopefully it's not too difficult. The part is just behind the gauge cluster, right? Pull some wires, put them back in on the new part and done? I read a forum post of people talking about it, but Idr exactly. Looks like I gotta go digging again haha. Thanks
OculiAquilae

Postby Myriad » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:49 am

Well, from what you've said, I don't think your VSS is the culprit (no speedo bounce). It's highly likely that it's your cable that's making the noise. Don't spend too much money on it though; I've never heard of a VSS cable snapping before.

Myriad

Postby OculiAquilae » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:09 am

Myriad wrote:Well, from what you've said, I don't think your VSS is the culprit (no speedo bounce). It's highly likely that it's your cable that's making the noise. Don't spend too much money on it though; I've never heard of a VSS cable snapping before.

Yeah, I pulled apart the gauge cluster and looked back there when it was warm out recently, and didn't see anything out of whack, but I also don't know what to look for aside from what would strike me as out of whack ha.
And it doesn't really make the noise when its like 60 degrees or warmer out.
I'll dig into it more this spring or summer. Thanks for the help, and idea, I have a feeling youre right about the wire itself
OculiAquilae

Return to Stock Garage