Honda CRX Forum banner

Noise coming from rear right wheel 90 CRX HF

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  wspangle 
#1 ·
Hello all, I hope someone can guide me to an answer. I've recently noticed a "clunking" noise coming from the rear right wheel while driving. I can't tell if it is happening when I hit a bump (the car isn't in the best shape and all my tools ride in the back so there is a lot of noise when I hit a bump) but it seems to happen randomly while cruising down the road. The best way to describe it: it sounds like when you drive over a bump at a high speed (a quick pop-pop). I checked all suspension components to find the trailing arm bushing was bad so I replaced it. It didn't help. Next I replaced the strut, again, no change. I put new tires on, still making the sound. All the other bushings look good. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
It is a stock hf, so it does not have a sway bar. I just pulled everything on the rear suspension off except the strut and trailing arm (because I just replaced them) and it does not look like any of the bushings are too worn. I know it's nothing in the car, I know it's not the trailing arm bushing, I know it's not the strut, and I know it's not the exhaust pipe hitting.

#4 ·
wspangle said:
It is a stock hf, so it does not have a sway bar. I just pulled everything on the rear suspension off except the strut and trailing arm (because I just replaced them) and it does not look like any of the bushings are too worn. I know it's nothing in the car, I know it's not the trailing arm bushing, I know it's not the strut, and I know it's not the exhaust pipe hitting.
Are you shocks installed correctly? Hardware all installed correctly?

#5 ·
Yes, everything is installed correctly. After further examination of the rest of the the suspension components, I found that all the bushings are dry rotted. This car has been in New Mexico it's whole life and it has 515,xxx miles on it. And it looks like it nothing (suspension wise) has been replaced.

I've ordered new (unfortunately not oem) suspension components today. When they come in and I have time to install them I'll let you know if it solves this noisy rear-end.
In the mean time, any more suggestions?

#6 ·
wspangle said:
Yes, everything is installed correctly. After further examination of the rest of the the suspension components, I found that all the bushings are dry rotted. This car has been in New Mexico it's whole life and it has 515,xxx miles on it. And it looks like it nothing (suspension wise) has been replaced.

I've ordered new (unfortunately not oem) suspension components today. When they come in and I have time to install them I'll let you know if it solves this noisy rear-end.
In the mean time, any more suggestions?
Change bushings!

#7 ·
I didn't see anywhere that you checked the brake drums and took them off to make sure everything inside the drums is still in good shape and nothing is broken or anything inside that could be clinging around.

Other than the brakes, definitely replace all the bushings that you can in the rear. If the rears were dry rotted you might also want to check the fronts in the near future as well and consider replacing all of those as well.

#9 ·
Update - After replacing the toe arm, camber arm, lower control arm, and trailing arm bushing, the noise is gone.

There wasn't a bushing that was obviously in need of replacing, but it seems that all the bushings were worn just enough to cause the suspension to move in ways it shouldn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.