Honda CRX Forum banner

91 Si No Crank troubles

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mossin_90 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I haven't posted here in years. I moved away for university and my car has been sitting at my parents for 3 years now, being scavenged for parts by my little brother. Now it's time to bring it back to life.

Went to get it going today... Had no battery so i hooked the leads to my booster pack. No crank. Fuel pump works, starter has 12V, starter signal is getting its 12V with the key turn. No crank. No sign of life from the starter. I cleaned up the thermostat housing ground. Added an extra ground from the battery to the valve cover for good measure.

I pulled the starter out and it worked great on the bench. :?

Any ideas? The parking brake light also lights up when the key is in the start position. This screams ground issues to me, but all my grounds are hooked up.

I forgot how fun it was to pull a starter on a B swap CRX. It's been so long.

#2 ·
get a continuity tester and test the ignition switch at the starter connector. test safety neutral switch. inspect starter relay as well.
turn ignition switch to on position, make sure the car is on Park or neutral and have the solenoid switch jumped from +12V straight from batery (SAFELY) if the car starts I suspect a bad ignition switch is at fault.

#3 ·
mossin_90 said:
get a continuity tester and test the ignition switch at the starter connector. test safety neutral switch. inspect starter relay as well.
turn ignition switch to on position, make sure the car is on Park or neutral and have the solenoid switch jumped from +12V straight from batery (SAFELY) if the car starts I suspect a bad ignition switch is at fault.
The NSS should be good, as it is trying to start (relay clicks, lights dim, etc.) With the clutch in, but not out. My multimeter read 12V at the space connecter on the solenoid.

#4 ·
To check the ground on the starter: grab multimeter, poke the starter case and car frame with the probes, check resistance. I'm thinking your starter solenoid is bad. It took a few runs on a bench tester to see mine went out.

If you've got the balls for it, have someone else press in the clutch and you hold a good wire from the starter to the solenoid; start it manually.

#5 ·
there is a solenoid kit to fix those starters.
if you remove the rear cover from the starter motor the pentagon shape cover you will see a worn out copper shim, plate, washer parts, mine does the same thing but to get it going I used a relay + hot wire to get enough juice to get it going.
the other option aside from replacing or rebuilding the starter motor is to just SAFELY hot start the car with a direc cable from battery + to solenoid. don't waste time banging the starter.
I hope Ive made some sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.