(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Aftermarket motor mounts?

Got a problem with your stock CRX? This is where you should start.

Moderator: Moderators

Aftermarket motor mounts?

Postby ChiRX » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:22 pm

Hi All,

I have a 1991 DX (automatic) that I'm restoring, trying to get as close to stock perfection as I can.

Just wondering if any of you have had experience with aftermarket motor mounts. Mine needs a front center mount and my mechanic discouraged me from going aftermarket.

Still hoping to replace it. Any thoughts?
"Cars and cameras are the two things I let myself be materialistic about. I don't care about other stuff."

~Louis C.K.
ChiRX

Re: Aftermarket motor mounts?

Postby Myriad » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:36 pm

http://www.rockauto.com Scroll to Honda, scroll to 1991, scroll through Crx to Engine, scroll to Motor Mount, throw money at your screen and curse the computer gods for rejecting your offering. Repeat as needed for what is needed.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Postby Mista Bone » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:19 pm

If front center mount is torn, most likely the rear is bad as well. The front mount, IMHO does very little.
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby ChiRX » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:17 am

Thanks for the responses; I'm in no rush to replace it, may try a highly-rated aftermarket solution, but if my Rex starts vibrating I'll just pop the OEM unit back in.
"Cars and cameras are the two things I let myself be materialistic about. I don't care about other stuff."

~Louis C.K.
ChiRX

Postby Mista Bone » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:45 pm

I have the ES inserts in the rear mount, might be only for 5 speeds though. It does vibrate at idle but during cruise it is not an issue for me.

But while the driveline is out, I might remove the inserts as it was causing a shifter rattle due to a worn ball cage.
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby theinfamousw » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:06 am

just go on rockauto or partsgeek and get one of those mounts, they're cheap but some of them are actually well made and come with a warranty. I Have some MTC and beck/arnley ones and they're decent. It may last a year, it may last five, but for around $20 it's not bad. just make sure to get the one for the auto since they are different
I like my women like my CRX. Short, sexy, and with a rear end that makes you say "I bet she handles like a dream"
theinfamousw

Postby Myriad » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:06 am

Be careful about not replacing worn mounts. Like bone, I also think the front mount doesn't carry much, but other worn mounts can do more than just transfer vibration to the chassis. I've had 2 broken exhaust flex-pipe's on the same car, and we're looking at a bad mount as the cause.

For a stock car, anything other than the oem rubber mounts are overkill. Brand-name aftermarket mounts will be ridiculously expensive too.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Postby tommy » Mon May 01, 2017 8:19 am

I have Explicit Speed motor mounts. They vibrate enough to loosen fillings (and their [crummy] customer service rivals Bisi's). I'd agree on any aftermarkets being overkill on a daily driver. A middle ground might be Hardrace mounts, which are harder rubber than stock but not poly silliness.
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Postby ChiRX » Mon May 01, 2017 2:46 pm

Thanks for the help everyone; from my understanding my mech only mentioned the front mount and I'm not feeling any noticeable impact on drive quality.

Will resurrect this thread if I do end up throwing in something A/M though. Of course I'll be hanging onto the OEM mount if an off-brand one starts shaking the car to bits :wink:

~Louis C.K.
ChiRX

Return to Stock Garage