(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

gas tank question

Got a problem with your stock CRX? This is where you should start.

Moderator: Moderators

gas tank question

Postby kracksmith » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:12 pm

Just opened my sending unit and looked down my gas tank, it has rust inside. although it starts and runs fine i'm worried it'll mess up my new fuel filter I put in 1 year ago. I'm trying to look for a new gas tank and the ebay ones i see are pretty cheap in price and doesn't seem to have a drain plug. I do prefer to have a drain plug.

Also ebay sells used OEM gas tank but it's 3 times as much as a aftermarket one. why is a old OEM gas tank so much more than a new aftermarket gas tank?
kracksmith

Re: gas tank question

Postby Baker » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:10 am

kracksmith wrote:Also ebay sells used OEM gas tank
but it's 3 times as much as a aftermarket one. why is a old OEM gas tank so much more than a new aftermarket gas tank?

eBay doesn't sell anything.
OEM tanks are more expensive because they are simply OEM.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby kracksmith » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:52 pm

Yes right ebay isn't a store. i keep on forgetting. i should to refer it as ebay sellers instead.
kracksmith

Postby theinfamousw » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:41 am

Why don't you just drop and drain your tank and put a couple gals of white vinegar in there for a couple hrs, then rinse out with a little gas and good to go. BTW oem tanks are more expensive because they're harder to find and they're usually built better than the aftermarkets
I like my women like my CRX. Short, sexy, and with a rear end that makes you say "I bet she handles like a dream"
theinfamousw

Postby Baker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:50 am

theinfamousw wrote:Why don't you just drop and drain your tank and put a couple gals of white vinegar in there for a couple hrs, then rinse out with a little gas and good to go.

I would spend the time and do that before I dropped money on another tank, especially if there is nothing wrong with the tank.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby kracksmith » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:20 pm

yea nothing wrong with the tank. since i thought it's rusted, not super bad but rusted spots spread out.

what would white vinegar do? or should I buy a couple of gallon of that rust cleaning chemical?

I just though to buy a new after market tank cuz it's so cheap but maybe not if the white vinegar can clean up all the rust spots inside.
kracksmith

Postby Baker » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:49 am

kracksmith wrote:what would white vinegar do?

You could look this stuff up yourself?
http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Removing_ ... a_gas_tank

Using vinegar is pretty common. When my father would restore antique cars, and needed to clean the used tanks, he'd use vinegar.
I would stay away from chemicals if you can, just to avoid the personal hazards that many pose.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby theinfamousw » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:00 am

Vinegar will remove the rust, works very well and is alot cheaper than some chemical treatment. Just make sure to rinse it out with some gas before you put it back on and only need 2 hrs or prob less to get the rust off. I've used it on a motorcycle gas tank and looked brand new and shiny inside after 30 mins
I like my women like my CRX. Short, sexy, and with a rear end that makes you say "I bet she handles like a dream"
theinfamousw

Return to Stock Garage