(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Fluid leaks -- What do I do next?

Got a problem with your stock CRX? This is where you should start.

Moderator: Moderators

Fluid leaks -- What do I do next?

Postby ChiRX » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi All,

I've been restoring my '91 DX for some time now. It's been a blast, the biggest thing I'd like to address now are the fluid leaks I've noticed.

See the pictures below;

You'll see a synthetic oil leak and what appears to be ATF.

Here you can see where I first placed foam core board beneath my Rex to track the leaks.

This photo taken on the same day, pulled the board out.

I went to my local highly-rated mechanic and he told me the drive axle seals needed to be replaced. He also flushed / replaced my brake and ATF (which was low, leading me to think it's been leaking for some time).

This picture is from last night; I had let the car sit in the garage and took it for a spin last night, noticing that the leaks remain and look even more extensive (it's streaking on the board because I laid it on its side in the garage when I took the drive).

Any ideas about what is causing this to continue? I've had extensive repairs performed (all belts replaced), gaskets, etc...
"Cars and cameras are the two things I let myself be materialistic about. I don't care about other stuff."

~Louis C.K.
ChiRX

Re: Fluid leaks -- What do I do next?

Postby ChiRX » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:51 pm

P.S. I will post the laundry list of repairs for reference as soon as I can get back to my filing cabinet.
"Cars and cameras are the two things I let myself be materialistic about. I don't care about other stuff."

~Louis C.K.
ChiRX

Postby jfrolang » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:05 pm

If you're unable to see where the leaks are coming from, clean up the engine bay with a degreaser first.
jfrolang
Site Admin

Postby Myriad » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:15 am

Red? yeah, that's atf. It's right over your torque converter too. I had some leaky cooling hoses with mine, so I'd check those first, then I'd wipe clean the transmission-to-block mating area. If it's leaking through the bell-housing, you should be able to spot the dribble.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Postby ChiRX » Mon May 01, 2017 2:50 pm

jfrolang wrote:If you're unable to see where the leaks are coming from, clean up the engine bay with a degreaser first.

I'm glad that my shop performed an engine detail during the last round of repairs, should make it much easier to spot the remaining drips.

Myriad wrote:Red? yeah, that's atf. It's right over your torque converter too. I had some leaky cooling hoses with mine, so I'd check those first, then I'd wipe clean the transmission-to-block mating area. If it's leaking through the bell-housing, you should be able to spot the dribble.

I will share your suggestions verbatim with my mech and see if he's able to discover anything in the parts you mentioned above.

Thank you both!

~Louis C.K.
ChiRX

Postby ChiRX » Sat May 13, 2017 4:15 pm

UPDATE:

Finally got around to taking her in; driver-side axle seal that was recently replaced was faulty (part mfr. claimed it was OEM but it was Made in China, so yeah...)

Mech is reordering a NAPA seal and will pop it in and drive to test; hopefully this will be resolved.

As for the synthetic leak, it's coming from a botched oil pan gasket replacement (had this done at Midas; last time I ever go there). Mech will replace this as well.

Will post another update once I get her back.

~Louis C.K.
ChiRX

Postby Myriad » Sun May 21, 2017 11:36 pm

Good thing it wasn't a serious break! :-)b
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Return to Stock Garage