(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Confused on what CRX I'm looking at

Got a problem with your stock CRX? This is where you should start.

Moderator: Moderators

Confused on what CRX I'm looking at

Postby THEirltfg » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:07 pm

I know this is going to be a really weird low but I'm confused on a CRX I may be purchasing.
On the craigslist as it said it was a 90 SI. The first thing I noticed when I went to go see it was that it had read drum brakes. Also, I believe that the sun roof was not fully metal, but glass. The car is also Tahitian green which I saw on Wikipedia that only comes in 91 CRX SI. The last thing I'm confused about is that the back hatch glass panel says SIR but that could have easily been replaced I'm assuming?

I don't have any pictures of it right now but I'm going to inspect it more and better when I go to look at it again and possibly get it. Is there anything else I should definitely check out or look for that could help figure out what it really is? I'm also going to look at the title to see what it says.

Thanks.
THEirltfg

Re: Confused on what CRX I'm looking at

Postby jfrolang » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:47 pm

The first digits of the VIN will tell you for sure. Based on your description, I'd be surprised if it was an Si.

JHMED9 = Si
JHMED835 or JHMED845 = Dx
JHMED836 = HF

Celestial Blue Pearl was a color available on the 90-91 Dx that is sometimes confused for Tahitian Green. In different lighting conditions they can look similar. There is a sticker in the driver's side door jamb that has the paint code. If it is still present and legible, Tahitian Green is BG-28P. Celestial Blue is B-53P.
jfrolang
Site Admin

Postby THEirltfg » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:47 pm

jfrolang wrote:The first digits of the VIN will tell you for sure. Based on your description, I'd be surprised if it was an Si.

JHMED9 = Si
JHMED835 or JHMED845 = Dx
JHMED836 = HF

Celestial Blue Pearl was a color available on the 90-91 Dx that is sometimes confused for Tahitian Green. In different lighting conditions they can look similar. There is a sticker in the driver's side door jamb that has the paint code. If it is still present and legible, Tahitian Green is BG-28P. Celestial Blue is B-53P.

Vin told me it was a DX lol. Someone tried really hard to make it look like a SIR. They put the SIR sticker on the back, cut a hole in the roof and put a "sunroof" in...., and swap day JDM B16A. Color code was not correct as well so it wasnt Tahitian geeen.
THEirltfg

Postby Cementups » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:45 pm

THEirltfg wrote:Also, I believe that the sun roof was not fully metal, but glass.

Thanks.

Sunroofs are metal, moonroofs are glass.

You're welcome.
Cementups

Postby Myriad » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:26 am

Some DX's had the dealer option for a moon-roof to be added out of the factory. I was looking at getting one of those a couple years ago.

Be sure to check the engine bay and look for the engine code that's stamped on the block. If it says anything other than "D15B2", then be prepared for a lot of work.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Postby THEirltfg » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:32 pm

Myriad wrote:Some DX's had the dealer option for a moon-roof to be added out of the factory. I was looking at getting one of those a couple years ago.

Be sure to check the engine bay and look for the engine code that's stamped on the block. If it says anything other than "D15B2", then be prepared for a lot of work.

It was B16A swapped. Are the moon-roofs moveable or just literally a clear, glass cut-out that is in place and doesn't move?
THEirltfg

Postby jfrolang » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:02 pm

Myriad wrote:Some DX's had the dealer option for a moon-roof to be added out of the factory. I was looking at getting one of those a couple years ago.

The dealer option sunroof was just a locally-installed aftermarket job. It was a common dealer add-on for many cars of the era. If you have documentation showing a Dx with a factory-installed sunroof, that would be a big damn deal.
jfrolang
Site Admin

Postby Myriad » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:16 pm

Well, I did say it was a dealer option. :lol: My mistake. I knew it was an option for off-the-lot new crx's, but didn't remember that it was done at the dealership.

THEirltfg wrote:It was B16A swapped. Are the moon-roofs moveable or just literally a clear, glass cut-out that is in place and doesn't move?
Moon-roofs are a type of sun-roof. Sun-roofs can be anything from a canvas covered hole in the roof to a hard-metal cover that pops out. Moon-roof are specifically glass and, since it's a type of sun-roof, they do open. Though, I've known a couple people to permanently seal them closed.

That crx will probly be a lot of work or, if you're not mechanically inclined, a lot of money in the long run. If you do want to buy it, don't pay too much for it. He'll try to tell you that the b16 engine makes it worth more, I know it.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Postby tommy » Mon May 01, 2017 8:15 am

There are some factory moon roofs that don't open at all and are just planes of glass. I don't know what they specifically call it, but I would call the Si-R glass roof a moon roof.
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Postby jfrolang » Mon May 01, 2017 8:58 pm

tommy wrote:I would call the Si-R glass roof a moon roof.

I think you'd be alone with that. The glass roof option wasn't exclusive to the SiR, BTW.

Google, KBB, and Cars.com all agree in the definition of a moonroof: It is a glass sunroof that opens into or above the roof of the car. So a moonroof is a type of sunroof, like a square is a type of rectangle. You're not wrong to call a square a rectangle, but you will get funny looks.
jfrolang
Site Admin

Postby tommy » Tue May 02, 2017 10:30 am

jfrolang wrote:but you will get funny looks.

It's ok, I'm used to it. I'd more likely call a non-opening glass ceiling a moonroof than a sunroof, and don't really care who says otherwise, honestly. I've got my logic, they've got theirs. Has worked for me for 50 years without killing me so far.
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Return to Stock Garage