(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

MY CRX CAUGHT ON FIRE!!! Need help to find the cause

Got a problem with your stock CRX? This is where you should start.

Moderator: Moderators

MY CRX CAUGHT ON FIRE!!! Need help to find the cause

Postby r_trinidaddy » Wed May 10, 2017 2:49 am

Hey CRX community,
Im here in Seattle, WA, and I recently bought a nice 1991 CRX Si. The car was running great but a week later, the car started to act funny. Sometimes it wouldn't start at all. When I was driving on the freeway, I was going 60mph, then I let go of the gas to slow down for traffic and when I get back on the gas, the car bogs and it dies, as if there was no power, and the car eventually dies and I had to pull over. I stopped and looked under the hood, and nothing seemed to be wrong, no smoke, no smell, nothing. So I let it sit for 5 min, and drove it off again. the next day I let my dad drive it to work, and I get a call at 12 noon saying the car caught on fire and he needs to be picked up on the freeway!

The story of the car catching on fire is, my dad was going uphill 65mph on the very left lane, let go of the gas and the bogged, when stepping on the gas there was no power. The car was loosing speed quick and he was going uphill and needed to merge 4 lanes to the right, so he told me he downshifted and had the gas all the way to the floor, BUT the car burst into flames under the hood and he safely pulled over. When someone helped him with a fire extinguisher, the fire came from the Intake side near the fire wall.

I have pictures and will upload them soon, my question is what do you think caused the fire? I can't think of anything honestly because the fire happened on the intake side rather than the exhaust side.

Thanks!
r_trinidaddy

Re: MY CRX CAUGHT ON FIRE!!! Need help to find the cause

Postby kracksmith » Wed May 10, 2017 10:14 pm

I was going to say 99% it's the ignition switch because of the no power when driving and because of the fire but since you said it came from from under the hood near the firewall then i don't know. must have been a short there. So how do you know for sure it came from a firewall are facing the engine side?

Here is my ignition switch that almost caught fire in my crx too. i'm driving down the freeway and lost power. i pull over and tried to restart, it cranks but no start, i let it sit for 5 mintues and start again and it starts fine and drove home and even filled up gas on the way home and no problem.

i didn't trust it and just basically trying to find out what the heck just driving around my block and it happens again, no power and dies. then my driving wheel area was smoking. So with this said, i turned it off and diagnose what the hell was smoking so i seen my ignition switch and the contact was arching, this arch is enough to catch on fire.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=108505
kracksmith

Postby r_trinidaddy » Wed May 10, 2017 11:20 pm

Here are some pictures after I washed the engine bay to see the burn marks.
ImageImageImageImageImage
r_trinidaddy

Postby r_trinidaddy » Wed May 10, 2017 11:22 pm

kracksmith wrote:I was going to say 99% it's the ignition switch because of the no power when driving and because of the fire but since you said it came from from under the hood near the firewall then i don't know. must have been a short there. So how do you know for sure it came from a firewall are facing the engine side?

Here is my ignition switch that almost caught fire in my crx too. i'm driving down the freeway and lost power. i pull over and tried to restart, it cranks but no start, i let it sit for 5 mintues and start again and it starts fine and drove home and even filled up gas on the way home and no problem.

i didn't trust it and just basically trying to find out what the heck just driving around my block and it happens again, no power and dies. then my driving wheel area was smoking. So with this said, i turned it off and diagnose what the hell was smoking so i seen my ignition switch and the contact was arching, this arch is enough to catch on fire.

http://www.crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=108505

Thanks man, Im going to replace my ignition switch and hopefully when I replace the engine and rebuild the car it won't have that problem again.
r_trinidaddy

Postby Robb » Fri May 12, 2017 8:52 pm

Electrical gremlins !
Yes our cars are old !!
Robb

Return to Stock Garage