(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

1986 CRX Combination Switch

Got a problem with your stock CRX? This is where you should start.

Moderator: Moderators

1986 CRX Combination Switch

Postby truxson » Sun May 14, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi Folks:
I am trying to get a 1986 CRX, A/C, A/T back on the road. It took me almost 3 years to find a previous owner willing to get a replacement title, but that's done, and the wreck damage is fixed. Well sort of....The car spent some time in a salvage yard. Someone destroyed the dash, so I had to replace it. Silly me, I didn't check to see if the combination switch was working properly before I started replacing the dash.

Now to my question....
I got the dash replaced with no major problems. I thought I had everything hooked up right, but now I'm doubting myself. The headlights, tail lights, and marker lights work. The dash lights, turn signals, flashers, and maybe the horn don't work. I took the dash down a second time to look for anything I missed the first time, finding nothing wrong.

How Can I test the combination switch, or if someone has gone through this before and have another possibility of a problem, I'm all ears!

The car had light wreck damage on the passenger front. That's fixed, and I had to repair a number of wires in that area, but the headlight/marker light works.

Sorry to take so much space here to tell the story, but I'm hoping someone can help me get this car back on the street. My wife can't drive my Manual Transmission CRX, so this one is for her.

Regards, David
(truxson)
truxson

Re: 1986 CRX Combination Switch

Postby Myriad » Thu May 25, 2017 10:49 pm

Well, my first instinct is to try to turn on the car and press buttons to see if they work. It sounds like you aren't able to do so? If you doubt the switch, then use a multimeter to check the continuity of wires when the switch functions are pressed; one lobe to the power wire going to the switch, other lobe to the destination wire.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Re: 1986 CRX Combination Switch

Postby truxson » Sat May 27, 2017 12:33 pm

Thanks for the advice. It's appreciated.

Yes, I tried the start the car and press buttons scenario. Not a lot was working with regard to directional signals and flashers. The horn didn't work, but I finally determined that both horns had 'open' circuits, so a fresh set from eBay has that problem fixed.

There are a myriad of connections in the multi-switch. Any advice on which ones to test?

Regards, David.
truxson

Return to Stock Garage