Honda CRX Forum banner

The New Daily {Back on the road}

8K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  As I Conspire 
#1 ·
alrighty guys check it out, finally picked up my 2001 accord EX

P.O. painted the valve cover with ****ty teal paint.... and sprayed it EVERYWHERE

also he tinted the rear tails, and has an alfred state sticker on it, cool he goes to the college i went too, but he still tinted the tails :?

so i took that **** off!

interior is near mint, a few stains, a few blown bulbs, ill be replacing all of the interior lights with led

underneath was in great shape! a few scaly seams but i ground it down, sprayed it with zinc phosphate, por-15, then undercoated the whole thing

toothpaste on the headlights.
before

after

next on the list
- brakes, pads
- plugs, wires, cap, rotor
- oem wing
- coupe front end conversion with yellow fogs
- led interior lights
- respray paint

See less See more
#5 ·
The sedans never came in black leather and I highly doubt the coupe seats will fit. you'll most like have to take it from an older TL, since they closely resemble our cars.

#10 ·
changed out the brakes and took it for a test drive.

was working on it for about 5 hours, got everything i touched coated with never seize and TORQUED TO SPEC!

took it for a test drive and the ball joints failed at 40-45mph, tire rolled back, destroyed the axel, fender, door, strut and strut fork, control arms, rocker, rim and tire, and ill have to check the transmission to make sure thats ok.

this happened at 10pm about a mile from my house. had no phone, license, insurance cards, its all at the house, so i started running, got the the house and ran back to the car (im 240 lbs, fuck that running **** ) completely forgot to grab my jacket, get back and call a tow, "ill call back in 5 minutes, it will be around 185 dollars" {12 ish} noone called, ive called him multiple times with no reply, my neighbor happens to see me from down the street and she comes to see whats going on.

she gave me a smoke, i sat in her car and warmed up, and called EVERYWHERE for about 30 minutes, no help from anywhere, not even my insurance company, so she calls her AAA and puts me on it and has a tow come, bout an hour later the truck comes and i help him get it on there.

got it back to the house, and now its back to working on the car. (ive been up since 1am thursday.....)

heres some pictures

#11 ·
Wow, that's extremely unfortunate.. if you have comprehensive (maybe liability, one of those two) on your insurance, that should help you out a lot. Just take it to a shop for a quote on everything that was damaged as a result of this, pay your deductible and they'll send you a check to fix it. Don't even need to have the shop fix it, you can use that money on high quality parts and do the labor yourself. At least that's how I understood it when my mom's latch gave out on the camry and sent the hood through the windshield.

#13 ·
It looks like that the "socket" part of the ball joint is still intact on the lca, so did it snap right where the threads start?

#14 ·
even though it was unfortunate that i had the incident, ive taken advantage of the situation.

picked up a ball joint for and press, had to macgyver a setup to drive apart the balljoints.

1/2" breaker bar, 36mm socket, new tie rod, ball joints, ect.

upper control arm got twisted and no longer has upward tension, and that ball joint is shot.

the culprit and the newbie

knuckle casting got in the way of the new flange.

got it pressed in, this ball joint has a nipple that's supposed to be in the top but it would hit the "ABS Halls" on the axle, so i took it out, and epoxied the top.

luck has it the axle separated before any damage to the transmission happened, im leaving this in here for now so i don't have a mess

heading to the salvage yard tomorrow for a new valve cover, axle, coupe front bumper, fog lights, fenders, and hood. and all swap out the tie rod end, get it put back together, and ill be good!!!

also got my motor mounts in today, and my spark plugs, ill replace them tomorow

#15 ·
just got the car all back together after a balljoint failure.
car ran perfectly when it happened so here is a short list of things replaced while the car was being repaired

- plugs and wires (double checked firing order)
- ball joints
- tie rod
- axle

What i DO know
- no codes, i have a reader
- its not an axle knock, it will roll but has almost no power, couldnt even get over a hump in the driveway
- knock is consistent with engine RPM and when you let off the throttle it struggles to stay on
- possibly a shot transmission from the accident thats causing strain on the engine?

ideas of things to check????

video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrzmGhu ... e=youtu.be

#16 ·
Sounds like it runs on 2 cylinders :chin: . Make sure you getting spark to all cylinders.You can just pull one spark plug wire at the time while engine running (not right way but easiest) .Also you may want crankshaft position censor ,you will have to take lower timing cover off). I had 96 Accord EX (VTEC) as my DD before and that sensor broke off from daily driving.There is two sensors btw

#18 ·
ok guys got it figured out, turns out i was using the timing from the non vtec distributor, got that all fixed, everything is sparking hard, compression test yielded ~160 Psi.

the hard knocking sound was coming from the engine shaking against the bad front motor mount, ill have that changed out tomorrow!!!

#21 ·
Balljoints coming out of sockets seems to be common on Accords, but usually they make noise for a few days before it happens.

I hope you greased the balljoint before you expoyed that hole closed. The ones that come with grease fittings usually ARE NOT greased adequately when they ship and it will fail very quickly when dry. And they're usually fairly cheaply made.

#23 ·
Next on the list....

- new moog lower ball joints.
- new moog upper control arms
- clutch
- flywheel
- axles
- rear engine mount
- slave cylinder
- master cylinder

-.- the clutch makes a horrible clunking noise, especially in reverse, but as soon as its fully engaged it goes away.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

#24 ·
alrighty guys so i still have a pretty bad clunk, im HOPING that its coming from the rear mount.

stuff i got ready

- Intake Manifold Gasket Set
- Valve Cover Gasket Set
- Rear Engine Mount
- Clutch Master Cylinder
- Slave Master Cylinder
- Carb Cleaner

hopefully the rear mount being replaced will stop the knocking, if not ill be replacing the clutch, all of the control arms, and all of the ball joints.

BUT id like you guys to take a look at the picture, im missing #31, highlighted, would this cause excessive knocking in the mount? id say no but you never know.

so after this weekend when i replace all of this, ill report back, and let you guys know whats going on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.