(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

considering buying a 1st gen CRV, comments welcome

Car talk not CRX related goes in here.

Moderator: Moderators

considering buying a 1st gen CRV, comments welcome

Postby mossin_90 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:41 pm

Hi; CRXComm.
I am considering buying a 1 st gen CRV, I'm looking for a 5sp 99-01.
IDK if going AWD though but would like to hear comments of what are the most common problems with either awd or 5sp. I am not contemplating an automatic at this time.

thanks for any feedback.
'90 CRX DX_5sp
"Maybe it's better that way... memories can be terribly painful, being able to forget is a great blessing"
mossin_90

Re: considering buying a 1st gen CRV, comments welcome

Postby MexiChriS » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:09 pm

I'd snag a AWD if it came up. Used to see a lot of them around my area and now they're pretty rare and, if in smooth, good running condition on the gears.

As much I like the 1st gen. You can't beat that 2nd gen interior layout and that passenger side layout. One of the reasons I've never picked up a CRV. Could never decide on AWD 1st gen or 2nd gen for its interior setup.

What are you reasons for getting a CRV and considerations for AWD? Would be nice to know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1988 CRX Si (shell) D16z6 OBD1 In Progress <--- Build Thread
1990 Civic Wagon D15b2 (SOLD)
1972 Datsun 240z - L24 w/stock SU Carbs (SOLD)
MexiChriS

Postby synergy10 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:39 am

You're definitely on the right track (5 speed, 99-01 (slightly stronger motor and darker interior with rear cupholders as opposed to the 97-98)). If you're dead set on a 5 speed manual, then you'll end up with an AWD model regardless. If I remember correctly, all 5 speed manual, 1st gen CRV's only come with AWD.

I know you didn't ask about issues with the motor, but make sure to perform regular valve adjustments...maybe even more often then recommended. As for the 5 spd, I never had any issues with my previous CRV (had it for a little over a year and managed to put about 30k miles on it). With the AWD system just make sure the rear diff has fresh fluid. If you hear a humming noise coming from the rear during sharp/u turns, it should just need a rear diff drain/fill.

It's been a little while since I've been in the CRV "game" but I'm pretty sure most of this is right...haha. :-)b
synergy10

Postby Baker » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:46 am

I had a 1st gen(2000) 5 spd Crv.
I liked it, though felt it was a bit under powered.
I like the exterior, and interior layout is nice as well, feels very "Civic -esque".
The folded card table in the rear cargo area is odd little touch, but kind of cool nonetheless.
No problems with the motor or transmission, but as mentioned, do the valve adjustments and just keep the motor maintained.
The 2nd gen is nice too, last generation it comes available as a 5spd, has the K motor and is rock solid.
Feels more like it's own model instead of borrowed parts from a Civic though.

Either one, you shouldn't be disappointed.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby mossin_90 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:17 pm

Thanks for your replies, I'm set on a 5sp since I am considering moving up north and I will not sacrifice the Crx I'd rather sell it down here in Fl where hopefully it won't rust. Also I don't trust used auto. Transmission. I was able to refresh my 5sp Dx with the help of this forum, something I don't think I can do on a auto trans. In any case I don't know how reliable the awds are. Thus my post. Thanks for all your help
'90 CRX DX_5sp
"Maybe it's better that way... memories can be terribly painful, being able to forget is a great blessing"
mossin_90

Postby Baker » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:59 am

If I were looking at Crv's, because of the fit and finish of it, and it has the K series it it, I'd look for a second gen.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby Cingham » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:23 pm

as much as i enjoyed the first gen I like my 08 better. I pretend to go off road

Cingham

Return to Everything Else Automotive