(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Toyota Corolla Trans vs clutch?

Car talk not CRX related goes in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Toyota Corolla Trans vs clutch?

Postby RamaCrx » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:05 am

My 2006 Corolla FWD with 210,000 miles suddenly died. The car is in generally very good condition. I started out from a dead stop and suddenly heard a 'clunk clunk' heavy metal sound and it almost seemed like the car was wobbling. I stopped and checked to make sure I wasn't dragging anything, checked the axles and they were fine, and tried it again. With the car in neutral, all sounds fine with clutch in or out. I can put it in any gear easily. When I slowly release the clutch it makes a 'clunk clunk' noise and the car won't move. Car rolls fine in neutral. Gear does not matter.
I am not sure if this problem is a broken clutch or something broken in transmission like diff pin etc. Of course if I take the trans and look at clutch I could tell, but to remove clutch/trans in this car is a royal pain in the butt, much harder than in a honda civic/crx.
Does anyone have any idea if I could distinguish between this being a catastrophic failure in the clutch vs some broken part in the transmission without me pulling the transmission/clutch? I just don't have it in me to do this job now. If it was my CRX I would in a heartbeat, but trust me it's much harder on this car. Cost for clutch replacement on this car is close to 1500 and I'm not even sure it's the clutch. If it's the transmission, the cost will easily exceed the value of the car.
Any help appreciated.
RamaCrx

Re: Toyota Corolla Trans vs clutch?

Postby daveb91 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:44 am

Is there an inspection plate? I guess clutch could of disintegrated. Will the tires move while up on jack stands? In gear..could be the end of one of the drive shafts...kind of hard to tell.
daveb91

Postby bairdandrew77 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:20 pm

I'm leaning towards transmission, mainly because something very similar happened to an accord I had. When's the last time the fluid was changed or even checked if there was any fluid in there? Hopefully I'm wrong and it's just a clutch or something cheaper, just speaking from experience.

To get a better idea, try reproducing the problem with the front wheels in the air using proper jack stands (safety first). Have a friend other person in the car putting it in gear and such while you isolate the problem.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk
1986 Honda CRX- Sold; 1999 Honda Accord EX- H23A VTEC swap; 1997 Ford F350 crew cab long bed- Sold; 1996 Ford Explorer- Sold; 1989 Honda CRX- minime swap
bairdandrew77

Postby RamaCrx » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:39 pm

I'll put it on stands and see. Good ideas. I'll also check for window to look in although I don't recall seeing one in the past. I agree I'm thinking trans. This car has been ZERO repairs except for clutch replacement in past about 50,000 miles ago.
RamaCrx

Postby RamaCrx » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:54 pm

So I jack it up and turn the drivers side wheel while the car is in gear. It just spins!!! I look at axle and it looks intact with the boots in perfect condition. I notice though the axle looked a bit out of allignment to the cv joint. So I spin the wheel and see that the axle turns but the inner boot/cv does not move!! The axle is broken inside the boot. It has not leaked even a drop of grease.

Thanks guys for getting me to look under there more carefully. The Corolla lives on!!!!! Long live the Corolla!
RamaCrx

Postby daveb91 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:11 pm

Sounds like an easier fix....path of least resistance...
daveb91

Return to Everything Else Automotive