(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Ranting about my '08 Volvo S40

Car talk not CRX related goes in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Ranting about my '08 Volvo S40

Postby ngrif2020 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:35 am

First, I want to say that I am blessed to have such a nice car for my first car. It's great that I have a car at all. And I get it, first cars are supposed to have some ticks and bugs. But I'm tired of this [crud] with Volvo-

I got the car from Volvo for roughly 7k in August 2015, and they told me it had no problems, that everything had been fixed and updated, and the timing belt had just been replaced and it had gotten a new battery. Fast forward to December 2015, and the battery dies. So I missed work, and when I took it into the shop, they told me there was a software update that needed to be done that came out in mid-2014, and that was the reason for the battery dying (it involved the radio antenna searching for a signal even when the radio was off and car wasn't running). And then they charged me $100 for their time, and another $75 for the new battery. Kinda pissed about that, but no big deal. Problem fixed, or so I thought.

It's now December and I've had to jump my car 4 times in the last month.

They lied to me about the car's quality and readiness, and I will not buy a Volvo used again.

Wish I could just sell my car and buy a CRX, but my parents don't want their college kid doing that, especially when we still owe on the car. UGH!
ngrif2020

Re: Ranting about my '08 Volvo S40

Postby Baker » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:38 am

Have you checked the alternator?
Does the car have Sirius/XM?

http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s40- ... ain-70295/

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread ... in-Problem

It may be an easy fix.
The Crx is not without it problems either, especially since the newest one is 20 yrs old, it's probably been modified and beaten on, and more than likely the proper maintenance has not been kept up.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby ngrif2020 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:11 pm

Baker wrote:Have you checked the alternator?
Does the car have Sirius/XM?

http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s40- ... ain-70295/

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread ... in-Problem

It may be an easy fix.
The Crx is not without it problems either, especially since the newest one is 20 yrs old, it's probably been modified and beaten on, and more than likely the proper maintenance has not been kept up.

I have an OBD/EOBD, Battery Monitor & CAN Diagnostic tool that tells me everything is good with the alternator.

It does have SirusXM Radio capability but not active.

That's fine for a 25 year old car to have problems but as an every day car, it needs to run smoothly and efficiently without problems. Any CRX I get would realistically be a fixer upper anyways and I would still have my Volvo for everyday driving
ngrif2020

Postby Baker » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:54 am

ngrif2020 wrote:That's fine for a 25 year old car to have problems but as an every day car, it needs to run smoothly and efficiently without problems.

Yes, but lets not forget, you're dealing with a nearly 10 yr old car, which in all fairness will have it's issues as well.

As for overall quality and fit and finish, I would never buy a MK4 VW Golf/Jetta again.
Point being, we've all had "those" cars that seem to give us problems.
Hopefully it's an easy fix and you get it sorted out.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby ngrif2020 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:36 pm

Baker wrote:
ngrif2020 wrote:That's fine for a 25 year old car to have problems but as an every day car, it needs to run smoothly and efficiently without problems.

Yes, but lets not forget, you're dealing with a nearly 10 yr old car, which in all fairness will have it's issues as well.

As for overall quality and fit and finish, I would never buy a MK4 VW Golf/Jetta again.
Point being, we've all had "those" cars that seem to give us problems.
Hopefully it's an easy fix and you get it sorted out.

Haha My roommate loves his GTI's- had one in HS and it got wrecked before this semester, then had a mazda Speed6 for like 2 months and said "nah, I gotta get another GTI"
ngrif2020

Return to Everything Else Automotive