(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Car talk not CRX related goes in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby Baker » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:33 pm

Top 10 worst Hondas' from Honda Tuning:
Worst might be the wrong word, maybe disappointing.

Bad cars are inevitable. Bad cars are necessary. If it weren’t for bad cars, then the good ones might not seem so good. Besides, counting down the list of Honda’s all-time best would be entirely too easy, not to mention entirely too labored a list. Consider these not so much the worst but perhaps the worst of the not-so-great. Some were underpowered. Some lacked proper styling. Some were engineering oddities. Either way, behold, the following are what may well be the 10 worst Hondas of all time, in no particular order.

1992 Acura Vigor: In a world of sophisticated VTEC engines—all of which had even numbers of cylinders—the Legend-like Vigor made do with the oddity that was Honda’s only longitudinally mounted five-cylinder powerplant.

1991 Acura NSX Automatic: Drive one and you’ll quickly realize that no amount of suspension finesse or supercar styling will make up for its slop-box full of clutches, gears, valve bodies, and other nonsense.

1990 Prelude Si 4WS: The world never has and never will require four-wheel steering.

1997 Acura CL 2.2: Heavier and slower than the Accord, Acura’s supposedly upper-echelon model was more expensive than its Honda ancestor yet featured dim performance and curious styling. Bits of its front fascia were also the basis of the 1990s California Integra Type R conversion and earns its place on this list if for no other reason than that.

2002 Civic Si: The first Si to not feature its respective era’s flagship four-cylinder Honda engine. It was also the first in 14 years to have its steering cumbrously connected to its struts and featured the lowest amount of shock travel of any Civic to date.

1994 Honda Passport: Designed by Isuzu. Built by Isuzu. Any questions?

1996 Acura SLX: It looked like an Isuzu Trooper…because it was one. At least one major automotive evaluation firm rolled one over during testing.

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid: When compared to non-hybrid Accords, it performed similarly, achieved marginally better fuel consumption, yet weighed and sold for significantly more.

1993 del Sol S: That Honda didn’t equip the roadster-like del Sol in the wake of Miata domination with an RWD configuration can be forgiven. That it offered a version with its least powerful SOHC 1.5L D series cannot.

2011 CR-Z: They claimed it was the spiritual successor to the late, great CRX. At 122hp, it wasn’t.


http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/editorial/htup_1204_10_worst_hondas/index.html

Agree, disagree?
What would make your list AND why?
'90 CBP Dx
'96 Civic Dx
'06 Element Ex-P
Aug. 2008 Featured Crx SOLD
My feedback thread
My HondaWorkshop
User avatar
Baker
OEM+
 
Posts: 18605
Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Location: Fingerlakes Region of Upstate NY

(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby AJHS2011 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:55 pm

I kind of disagree with the 1990 Prelude Si 4WS.

I owned/built a 1991 Si w/o 4WS. Wished it had the 4WS but loved that car to death anyways.
If I didn't have a CRX I would definitly get a 1991 Prelude Si with 4WS
1990 Crx Si - Sold
1988 Crx Dx - Track Car
1991 Crx Dx - Sold
1991 Crx Si - Waiting on my lazy a**
1991 Prelude Si - Sold
1996 Integra Rs - Totaled
1996 Civic Ex - DD
1997 Civic Dx - Sold


"I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it." - Jack Dawson
User avatar
AJHS2011
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: 03 Jul 2011
Location: Lancaster, SC

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby jfrolang » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:23 pm

A Vigor makes the list just because it has a 5 cylinder engine? I'd take a Vigor over any Accord of the same generation, any day.

I'd add a 2004 RL to the list. With a chassis entering its 9th model year and a woefully-underpowered C-series V6, it was very much outclassed by the competition. It was also the last Honda/Acura to not have VTEC at least as an option.

And a ZDX, because what people "really" want is a 2+2 SUV with no cargo space. I think the sales numbers speak for themselves in this case. They'll be very rare in the future, but not in a good way, more obscure like a Merkur Scorpio.
Frost White '91 CRX
Glass roof shell for sale! - viewtopic.php?t=120681
Custom turbo setup, ported B16 head + more goodies for sale - viewtopic.php?t=104409
User avatar
jfrolang
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16546
Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Location: Boise, ID

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby Baker » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:26 pm

I disagree with the reasoning of the Del Sol. It's not the d15 which was disappointing since it was offered with the z6 and later the b16.
With the emergence of the Miata in '89, Honda should have been on board and made this a RWD configuration.
'90 CBP Dx
'96 Civic Dx
'06 Element Ex-P
Aug. 2008 Featured Crx SOLD
My feedback thread
My HondaWorkshop
User avatar
Baker
OEM+
 
Posts: 18605
Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Location: Fingerlakes Region of Upstate NY

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby Meech » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:14 pm

If Honda had made the Del Sol an MR, which I assume would have been the plan, they would've been attacked with lawsuits like Toyota was over floormats. I imagine there wouldve been way more fatalities recorded in Del Sols than CRXs even though airbags were standard. Why? The car would be cheap (Miata price range), light, powerful (z6 and later B16), and handling wouldve been a crapshoot.
Say that handling wasnt much of a problem with the weight distribution though. Kids would think they had just baught an NSX and your local canyon road would be the biggest Del Slow VTAK pick-n-pull. I believe that it was a smart move to keep it FWD.

I think the 5 cylinder Vigor is in there because its the only Honda with an inline 5 banger. Thats not a good thing when looking for aftermarket support, I guess.
ebob wrote:Wish I aged as well the HF. I think I know why I lost 5mpg, my car's carrying and additional 150 pounds.

'88 Dx - '93 MPV V6 2wd - Feedback
User avatar
Meech
 
Posts: 2437
Joined: 02 May 2011
Location: Modern day nomad

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby Mista Bone » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:20 am

98-05 Honda, anything FWD automatic with a V6 due to tranny failing issues.
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
User avatar
Mista Bone
 
Posts: 4730
Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Location: Cincity, oHIo

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby jfrolang » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:24 am

An MR Del Sol would have been like an MR2, not automatically a bad thing. Of course the real reason it's an FF is because Honda didn't want to spend the time and money to engineer a new chassis, so they just modified the Civic platform. I like Del Sols ever since I drove one on a sunny day with the top off and the rear window down, but I still think it belongs on this list just because of chassis flex. Those things make a stock CRX feel stiff.
Frost White '91 CRX
Glass roof shell for sale! - viewtopic.php?t=120681
Custom turbo setup, ported B16 head + more goodies for sale - viewtopic.php?t=104409
User avatar
jfrolang
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16546
Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Location: Boise, ID

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby Mista Bone » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:34 am

Del Tacos: how to fix targa top issues....

place Del Taco on 4 jack stands and jacking points, add 500 pounds to the trunk and front bumper, wait a few days.
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
User avatar
Mista Bone
 
Posts: 4730
Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Location: Cincity, oHIo

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby dandenham » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:48 am

Sat in a CRZ at my local dealer. Didn't feel CRXy, but was cool anyway. Went back later to show my son. No CRZ. Reason? In a local population base of about 150,000, the salesman said there was insufficient interest so they don't keep any CRZs in stock. That sorta says something. Maybe the '12s will be better? I always felt Honda should have let the Rex evolve several more years.
'95 Accord EX Ours
'04 4-Runner Hers
User avatar
dandenham
 
Posts: 117
Joined: 24 Apr 2011

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby Baker » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:16 pm

AJHS2011 wrote:I kind of disagree with the 1990 Prelude Si 4WS.


Same here. They were good looking cars inside and out, my favorite gen of Prelude really.
With or without the 4WS, I don't think it should have made the list to begin with or for that reason alone.

jfrolang wrote: a ZDX, because what people "really" want is a 2+2 SUV with no cargo space.


It's basically an Accord Crosstour though, right?
Though much uglier, like the rest of the Acura lineup.
'90 CBP Dx
'96 Civic Dx
'06 Element Ex-P
Aug. 2008 Featured Crx SOLD
My feedback thread
My HondaWorkshop
User avatar
Baker
OEM+
 
Posts: 18605
Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Location: Fingerlakes Region of Upstate NY

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby scruffybob42088 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:30 pm

The H22 is plug n play with the Del Sol, cool points there.
Rio Red 91' Si Build/Resto
Rio Red 90' Si 100% Stock
B-83M 97' Prelude TypeSH
User avatar
scruffybob42088
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: 05 Aug 2010
Location: NE Oklahoma

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby gdh » Sat May 05, 2012 2:18 pm

Baker wrote:2002 Civic Si: The first Si to not feature its respective era’s flagship four-cylinder Honda engine. It was also the first in 14 years to have its steering cumbrously connected to its struts and featured the lowest amount of shock travel of any Civic to date.


This is in reference to the hatch? I kind of like this hatchback. Reminiscent of the 92-95, useful and relatively rare.
Image
User avatar
gdh
 
Posts: 265
Joined: 11 Jul 2009
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby daveb91 » Sat May 05, 2012 3:38 pm

gdh wrote:
Baker wrote:2002 Civic Si: The first Si to not feature its respective era’s flagship four-cylinder Honda engine. It was also the first in 14 years to have its steering cumbrously connected to its struts and featured the lowest amount of shock travel of any Civic to date.


This is in reference to the hatch? I kind of like this hatchback. Reminiscent of the 92-95, useful and relatively rare.
Image


Yeah and I like them because real Si are hatches.....
User avatar
daveb91
 
Posts: 10411
Joined: 05 Mar 2005
Location: Vienna, WV

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby Baker » Sun May 06, 2012 7:22 am

gdh wrote:This is in reference to the hatch? I kind of like this hatchback. Reminiscent of the 92-95, useful and relatively rare.


I wouldn't consider the EP3 Civic rare.
'90 CBP Dx
'96 Civic Dx
'06 Element Ex-P
Aug. 2008 Featured Crx SOLD
My feedback thread
My HondaWorkshop
User avatar
Baker
OEM+
 
Posts: 18605
Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Location: Fingerlakes Region of Upstate NY

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby daveb91 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:07 am

Not rare at all.....I see them all the time....
User avatar
daveb91
 
Posts: 10411
Joined: 05 Mar 2005
Location: Vienna, WV

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby gdh » Sun May 06, 2012 2:48 pm

Must be regional, I hardly ever see them out here. I think it's been about 6 months since the last one.
User avatar
gdh
 
Posts: 265
Joined: 11 Jul 2009
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby MasterJasper » Sun May 06, 2012 10:47 pm

Whats wrong with a MR2?
My H22a4 with LSD M2B4 Tranny Crx Build
http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=60537

PLEASE VOTE
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90170

Wanting to buy: (Must Be Near San Diego So I May see It)
1991 Crx Hood - No dents, don't care about paint
MasterJasper
 
Posts: 257
Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Location: MCAS Miramar San Diego, C.A.

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby Baker » Mon May 07, 2012 6:44 am

MasterJasper wrote:Whats wrong with a MR2?



:chin: :shrug: :?:
'90 CBP Dx
'96 Civic Dx
'06 Element Ex-P
Aug. 2008 Featured Crx SOLD
My feedback thread
My HondaWorkshop
User avatar
Baker
OEM+
 
Posts: 18605
Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Location: Fingerlakes Region of Upstate NY

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby MasterJasper » Mon May 07, 2012 7:27 pm

"An MR Del Sol would have been like an MR2, not automatically a bad thing" - Jfro...

I'm not sure, i'm confused so never mind. But it would be cool if they did have a MR del sol. I've never driven an MR, i always think it would be awesome though
My H22a4 with LSD M2B4 Tranny Crx Build
http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=60537

PLEASE VOTE
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90170

Wanting to buy: (Must Be Near San Diego So I May see It)
1991 Crx Hood - No dents, don't care about paint
MasterJasper
 
Posts: 257
Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Location: MCAS Miramar San Diego, C.A.

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby gdh » Tue May 08, 2012 12:35 am

From wikipedia

Image

Just my 2 cents, but I think that looks dope. I wouldn't kick it out of bed.
User avatar
gdh
 
Posts: 265
Joined: 11 Jul 2009
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby Baker » Tue May 08, 2012 7:59 am

1st gen MR2's are sweet little cars, especially the factory equipped S/C'd w/LSD ones. :-)b
'90 CBP Dx
'96 Civic Dx
'06 Element Ex-P
Aug. 2008 Featured Crx SOLD
My feedback thread
My HondaWorkshop
User avatar
Baker
OEM+
 
Posts: 18605
Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Location: Fingerlakes Region of Upstate NY

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby Edison Carasio » Tue May 08, 2012 12:08 pm

I disagree with that list. My worst Hondas list would be:

First gen Element: ugly plastic body panels, only seats four, and the suicide doors don't have windows that can be rolled down.

Accord Crosstour: Big, heavy, ugly, need I go on?

Acura RDX turbo: Honda finally offers a turbo in the states, and they shove it in an expensive SUV? And it only makes 240hp? No thanks.

2012 Honda CRV - Ugly as all get out, big and heavy for what it is. 185 hp 163 lbs tq? Not even tough enough to do any light hauling.

Acura RL - FWD and no V8 option? Next please.

Honda Ridgeline - See above on the V8 option. Not much I can do with a truck with a 250 hp V6. It doesn't even have the most powerful V6 in Honda's line up. FAIL.
Edison Carasio
 
Posts: 373
Joined: 14 Jun 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby Baker » Tue May 08, 2012 12:53 pm

Edison Carasio wrote:First gen Element: ugly plastic body panels, only seats four, and the suicide doors don't have windows that can be rolled down.


I can agree with your list except one, only because I'm biased. :lol:
Body panels were available body colored, seating doesn't bother me, windows pop open only but make up for it with the pop up or removable rear sunroof.

It's about time though that Honda take Acura to the next level and offer a V8 RWD flagship as well as something to add to the Ridgline if they want to keep it around and actually compete in the truck market.
'90 CBP Dx
'96 Civic Dx
'06 Element Ex-P
Aug. 2008 Featured Crx SOLD
My feedback thread
My HondaWorkshop
User avatar
Baker
OEM+
 
Posts: 18605
Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Location: Fingerlakes Region of Upstate NY

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby Edison Carasio » Tue May 08, 2012 4:11 pm

Baker wrote:
Edison Carasio wrote:First gen Element: ugly plastic body panels, only seats four, and the suicide doors don't have windows that can be rolled down.


I can agree with your list except one, only because I'm biased. :lol:
Body panels were available body colored, seating doesn't bother me, windows pop open only but make up for it with the pop up or removable rear sunroof.

It's about time though that Honda take Acura to the next level and offer a V8 RWD flagship as well as something to add to the Ridgline if they want to keep it around and actually compete in the truck market.


Don't get me wrong, I LIKE the Element, but I couldn't get into them until the later model years.

Image

^^^ I like this one. It's a early model with the later model panels swapped over if I recall correctly.
Edison Carasio
 
Posts: 373
Joined: 14 Jun 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Top 10 worst Hondas'...

Postby gdh » Tue May 08, 2012 8:04 pm

The Element is awesome as a camping/utility/Zombie Apocalypse ride. They look DOPE when they're well done. Bit of an FJ kind of vibe.
User avatar
gdh
 
Posts: 265
Joined: 11 Jul 2009
Location: Portland, OR

(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)
Next

Return to Everything Else Automotive

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest