(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Bigdare's S2000

Car talk not CRX related goes in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Bigdare's S2000

Postby riptor_10 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:17 pm

BigDare23 wrote:Image

looks like someone just copied and paste s2000s everywhere! :lol: NICE CARz!
riptor_10

Postby crxbrad » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:21 pm

Car is lookin fantasmal!(Not a real word)
2006 Acura TL(daily driver)
2004 Pilot EX-L
crxbrad

Postby final_7x » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:36 am

So many pretty ladies, so little time. 8)
final_7x

Postby Charlie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:34 am

so you're not in Atlanta anymore? There's a red CRX near my work in Duluth i see all the time and i wondered if it was you :lol:
Charlie

Postby BigDare23 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:15 pm

Thanks guys!

Charlie, I moved from Atlanta back in the summer of 2009. :(
CRX owners on the east coast checkout -->EastCoastEFCivics
BigDare23

Postby BigDare23 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:21 pm

Who doesn't like overnight parts from Japan?!? :D

Opening the box to find...
A BYS v.1 lip

:bounce:

With my luck this will be broken 5 days after getting painted :rofl:
BigDare23

Postby ollie » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:04 pm

:-)b ....BYS I like it already.!!!
...Thrashy. said...."Robb, if my car ever breaks down, I'll never have to worry because I can just shout "CRX FLOORMATS!" and within an hour you'll be right there to tell me about yours. 8)" ahhhhhahahahahahah

1989 EF9 project "Backburner" in restoration. :)
ollie
Site Admin

Postby BigDare23 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:22 am

ollie wrote::-)b ....BYS I like it already.!!!

Thanks ollie!

It seems like the performance bug is biting me again. Since this car is my daily I'm taking the conservative approach this time (aka bolt-ons only lol).

I started my quest for more power by purchasing a spare throttle body (and intake manifold for later usage :wink: ), and I shipped down to Maxbore for some enlargement :D

Results
The inlet is bored to 70mm while the outlet tapers down to slightly larger than 65mm. Basically this is a clone of ASM's throttle body that is made by Toda.

And I'm finishing it up with a insulted gasket.

I hope to have this on plus a few other mods by the end of the month.
BigDare23

Postby BigDare23 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:11 am

A lot has changed since my last update.

I installed the throttle body shortly after purchasing it.

I didn't do a before/after dyno, so I don't know if there were any gains. The car idled slightly different, but that doesn't translate to gain.

Next I installed a Skunk2 vtec solenoid cover to cover my rusty solenoid.

That's most of the minor stuff. The next post will contain all of the major changes to the car :twisted:
BigDare23

Postby BigDare23 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:34 am

On to the major stuff...

Back in June, I had an "hiccup" on my way to GA from the DC area.

Basically a small hole started at the front seam of my top. Air caught the top and decided to rip the material off of the frame. This happened about half way through my trip, so I couldn't turn around. So I had to put my engineering skills to work.

People asked, "why didn't you just drop the top and cruise?" Well I was trying to outrun a big ass storm that was coming my way. :biggrin:

After doing cost analysis for about two week (and trying to enjoy my vacation) I decided just to upgrade. When I made the trip back home I had this waiting for me.

Like a kid at Christmas, I stopped everything to open this up. The results were...

A carbon fiber Amuse replica top from Rockstar Garage!!! :bounce: I chose this over the Mugen and Spoon because it has great rear vision. Plus, I got this top slightly discounted. I truly wanted an OEM top, but the markup on those are crazy due to the demand.

Over the next few weeks my car sat because was having issues with the single piece mounts :?

To continued in the next post...
BigDare23

Postby BigDare23 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:56 am

If your car is down, you might as well doing everything at once right? So I decided to get a few parts that were sitting around painted.

(I forget to mention that I purchase a Veilside spoiler for my S also. )

Up close and personal with the BYS lip

Here's the transition of the front end of my car

OEM Lip with lip protector

No lip

BYS lip

So how my car stands today...

You can consider this car partially done for now. I'm considering purchasing an 1st gen ASM rear bumper down the road. Also, outside of installing my Spoon intake and 70mm throttle body, I haven't done any performance mods so I kind of have that bug now (trying to resist it). I have a Berk header sitting around that I need to install. I wouldn't mind purchasing an exhaust since the factory one is extremely heavy. Also, I'm being pressured by my S2K buddies to join the boosted club (if you know me I'm a N/A guy) and it's hard to resist since this car is underpowered and the f20 basically maxed out already from the factory :cry: Anyways, I hope I can put this thread to rest for a few months and FINALLY revive my CRX thread. :-)b
BigDare23

Postby scramblerman » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:53 pm

Good choice on the top. I don't like most the aftermarket tops.

Are you gonna paint it or leave the carbon fiber look?
89 y49 CRX
04 s2000
scramblerman

Postby BigDare23 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:48 pm

scramblerman wrote:Good choice on the top. I don't like most the aftermarket tops.

Are you gonna paint it or leave the carbon fiber look?

Thanks! I'm going to leave it for now. Once it starts to fade, I'm going to paint it black. I'm not a fan of the color-matched look.
BigDare23

Postby zrickety » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:01 am

Beautiful car. That hardtop is an easy choice :-)b
91 CRX Si B16(XSi) viewtopic.php?f=26&t=32702
Current 09 VW GTI 2.0TSI viewtopic.php?f=33&t=60122
BigDare23 wrote:A CRX is a like a gift and a curse.
zrickety

Postby ollie » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:38 pm

As always Dare...love the car and the additions are sweet!...currently I am still in a holding pattern on getting mine as we are fighting with credit card companies so that kinda holds off my dreams...but I'll join the club as soon as I can.. :-)b
...Thrashy. said...."Robb, if my car ever breaks down, I'll never have to worry because I can just shout "CRX FLOORMATS!" and within an hour you'll be right there to tell me about yours. 8)" ahhhhhahahahahahah

1989 EF9 project "Backburner" in restoration. :)
ollie
Site Admin

Postby scramblerman » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:05 pm

I like the look of the hardtop, but I enjoy top down most the time as weather permits. Sometimes I just leave the top down while it's sitting in the garage and throw a sheet over it.

Winter is the time to buy Ollie. Prices are as low as they get.
89 y49 CRX
04 s2000
scramblerman

Postby iLikeTheTunaHere » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:51 pm

nice s2k and crx man. i really like the clear corners. it goes very well with the blue. i've been thinking about getting a s2k also. but i'm afraid i won't have enough time or money to play with both a crx and s2k. do you feel that way? have you neglected your crx? OR is it just double the fun? :biggrin:
iLikeTheTunaHere

Postby robhoy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:14 pm

iLikeTheTunaHere wrote:nice s2k and crx man. i really like the clear corners. it goes very well with the blue. i've been thinking about getting a s2k also. but i'm afraid i won't have enough time or money to play with both a crx and s2k. do you feel that way? have you neglected your crx? OR is it just double the fun? :biggrin:

ILTH - having a S2000 AND a CRX can be a drain on the wallet if you mod the S2K. I had an AP1 I left stock but things like repairing rust spots and putting on a new soft top can really add up. That said, they're boatloads of fun - I sure had a blast with mine! The only problem with them is that they're really not very good daily drivers. Even (stock height) CRXes are way more comfortable. I found myself getting annoyed with mine on my short, stop-light and speed-bump filled commute, and driving it only on weekends. So I ended up replacing it with a 2006 Z4 3.0i. Similar performance (though very different in character - torquey 6cyl vs high-revving 4cyl), but way more comfortable. If you don't consider it blasphemous I'd recommend considering both the S2K and Z4 before buying. Having owned both I'd say the Z4 is a better DD while the S2000 is a better weekend/track car.
-------------
'88 CRX DX
robhoy

Postby Tian90crx » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:47 pm

Looks great man, tasteful mods! I plan later on, on gettin one. Although ill be doing the spoon top, looks like a z4 with it lol. And yes, boost! You already have forged internals!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4
Aftermarket Quality Turbo, Suspension, interior parts FOR SALE http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=156674
Tian90crx

Postby BigDare23 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:30 pm

zrickety wrote:Beautiful car. That hardtop is an easy choice :-)b

Thanks zrickety!

ollie wrote:As always Dare...love the car and the additions are sweet!...currently I am still in a holding pattern on getting mine as we are fighting with credit card companies so that kinda holds off my dreams...but I'll join the club as soon as I can.. :-)b

Thanks ollie! I hope everything is working out for you! I'm always looking to add more CRX/S2K guys to the family! :)

scramblerman wrote:I like the look of the hardtop, but I enjoy top down most the time as weather permits. Sometimes I just leave the top down while it's sitting in the garage and throw a sheet over it.

Winter is the time to buy Ollie. Prices are as low as they get.

Scramberman, I'm still not used to having a car without a top on it lol. When I purchased the S my plan the whole time was to get a hardtop.

iLikeTheTunaHere wrote:nice s2k and crx man. i really like the clear corners. it goes very well with the blue. i've been thinking about getting a s2k also. but i'm afraid i won't have enough time or money to play with both a crx and s2k. do you feel that way? have you neglected your crx? OR is it just double the fun? :biggrin:

Thanks man! Yeah, I basically put my CRX on hold when I picked up this. BUT that's coming to end really soon :wink:

robhoy wrote:

ILTH - having a S2000 AND a CRX can be a drain on the wallet if you mod the S2K. I had an AP1 I left stock but things like repairing rust spots and putting on a new soft top can really add up. That said, they're boatloads of fun - I sure had a blast with mine! The only problem with them is that they're really not very good daily drivers. Even (stock height) CRXes are way more comfortable. I found myself getting annoyed with mine on my short, stop-light and speed-bump filled commute, and driving it only on weekends. So I ended up replacing it with a 2006 Z4 3.0i. Similar performance (though very different in character - torquey 6cyl vs high-revving 4cyl), but way more comfortable. If you don't consider it blasphemous I'd recommend considering both the S2K and Z4 before buying. Having owned both I'd say the Z4 is a better DD while the S2000 is a better weekend/track car.

I agree 100% that a S2000 is a horrible DD, but I wouldn't go as far as saying a CRX is more comfortable lol. The CRX definitely wins in cargo space, but outside of that I say the S2000 wins marginally lol.

Where did your rust start? Just wondering so I can be on the look out.

Tian90crx wrote:Looks great man, tasteful mods! I plan later on, on gettin one. Although ill be doing the spoon top, looks like a z4 with it lol. And yes, boost! You already have forged internals!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks dude! I love the Spoon top, but it was a bit too aggressive for me. If you look at this car (and my CRX), I'm all for mods that don't take away from the original body lines. I feel with the Spoon top, you must go all the way out!

As for boost.... NAisBest 8)
BigDare23

Postby BigDare23 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:36 pm

Update time!

Here is basically the last picture before my changes...

I'll start with the engine bay (sorry for the cell phone pictures :cry: )

Finally threw on a Spoon spark plug cover to match my "intake". Also, I threw on a Samco induction arm.

And because I wanted everything to match I decided to swap my Berk Header (bottom) for a Spoon (top) one.

Next is the exterior...
My RPF1s served their purpose, but it was time to upgrade.

I caught a good deal on a set of Limited Edition TE37s in S2000 specs (Front 17x7.5 +55 Rear 17x9 +65). They definitely changed the look of my car.

(You can kind of see my new exhaust in this picture. It's a T1R dual exhaust)

AND now it goes down hill from here lol

So one evening I decided to stay at work late, and we had a "pop up" snow shower. I decided to take my chances since the snow was still light. Yeaaaa that worked out great for me lol.

Broke my lip in two places, and cracked my front bumper. :x After a Facebook message and about a 3 days of waiting I had a new RSG Gears Lip. Also, a local s2000 owner help me out with another AP1 bumper.

Now I should never have to deal with a broke lip again since this one is polyurethane. If you followed my old CRX thread, then you will know that my cars and lips don't get along well :rofl:

Like always, when it rains... it pours. The next snow storm (3 days later) resulted in needing a new windshield.

Getting it done...

Finish!

Fast Forwarding... My fellow Suzuka Blue S2000 owner needed a ride to pick up his car from the body shop. On our way back, we decided to stop and take a few pictures. Here's my favorite of the bunch.

After seeing how good his car turned out, I decided to take mine in to get a few panels "touched up", and get my new lip and bumper painted.

(It looks so funny without my hard top)

And the bumper and lip.

That's all for now. Since the weather has been pretty crazy here (snowing and raining), my car is still at the body shop. The goal is to pick it tomorrow morning. Then I'll throw the bumper, lip, and hardtop on and I will be moving back to the CRX. It's about time I bump that thread up with all of my recent purchases :wink:
BigDare23

Postby jfrolang » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:39 am

Very nice :)
jfrolang
Site Admin

Postby robhoy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:55 pm

BigDare23 wrote:Where did your rust start? Just wondering so I can be on the look out.

Hi, Bigdare. I forgot all about this thread, good to see it revived! The rust spot on mine was on the right rear quarter panel at (and underneath) the rubber that secures the side of the soft top to the frame. It was pretty bad; the body shop had to cut out a fair-sized piece of the sheet metal and weld a new piece in. Luckily they did a great job! Later I found that the soft top frame was also rusty and needed to be replaced. And I got a new OEM soft top. Total cost to do all this: $2500 :(

On the positive (though embarrassing) side, I ended up coming to hate the Z4 really quickly, so much so that I sold it and bought my S back! Took a bath on that transaction, but at least I got my happy ending :)
-------------
'88 CRX DX
robhoy

Postby sxysweed » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:20 pm

Does the blue interior grow on you?

I've been wanting to buy an S2000 (it's high on my shopping list for "fun/toy" cars) and they look good in blue... But a blue dashboard? Ehhhhh....
fals-kk-alrot.tumblr
sxysweed

Postby robhoy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:25 pm

sxysweed wrote:Does the blue interior grow on you?

I've been wanting to buy an S2000 (it's high on my shopping list for "fun/toy" cars) and they look good in blue... But a blue dashboard? Ehhhhh....

Hi, Sxy! Mine is the same color as BigDare's - Suzuka blue with blue interior. Bought it in that color since the mileage and price were right. I don't know if I'd say it "grew on me", but I have gotten used to it and never think about it unless someone brings it up. It certainly doesn't bother me.

If you like the S in blue, you might also want to check out the Laguna Blue color (see the link below). They come with black interiors.

-------------
'88 CRX DX
robhoy

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else Automotive