(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Bigdare's S2000

Car talk not CRX related goes in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Bigdare's S2000

Postby BigDare23 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:42 pm

It's about time for an update!

I threw my lip on shortly after I got my S out from the body shop. It came out pretty nice.

Then 24 hours later....

As you can tell I wasn't too happy. Down force ripped the lip off the bumper while I was on the highway, and the paint flaked off dude to BAD prep work. So once again I was back to rocking my OEM Ap1 lip.

Moving on... I decided to become more "JDM" by swapping out my Ap1 v2 tail lights to v1.

Before

After

The difference is the chrome ring. Also USDM v1 tail lights are identical to all JDM Ap1 tail lights.

Rear shot

Also, I started a new project with my hardtop. Most aftermarket hardtops come with crappy seals and have a lot of road noise. I decided to retrofit the OEM hardtop seals on my Amuse replica hardtop similar to what Mugen does to their hardtops.

Removed the hardtop

I installed the OEM hardtop tracks on my top using pop rivets. ( Drilling and installing rivets in your cf hardtop is scary as hell lol)

Installed the seals

And now now mounted

Fits like OEM and best part no more road noise. This project was expensive and after I added up the cost of the top, seals, and all the hardware I could have purchased an OEM top or a real Mugen top, but it's all good.

Now fast forwarding to now... I decided to bring Gears lip back to the body shop that painted it. Even though it came off while I was driving, the lip wasn't properly painted to start with, and the paint was going to eventually flake off anyways. The owner saw the lip and decided to repaint it himself for free. He kind of pissed me off because he did put the work on the back burner for almost two weeks, but I finally got it back.

Here's my new "official" look for now....

It's not going anywhere now... I have two rivets that can guarantee that for me :)
CRX owners on the east coast checkout -->EastCoastEFCivics
BigDare23

Postby BigDare23 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:51 pm

Also, once I get bored with Gears lip I have a replace already. :wink:

That's about it for now. I did a few other things, but they really worth taking pictures of. I installed slotted rotors and a Berk high flow cat. Oh yeah, I installed my Spoon also but didn't take pictures. I'm officially getting closer to calling this "build" finished. There's not much I can do without spending big money or replacing parts that's already been replaced. I'm on the wall between replacing my ripped top or just removing the top completely. I was toying with the idea of boosting the car, but I decided against it. I'm on the fence with installing cams (Brian Crower stg II make pretty good power on F2xs). I'll keep you posted on whatever I decide. :-)b
BigDare23

Postby BigDare23 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:59 pm

jfrolang wrote:Very nice :)

Thanks Jeff.

robhoy wrote:
BigDare23 wrote:Where did your rust start? Just wondering so I can be on the look out.

Hi, Bigdare. I forgot all about this thread, good to see it revived! The rust spot on mine was on the right rear quarter panel at (and underneath) the rubber that secures the side of the soft top to the frame. It was pretty bad; the body shop had to cut out a fair-sized piece of the sheet metal and weld a new piece in. Luckily they did a great job! Later I found that the soft top frame was also rusty and needed to be replaced. And I got a new OEM soft top. Total cost to do all this: $2500 :(

On the positive (though embarrassing) side, I ended up coming to hate the Z4 really quickly, so much so that I sold it and bought my S back! Took a bath on that transaction, but at least I got my happy ending :)

Geezzzz, that sucks. Thanks for the heads up and I'll keep an eye out for that. And smart man for coming back! I'm a big BMW fan, but never been a big fan of the Zs.

sxysweed wrote:Does the blue interior grow on you?

I've been wanting to buy an S2000 (it's high on my shopping list for "fun/toy" cars) and they look good in blue... But a blue dashboard? Ehhhhh....

It grew on me, but most people hate it (worse than we hate DX interiors). Recently, my car has been making other local S2k owners consider my color as a replacement for theirs. I say if you decide to join the team don't let something like blue interior turn you away from a mint low mileage S. The best thing about Suzuka Blue S2000s are they are typically un-modded, low mileage cars.

robhoy wrote:
sxysweed wrote:Does the blue interior grow on you?

I've been wanting to buy an S2000 (it's high on my shopping list for "fun/toy" cars) and they look good in blue... But a blue dashboard? Ehhhhh....

Hi, Sxy! Mine is the same color as BigDare's - Suzuka blue with blue interior. Bought it in that color since the mileage and price were right. I don't know if I'd say it "grew on me", but I have gotten used to it and never think about it unless someone brings it up. It certainly doesn't bother me.

If you like the S in blue, you might also want to check out the Laguna Blue color (see the link below). They come with black interiors.

Hey man, you're suppose sell our color to people and not the other blue! lol
BigDare23

Postby robhoy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:58 am

BigDare23 wrote:Hey man, you're suppose sell our color to people and not the other blue! lol

I know, I know :(

I might turbo mine if this chunk of money I'm owed comes through as expected (it's from a government agency so one never knows if/when that'll happen lol), if so I can post a build thread here if anyone's interested.
-------------
'88 CRX DX
robhoy

Postby BigDare23 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:23 pm

All good things must come to an end. A new car has been purchased and my S2000 is being returned to stock and then sold. :cry:

On the flip side.... I just got a new car :twisted: Pictures coming soon!!!
BigDare23

Postby robhoy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:34 pm

BigDare23 wrote:All good things must come to an end. A new car has been purchased and my S2000 is being returned to stock and then sold. :cry:

On the flip side.... I just got a new car :twisted: Pictures coming soon!!!

Aww no!

But I like how you switch from the passive to the active voice there ;)
-------------
'88 CRX DX
robhoy

Postby jfrolang » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:18 am

BigDare23 wrote:On the flip side.... I just got a new car :twisted: Pictures coming soon!!!

Pics or it didn't happen.
jfrolang
Site Admin

Postby BigDare23 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:35 am

jfrolang wrote:
BigDare23 wrote:On the flip side.... I just got a new car :twisted: Pictures coming soon!!!

Pics or it didn't happen.

:wink:
BigDare23

Postby jfrolang » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:31 am

Daaaaaaaang.
jfrolang
Site Admin

Postby 4drSpankR » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:00 am

I'm happy for you, but you also suck at the same time.

I want that.
1991 HF - previously '90 B18A1 now '97 B18C1
1989 Si - running parts car/gone
4drSpankR

Postby fraglerock » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:58 pm

Excuse me for a moment... [potty mouth] YES!
fraglerock

Postby robhoy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:46 pm

OMG! Haha well I no longer feel sorry for you for "losing" the S. Congrats!

but

Details, man, details! Tell us the story of how you found this beast! What's it like to drive? And more pics :)
-------------
'88 CRX DX
robhoy

Postby BigDare23 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:32 pm

Thanks guys! :mrgreen:

It's like a dream that finally came true. Originally, I was going to purchase a NSX as a graduate vehicle, but my wife convinced me to get something newer (and cheaper), so I "settled" on a S2000. The plan was to keep the S stock and just DD it. Unfortunately, I couldn't get over my love for NSXs, so I started to mod the S to keep me occupied. A few months ago I was joking with my wife about finally getting a NSX, and she said I could if I did three things....

1. Sell one of my cars (aka sell the S since she knew that I will never sell my CRX)
2. Come up with a financial plan (piece of cake)
3. Find an automatic NSX so she could drive it.

Most people would have said no thank you with #3, but it wasn't a deal breaker (background- My wife was in a bad car accident a few years ago that tore a lot of stuff in her right wrist and gave her premature arthritis). So I spent a few months looking for a car that met my requirements. I didn't want a perfect car, because I wouldn't be able to fully enjoy it due to being afraid of messing it up. But, I didn't want a car that was beat to death. Well, the NSX market is definitely a sellers market and not a buyer's market. Mint cars are pulling close to their original sticker prices, and beat cars are still over priced. So it seemed like my dream car was out of reach, until I found this gem. It was WAY below market price, and the seller had horrible pictures posted in the ad. Fortunately, the car was two hours away. So after debating for about 2-3 weeks, I decided to run a Carfax and the car came back as a clean, accident free car. So I met with the owner and the rest is history...

The car is a 91 with 140k on the dash. It's been repainted once, but the shop did such a great job that you can't find the seam. The only mods done to the car were the ivory seats were replaced with black seats, and the car has Simmons Mesh Wheels (17x8 front, 18x10 rear). Everything else is stock.I didn't notice anything major wrong with the car, and I believe the car should be good to go after doing some preventative maintenance. The car is definitely quicker than what I was expecting. In auto, it's still faster than my S2000, but not quite as fast as my CRX :wink: . The car handles great, and asks to be push harder and harder. I have yet to find it's limit, and I owned it for three weeks now (it took about two off-ramps for the S :rofl: ). Overall, hands down this is the funnest car I have ever driven.

Here are a few more pictures

BigDare23

Postby fredpaul45 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:48 am

butiful car man congrats, nsx has always been a dream.
89 crx si soon k swap
93 eh2 k24 swap
04 civic si ......?
03 civic ex stock
fredpaul45

Postby BigDare23 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:54 pm

fredpaul45 wrote:butiful car man congrats, nsx has always been a dream.

Thanks fredpaul45!

Just in case anyone is looking for a S2000 :wink:
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/1099520 ... ry23330844
BigDare23

Postby sxysweed » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:25 pm

How "bad" is the auto trans on the NSX?

Congrats on the NSX. They're really sexy cars. :-)b
fals-kk-alrot.tumblr
sxysweed

Postby BigDare23 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:41 pm

sxysweed wrote:How "bad" is the auto trans on the NSX?

Congrats on the NSX. They're really sexy cars. :-)b

Better late than never...

It's actually not that bad (unless you want to beat on the car constantly). Most of my friends give me hell about it until they drive it. I typically get "That's actually not as bad as I thought it would be" or "Man, I could actually see myself driving an automatic NSX now." It's definitely for a "grown up" who's looking to cruise rather than rip the streets.
BigDare23

Postby BigDare23 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:43 pm

Just thought I would share some pictures from a couple of months ago. The car looks pretty different now as I add my "Bigdare23" touches to it. :mrgreen: I'll post up-to-date pictures once all this snow clears up. :evil:

BigDare23

Postby robhoy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:55 pm

Wow. Can I be your new friend? Lol...

Seriously, man, congrats. Always nice when a long-time dream comes true. A local car buddy of mine has a black one that looks much like yours. I've ridden in it once, it's a blast!
-------------
'88 CRX DX
robhoy

Postby BigDare23 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:27 pm

^^^ lol

Thanks bro!
BigDare23

Postby BigDare23 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:12 pm

Seems like my NSX project came to a conclusion pretty quick. :D

With the development of Instagram, my build documentation skills have greatly decreased lol. SOooooo, most of my pictures are crappy cell phone pictures.

I decided to replace my crappy hardware with fender washers.

Then purchased a set of 18in Mag Blue CE28n wheels with the hope of finding another set of 17's.

I couldn't find a set of 17s (in any color) for sale in the proper width and offsets. I gave up my search and purchased a set of Advan RZs.

I installed them shortly afterwards

BigDare23

Postby BigDare23 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:14 pm

The OEM lip wasn't doing it for me anymore, so I decided to upgrade to a Shine type 1 lip

Since I was the only 4x4 NSX on the road, I decided to upgrade my suspension with Bilsteins and Tein springs

Installed

I'm not a huge fan of the stance (no wheel gap in the rear with some in the front), but it keeps my lip "safe" with 3 in of ground clearance lol

Other items I installed by that points were JDM smoke tail lights, a JDM Honda front emblem, JDM fog lights, slotted rotors, SOS SS brake lines, and Hawk HPS pads.
BigDare23

Postby BigDare23 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:47 pm

Decided try out Blodi Len covers for the spring Import Alliance meet... Worst decision ever since they lasted a weekend before they cracked without any help :? At least they looked good for a few days.

Purchased a Seibon rear valance. It's replica of the GT one rear valance, but it's carbon fiber rather than fiberglass. I wasn't feeling the full carbon fiber look. I painted the sides and bottom of the valance black, and left the center exposed.

Out with the old!

In with the new! I also installed 02+ NSX exhaust tips

You can finally see the carbon fiber

Any now the finished product
BigDare23

Postby BigDare23 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:49 pm

Since all of my pictures were crappy, I'll finish with a decent one.

BigDare23

Postby Baker » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:54 am

BigDare23 wrote:Since all of my pictures were crappy, I'll finish with a decent one.

Nice car, great finish!
After 20+yrs and 140k, how is the interior holding up?
Any pics?
Baker
Mr. Search

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else Automotive