(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

wind's pop-up 86 Si (Custom made strips)

Looking for information specific to your 1st gen? Find it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si(D15Z1 Excessive Vibration Solved)

Postby blue90ZC » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:43 am

i ran across your post while doing a google search about how to fix or replace the headlight beam adjustment parts on a 90 crx, cause my horizontal beam adjusters have broken plastic pieces on them, which cause the headlights to be loose and move around, so i was trying to search for detailed pics of them from the backside and stuff, ..... and in the google image search results it had a pic of that red crx you did in photoshop with the pop-up headlights on it, and that caught my eye, just cause i've never seen a crx with pop-up headlights before, so i clicked on it which brought me to your post,

then i read through it all, and thats a great idea how you came up with ways to get pop-up headlights to fit into the crx body lines perfectly, and would probably be how it would look if honda designed it with them, it looks like a mixture between the 1st gen integra & a crx, which is cool, cause i've always liked the 1st gen integra,

its funny how you are a lot like me, i thought i was the only obsessive compulsive A.D.D. type of person who always makes long lists titled (things to do to crx), and then underlined or crossed off all the tasks i completed on the list.

so i was browsing through the pages of the post, kind of waiting to see the part where it is totally completed, showing a pic of the car with the body all filled in and paint matched around the pop-up headlights, but near the end you got side-tracked and got a better, newer motor and ended up working on swapping it in, then i got to the end, and realised you never showed a pic showing the pop-up lights and body work all done, painted white, where the gap in the front between the lights in front of the hood is all filled in and stuff . . ., just curious, have you finished it all now? where its all filled where that gap was in the front edge of the hood & stuff ? and painted over the bondo white to match rest of car ?

plus, i like how you put that cupholders in front of the shift console, thats awesome, usually people think the only solution to putting cupholders in a crx is to get one of those slim things that mount in the head unit part of the console that has a sliding thing that comes out with 2 cupholder holes in it, etc . . ., but i don't ever see peeople putting them in the front of the shifter area ?, which is weird, cause its a good place.

i also got another idea which i saw while doing a google search, i saw one guy with an integra who modified his e-brake handle to make it shorter, to make room in front of it, and he cut and mounted a single cupholder insert in the area of the shift console right under or in front of the e-brake handle, and since making his e-brake handle shorter, it worked and theres room to put a cup in the holder hole and not in the way of the e-brake going up and down, i think he cut his e-brake handle shorter since its one of those oem rubber type ones, but with mine, i would have to use a hacksaw or something ?, cause i have an aftermarket aluminum e-brake handle cover.

i like the how you ordered that alternative middle part of the steering wheel, where the horn is, that fits your year crx, cause it looks a lot better in my opinion, i remember seeing steering wheel like that in a picture of a red 87 crx si in a european english magazine, which had the steering wheel on the right hand side of the car, i guess those steering wheels were in the ones from europe?
my 1st car = blue/gray 1986 CRX HF (had from 91-97)
my 2nd car = tahitian green 1991 CRX Si (had 97-98, totalled)
3rd & current car = white 1990 CRX Si, (98-present) painted dark blue, w/ ZC DOHC swap
car profile page : http://www.theautolog.com/darkbluzc-1
blue90ZC

Postby windraver » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:24 am

blue90ZC wrote:just curious, have you finished it all now? where its all filled where that gap was in the front edge of the hood & stuff ? and painted over the bondo white to match rest of car ?

Thanks blue90ZC for all the kind comments. I've been so busy I didn't get a chance to respond until recently.

This brings me a mini update with more to come over this weekend!

The engine is running decently and I've been more focused on body work lately. I added more bondo to the nose piece of the car but it was still pretty rough and definitely could use some sanding and more bondo. The fenders were reinforced with additional ABS but light pressure continues to crack them.

I had a lazy moment and took the car to a body shop which turned me down saying it was too much custom work out of their league. My buddy who was going to be my ride home said I should just replace the fenders and nosepiece with metal. So I went out and picked up a MIG welder.

As you can also see from the picture, I have a spare D15Z1 engine there. I plan to rebuild it to swap out in the long term future when the current engine dies on me especially given that coolant leak I had.

Back to the story. On my way to the body shop, my hood locks gave out on the freeway flipping up my hood and smashing it against my windshield. I ended up having to swap out to my black hood and also took the opportunity to modify how my radiator is mounted and put in the stock hood latch(much safer...). Probably going to have to also replace my windshield at some point given that it is somewhat cracked from that incident. Additionally, I took that opportunity to adjust my passenger popup headlight to be more even but found out yesterday that the driver's headlight is too low. Seems like I need to do further adjustment.

As for mig welding, the plan is as follows:
1. Source Integra hood(done)
2. Cut broken CRX hood and merge it with the cut integra hood to create a full metal nose piece. (This will be my intro into MIG welding.)
3. Determine if I can weld and modify the integra fenders to appear similar to the CRX fenders or if I have to merge metal Civic fenders(3G 1984-1987) with it. The issue with Civic fenders currently are that none of them really match the CRX lines. Hatch and Wagon are definitely off and the Sedan/Coupe really is the closest but not even quite there. More on this as I figure it out.

Once that is done then I'll take it in for a paint job.

Additional to-do items:
1. Swap out control arms and ball joints. Got new ones but haven't installed.
2. Replace rear shocks. Got them but haven't the time to replace.
3. Redo the rear trunk cover as it comes apart too easily.
4. Do some reupholstering with the interior.
5. Reinforce the flimsy sun visors. Reupholstering it would be nice too.
6. Put in a newer carpet for the rear trunk.
7. Tidy up the wiring in the engine bay.
8. Reinforce the front bumper mounting. It never really mounted well...

Pictures to come over the weekend as I get started on some of these.
I just noticed I'm never playing by the rules
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Postby windraver » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:34 am

windraver wrote:
daveb91 wrote:Is this thing running well now? Must be the longest running project on here that still gets updated. Lol! The KW didn't plug the heater core up did it?

Hahaha yes it did plug up the heater core. I seriously have some updates to post. I'm sure I'll get it allup for Xmas :)

Pictures and stories coming soon!

A side note on this... The car was shaking quite a bit from the engine and according to my research, it appears that bad injectors could be a culprit. So I installed back the "new" injectors and immediately sprung back my coolant leak. :(

From some testing, I figured out the cylinder and put back in an old injector the that cylinder. It was still leaking but running better so I proceeded to add more KW.... ran it for awhile and voila, no more leak...

But now with so much KW in my car, the next morning I found my heater solidly cold but luckily the car was not overheating. That night I went ahead and flushed my engine and heater core. Please note that KW really really sticks itself into every nook and cranny and certainly was plugging up my radiator. It took flushing from various pipes and hoses in order to get most of this junk out of my coolant system. Additionally, the heater core input wouldn't take in and water from the hose so I reversed the pressure and out came that KW gunk. That cleared it up luckily but I'd definitely consider a new radiator one day given some of it is visible just won't come out.

So lesson is use it if you're desperate but note that it really should be a last resort. Additionally, I still don't know what is leaking so I'll definitely consider swapping out to the spare engine one day.
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Postby windraver » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:38 pm

So busy nowadays. But! I found time to get started on some welding :)

Of course you've seen the originals...

The plastic ABS/Bondo/Fiberglass/ABS glue mixup...

Goodness it looks so bad at this angle.... I threw on some rattle can to cover up the pink black white yellow colors

So I went and cut the front of an Integra hood.

And it doesn't look half bad :D

We can see here that my Drive side light is too low. That will require some adjusting to raise it up.

I always start with cutting a bit less than I need. Now I must trim it away as the hood can't close.

The piece lines up so well with the passenger light though...

But the driver side not so much...

After the second cut. Much better line up. There is some trimming involved still as it sits too high...

I also need to redo the bends given the Integra hood is raised in the center...

Notice the raised center of the integra nosepiece

See how the CRX hood dips on the sides...

Raised center again

So I cut another strip of the hood off for sheet metal and stripped the paint off and grinded some paint off the nose piece as well. The metal will form the angle to later bolt down.

Ready to weld. Held with a few magnets. This is my first weld job with a MIG so be patient!

Done! Kinda... I didn't weld the center raised section as I plan to cut and flatten it down.

I must say the weld is solid. Not flimsy like some old ABS.

Now its time to strip the paint.

I left it at this and that is the end of my weekend. More to come next weekend :)
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si(MIG Welding the Nose Piece)

Postby windraver » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:04 pm

And it continues!

Just grinded down the welds. Still need to cut the middle bump thought but that shouldn't be too bad.

A Close up of the grinded welds. Much better yea?

After cutting and welding the bump down. Looks a bit sightly but its not too bad.

Now time to do some paint stripping. The aircraft remover didn't do much. I tried to find the quart version rather than spraycan but it was nowhere to be found...

More to come next weekend. some more stripping and paint will make it awesome.

Edit: resized all the pictures. It was taking too long to load this page :p
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Postby windraver » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:42 am

So my sister needed to borrow my civic so I needed my crx operation. So I did a quick prime and paint and bolted it on.

Also readjusted my passenger light while I was at it. Looks much better now :)

Still need to smooth out the nose a bit more and then start welding myself some fenders.
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Postby shorty_boy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:47 pm

Pretty damn good job right out the gate man.

Did you take any welding courses previously? I was thinking about this as my CRX will need some major restoration in the rear.

How much did the MIG setup cost you? Everything keeps telling me to go with a TIG setup but MIG seems so much more affordable and easier to do.
1989 CRX HF "... and i will call her betsie and betsie will be mine!"
Resurrected 1/15/2012.
Shorty's Mods, Swaps, and Reviews.
shorty_boy

Postby windraver » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:29 pm

shorty_boy wrote:Pretty damn good job right out the gate man.

Did you take any welding courses previously? I was thinking about this as my CRX will need some major restoration in the rear.

How much did the MIG setup cost you? Everything keeps telling me to go with a TIG setup but MIG seems so much more affordable and easier to do.

nope, I didn't take any welding courses. I watched a lot of youtube tutorials and did a handful of research on how to weld thin metal. I had tried my friend's flux core welder in the past which would always burn through thin sheet metal on cars and splash everywhere so after some conversations, I concluded I needed a better welder and started researching and came across this site:
http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/150.cfm

The conclusion there is MIG. I didn't really question it much further and went with it.

As for tutorials I watched:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBK6STQjs9k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk-deP30A-k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4q1TExpmfY

You'll also need an angle grinder with some sanding flap discs. Harbor freight is a good source for this.
Heres an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDfho76DwHo

This angle grinder is a life saver when cleaning up the welds. I still have much to learn given I still burn through and have to do a lot of rework.

The total setup costed me 1200 with a 100 rebate from miller with consumables, tank, tip, gear, helmet. I went with the Millermatic 141 model I did given its one of the cheapest but still ranked as a decent welder.
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig ... del=M00486

Its pretty easy to use and is a world of a difference in comparison to flux core. Hope that helps!
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Postby shorty_boy » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:00 pm

Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to look at the new MIG setups and compare them to the TIG setups that I have been eyeballing for the last few years.
Resurrected 1/15/2012.
shorty_boy

Postby razordave » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:33 pm

Tig is nice if you have any plans to move to exotic materials like aluminum.

If you're planning to stick with steel welding, mig seems to be much less expensive and fairly easier to learn.

Wind, that thing is looking great. Can't wait to see what you come up with for fenders.
89 si b18a1 obd1 5 spd gutted disc rear
88 si d16y8 obd1 5 spd (Y49) Purchased on 12/13/14
razordave

Postby windraver » Wed May 13, 2015 11:24 pm

So I mentioned a couple months back that I've been trying to get rid of a weird swaying my car when going over a light bump on the freeway.

I had already changed out the shocks so this time I swapped out the radius rods with ball joints.

First things first, off with the wheels and axle nuts...

A quick look at the old old bushings. I picked up some NRG bushings so I'll be swapping this out later.

The cursed ball joint. Sometimes it just won't let go...

Nice broad view

took quite a bit of hammering but its finally off

Someone's been asking me for some measurements of the replacement axles I got so here they are.

N is for the NEW replacement axles from HASPORT while O is for the original axles that were too short. 3 shots in case they aren't good enough.

Now whats interesting and quite the contrary to what I thought is the remaining axles are the same size!

More pictures for referencing

Another shot at the transmission ends with measurement

compressed fully and lined up

To illustrate the difference in numbers

AAAAND back to the main project at hand!

Here is everything removed.

New bushings!

Nicely packaged :)

Old bushings disasssembled in order

old vs new radius rods

So clean

New bushings versus Old bushings

And they're in!

And this is where the story begins :(

First thing after swapping both out and getting the wheels on comes the test drive. I roll out the garage and GRINNND.... what happened? where did that come from?!

I lift the car looking to see if my car was grinding something but nothing was in sight. Its 4 am... I'm tapping out til tomorrow.

Next day afternoon I go back out and decide to take off the wheels and begin to look around. I find the problem below.

Turns out the rotor is scrapping right up against the new radius rod... lovely...

yum... my rusty rotors..

Another shot with more contrast

So it turns out that the new radius rod ball joint mount is quite wide...

in fact, its oval going in the direction of the rotor... ain't that lovely...

look at the overlap :(

The old one is much much thinner. This is what I get for buying cheap off rockauto I guess.

So what do I do? I grab my angle grinder and grind it down a bit to thin the excessive metal protruding. Hopefully that won't turn around to bite me later. I had to do this about twice so on the third time, I throw a coat of prime on to see where the grinding was happening.

Turns out both wheels had the grinding and so I slimmed it down and the problem is solved.

With life's chaos, I haven't gotten around to prototyping the fenders but they're next. Maybe after I change my rear shocks...
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si(New ball joints and radius rod)

Postby shorty_boy » Mon May 18, 2015 9:25 pm

Thanks for continuing to do work. I need to get motivated.
Resurrected 1/15/2012.
shorty_boy

Postby windraver » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:53 pm

Finally got around to working on my CRX again this last weekend.

Took the paint off my black hood and put on a coat of prime and white. Pictures to come later.

In the meantime, I put up some inspiration in the office to remind me to work on my car. :)

Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Postby ScottMog » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:08 pm

windraver wrote:Finally got around to working on my CRX again this last weekend.

Took the paint off my black hood and put on a coat of prime and white. Pictures to come later.

In the meantime, I put up some inspiration in the office to remind me to work on my car. :)

Oh hell yes, 86-87 si right? Love those wheels.

Terrorists would have a hell of a day with this stuff, completely remove an airplane @@
EMAIL ME instead if possible. scottmog@gmail.com
Haters gonna hate
ScottMog
BlabberMouth

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si

Postby windraver » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:45 am

Big updates. Sorry 56k.

First, I never really wanted a rice rocket look so I finally got around to paint the black hood white. I started off with stripping all the paint off but found some hidden bondo. Otherwise, there was black, gray, red, prime, then bare metal. My backyard had red dust for weeks to come.

Next I moved onto my fenders. Its bothered me for a long time how my plastic fenders would crack if someone decided to lean on my car :(

So I decided to try and find myself metal fenders and decided to modify the integra fenders I had used for my molds.

Top is the current ABS plastic CRX, Middle is the Integra fender, bottom is a spare broken CRX fender from the 2nd 1st gen I had back then.

The bottom CRX fender is broken but that works out since I'll use it for parts for this fabrication.

From this picture, you can see that the integra fender is someone slimmer near the bottom. This will represent an issue I'll illustrate in a moment

My old beaten plastic fender. The cracks are at the top.

Imperfections such as those below really are an eye sore. It motivates me to fix up this car.

Now to see the differences.
Current Plastic Fender vs Integra Fender

This is the primary issue. The integra fender is simply too short.

It is also missing that upward hook

The moldings don't quite match either...

I'll use this plastic part for the molding... and maybe more.

Bolts are a bit off but I'll make it work. I can weld a bracket as needed.

A closer examination of the side moldings

First I'll cut off the bottom part of the plastic part fender. Gave it a good cleaning as well.

This is based on my inspiration from the 2nd generation CRXs. My friend's 2nd gen bottom part of the fender was stolen which made me realize that it was multiple pieces. I'll use that same approach for this fabrication.

A quick mock-up before cutting

This will go somewhere here and will take care of the side molding as well.

I'll also need to trim this. Too bad I cut a bit of the bottom too much...

Tape Mock-up. Gonna have to patch that hole..

Time for some resin and fiberglass. And gonna have to recreate that missing hole :(

I left it all to dry overnight. A quick look at the progress

At this point I realized something is off... the bottom fender doesn't line up with the curve of the fender...

Well, gonna have to bondo anyways so lets do that first. Packed a lot onto that hole.

Sanded down and its looking better. The misalignment of the fender is obvious now that everything is straight and fitted in.

A close look shows how much I'll have to shift the curve as I have marked with some markers.

So I proceed to cut this and welded a new curve. Didn't catch too many pictures of the welding but it was difficult to weld curves, grind it down properly so I have more work to do.

I added some fill so I can see the defects better and threw on some primer. Looks nice but if you look closely, theres some defects I'll highlight in some pictures later.

This best highlights the defects remaining. The curve isn't quite right since the metal warped from the heat of the weld. I tried to clean it up with bondo but more work is needed.

Decided to sand down and prime my front bumper too.

Calling it a night before going back to work after a thanksgiving break.

As of now, I'm planning to repaint the whole car white and no more panda black white. Thoughts?
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (Fender Fabrication + pictures)

Postby windraver » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:51 pm

Note to self. Research Electroluminescence.

http://www.e-luminates.com/osc3/index.p ... 2d4eb09195
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (Prime Prime Prime)

Postby windraver » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:22 pm

More Body work!

Starting off, I'm priming all the removable panels. Sanding down all the hideous drips too.

God these drips... this is what happens when you try to paint an entire car for the first time outdoors at a buddy's house and you're rushing because you only have 5 or so hours to get it all done..

Added some more bondo to smooth out the funky shaping... it'll get there eventually. Its too bad its not a perfect fit :(

Started to plasticdip my moldings.

noticed a few dips, scraps, dents in the front bumper so filling them.

Sanded down so its all smooth.

Then prime. Its now sitting here to dry.

Sand and prime. so many drips beneath it.

Fresh coat of primer. So shiny.

Sanded and another coat of prime.

Sanded down but I still need to work on the curve/flare?
Its a bit more even now as you can see.

All the work in progress.

So car paint scheme, panda or all white?
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (Priming & Paint Poll)

Postby windraver » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:41 am

Was itching to work on my car so drew out some design for a new cargo cover. The current one sags and doesn't look refined enough.

The plan is to use parts from another civic hatch cover I have.
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Postby 91rexdx » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:06 pm

Great job! I've been following this post since day one. Love the work you have done to it. All white will definitely make it pop more then the usual panda theme.
1991 celestial blue pearl CRX AUTOMATIC DX SOLD New owner totaled it.
1988 Y-49 bumble bee (current project) ---> viewtopic.php?f=26&t=172977
91rexdx

Postby windraver » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:34 am

Backdating some work from before the holidays! Dec 23rd.

Some more work on the driver door panel

All sanded and ready to prime

I decided to take a different approach with the driver fender. This required me to really stitch the plastic and metal together. The two shapes were a bit off so I need some strong solid stitching thus I used wood and screws. I then proceeded to pour on some resin and fiberglass to establish some structure.

Fiberglass and resin the back for support and bonding.

Threw on some bondo to smoothen out the bond.

The inside resin is solid now.

Threw on some left over dark primer.

Rear bumper looked terrible I went ahead and sanded it down and threw on some primer.

Cheap black primer
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Postby windraver » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:44 am

Started masking a bit.

The bumpers, panels, and skirts are now primed

Though long and hard if I wanted the mirrors to be black or body white. If I'm really going to do full white, the mirrors certainly would look better white. So I primed them.

These pillars are worn and beaten. A coat of black wouldn't hurt yea?

The light housing has been taking quite some beating over its years so I threw on a fresh black coat.

Noticed the rear molding of the hatch needed a touch up... so I gave it a touch up.
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Postby windraver » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:52 am

PAINT!

I got impatient so I threw a coat on all the parts. I need to pick up new passenger fenders given the drivers turned out so much better.

I'm considering white molding?

Heres the paint outcome!

Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (First coat of Paint)

Postby daveb91 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:57 am

Nice to see you're still at it.
daveb91

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (First coat of Paint)

Postby windraver » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:04 am

Sneak peak. Assembly required.

Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (Clear coat and Assembly)

Postby windraver » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:02 am

Assembly done.

I read I'm supposed to wait 30 days before waxing?
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

PreviousNext

Return to 1st Generation CRX