(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

wind's pop-up 86 Si (Custom made strips)

Looking for information specific to your 1st gen? Find it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si(D15Z1 Failed Smog Again)

Postby windraver » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:52 pm

ScottMog wrote:I see you said you are going to buy another 4 wire O2 sensor. Which specific ecu are you running? 49 state or california model?

I already bought and replaced the 4-wire O2 sensor prior to both smog checks. I'm running the CA ECU which only works with the 4wire O2.

Were you thinking there might be an issue w/ the O2?
I just noticed I'm never playing by the rules
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Postby ScottMog » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:07 pm

No i dont think so, if your wiring is correct and the o2 matches the correct ecu then I do not see why there would be a problem.

I have a 49 state d15z1 for about a year and a half and was getting amazing mpg in an 88 dx.
EMAIL ME instead if possible. scottmog@gmail.com
Haters gonna hate
ScottMog
BlabberMouth

Postby windraver » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:05 pm

Found something interesting while researching:

Defects in the opening or sealing of an intake valve, or exhaust valve will lower the compression for that cylinder. This will be evident in a vacuum gauge that fluctuates or bounces as the engine is running. Clogged catalytic converters or other restrictions in the exhaust system will cause intake manifold vacuum to be lower, especially as the engine load increases.

Source: http://www.linnbenton.edu/auto/perform/vacuum.html

Lower vacuum would therefore throw off the MAP sensor and lead to an improper fuel ratio.

Given that I have 2 Catalytic converters, it is highly possible the 2nd one is causing restriction. I'll find out after I get rid of the 2nd one this weekend!
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Postby windraver » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:20 pm

I owe you guys pictures.

Swapped the axle in this weekend. Took it for a stress test and so far so good.

Took the CRX to a muffler shop and had them cut out the 2nd cat and put in a straight pipe.

Ordered a new Catalytic converter... waiting on delivery

Fixed my radiator fan wiring. My radiator fan was initially wired to always be on while the car was running. I fixed it so it will properly run only when the temperature switch triggers it. Some wiring was disconnected and run wrong so it took half a day to get right.

Pictures when I get off work.
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Postby windraver » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:24 am

Pictures and bad news! :(

So the hasport axles came in :)

An idea of how much space the washers took or gave. You can see here that the nut isn't filled like it usually is...

Ball joint removal is easy now given the number of time I've taken this out...

Washers flush against axle

Pulled out to show

An idea of how much thickness I added. This solved my axle problems :o

It fit well but I wonder if it had any effect on the bearing?

Side by side comparisons of 3 axles.
Starting from the furthest left:
New longer Hasport Swap Axle, Original Hasport Swap Axle, Civic VX Axle

As you can see here, the inner joint to go into the transmission was significantly different on the original hasport axle. The new one matched the VX inner joint.

Length comparison... The different was approximately 12mm.

Since swapping the axle over. The problems are gone but I noticed that when I go over a bump, it bounce left right... quite strange and it makes it hard to control... is it axle related or suspension?

So after taking out the old Cat, I smogged again and failed. I ran my numbers through an lambda calculator and my AFR lambda was almost 1. Given this, I decided to change my Catalytic convertor. Since I was still baaarely on the rich side.. I decided to change: fuel regulator, fuel injectors, pcv, and map sensor.

I must say the injectors were disgusting...

New vs old

Given all these changes... once I started the car... it ran beautifully. I had to readjust idle as the it ran so much better....

So after warming it up for awhile to allow the cat to break in.... I took it for the spin.

And thus the bad news... just a bit down the block, my engine suddenly sounded like it was misfiring and stopped running well. It then stalled. I could start it and run it a bit but it was running like something was wrong. I got it back to the garage and theres a ton of white smoke coming out the tail pipe... blown headgasket?

Is it because compression is better? or did I break something? white smoke is coolant right?
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Postby ScottMog » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:53 am

The steering problems during bumps may be related to outer tie rods.
Haters gonna hate
ScottMog
BlabberMouth

Postby windraver » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:22 pm

ScottMog wrote:The steering problems during bumps may be related to outer tie rods.

I'll take a look at the tie rods then.

The steering wheel itself doesn't turn or pull but the left-right rocking after going over a bump is really abnormal.
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Postby windraver » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:40 pm

Can't figure the cause to the white smoke coming from my tail pipe. It gets excessively worse as the engine heats up. Should have done a compression test but I went for changing out the headgasket and intake gasket(the original tore) last night.

But I'm still getting white smoke out my tail pipe. It gets worse as the engine heats up... When changing the gasket, I looked around to see if anything was off but didn't see anything... cylinder 4 looked spotlessly clean so my guess is that its leaking coolant there but I can't figure out how... any suggestions on how coolant is getting into the cylinder?

Some pictures of the headgasket change
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si(D15Z1 Mystery White Smoke)

Postby mibars » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:13 pm

Were the pistons wet with antifreeze? Was head gasket visually damaged?
This engine has an EGR valve - Is it water cooled? If yes is it leaking into exhaust?
Too bad you didn't check compression...
5500-8200 rpm
mibars

Postby windraver » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:16 am

mibars wrote:Were the pistons wet with antifreeze? Was head gasket visually damaged?
This engine has an EGR valve - Is it water cooled? If yes is it leaking into exhaust?
Too bad you didn't check compression...

While it was still misfiring and smoking like mad crazy, something was clearly dripping when I looked through the spark plug hole. The spark plug was wet with fuel (which my friend says jumps the circuit resulting in a misfire) but when cranking w/o spark and fuel, the liquid the sprayed out smelled like water/coolant.

I did check compression and everything was even across all 4.

Now that I've changed out the injectors, it doesn't smoke much during idle. just small puffs almost invisible. On the freeway though, it appears to smoking quite a bit when from what my mirrors tell me. Residue burning/smoking or is it the engine? I need to drive it more to find out.

Change out the shocks this last weekend and will be changing out the control arm/ball joint later. I'll just take it to the smog and see how it scores.
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Postby windraver » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:18 am

Sooooo... I did something I never thought I would do.

Given that my mystery smoke was still occuring at high RPMs and high speed (freeway test) and did not seem to lessen, my assumption is that coolant was still leaking into my combustion chambers... somehow.

So my options...

1. Tear apart the head and replace the head gasket again. Inspect the cylinder walls for cracks and either replace the shortblock or get it "fixed"
2. Swap the spare engine in.. but rebuild it first.
3. Pour in some of those "stop leak" stuff that I normally would never recommend anyone use.

Well I went with K&W Fiberlock headgasket and block leak sealer. Dumped 1/3 of it into my radiator and let it circulate. Took it for a spin on the freeway and no smoke. Yay! Next question is... when will it clog my system and cause me to overheat? That seems to be a common issue in the comments and reviews. So in short I still don't know where it was leaking but I confirmed that it was leaking coolant. So time to schedule a smog and hope I pass!
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Postby shorty_boy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:16 pm

Good luck man. I hate that gunk, but you have to do what you have to do. I would look for a replacement engine now.
1989 CRX HF "... and i will call her betsie and betsie will be mine!"
Resurrected 1/15/2012.
Shorty's Mods, Swaps, and Reviews.
shorty_boy

Postby windraver » Tue May 13, 2014 10:04 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen, the CRX is BAR Legal and Smogged!

Next up, suspension, brakes, and body work!
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si(D15Z1 BAR Approved!)

Postby ScottMog » Fri May 16, 2014 11:32 am

Nice work!
Haters gonna hate
ScottMog
BlabberMouth

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si(D15Z1 BAR Approved!)

Postby windraver » Tue May 27, 2014 7:30 pm

Lesson Learned

When installing engine mounts follow torque specs and sequence!

Reason? Improper sequence and torque will cause excessive vibration and noise. The body/frame of the car will shake like and merely idling will drive you nuts as every loose body panel or metal will rattle.

The solution? Simply correctly torquing down your engine mounts in the correct order.

For those with a D15Z1, you can find the sequence and torque specs below. I have other specs throughout my manual if anyone needs but its a definite must follow. My car is much smoother now that I've done it right -.-;

Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si(D15Z1 Excessive Vibration Solved)

Postby Rex All Day » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:24 am

Torque specs will bring you very far with your car. Do it right the first time, every time. Great job so far!
Black 1991 CRX Si - 1.6 SOHC ZC motor.
Thread: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=62162
Rex All Day

Postby windraver » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:09 pm

Did some fabricating on my old nose piece. So much plastic is missing so I'm trying to slowly reform and mold with some ABS Glue. Pictures to come.
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Postby mibars » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:00 pm

What was the main reason for failed smog? And what was the reason for the white smoke?
5500-8200 rpm
mibars

Postby windraver » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:22 pm

mibars wrote:What was the main reason for failed smog? And what was the reason for the white smoke?

High CO and High HC. That is caused by excessive unburnt fuel and not fully burnt fuel. The fix was a Catalytic Converter replacement and MAP sensor replacement. MAP sensor would regulate the fuel based on the air intake. The Catalytic converter would burn remaining CO and HC.

I think my compression went up when I replaced the sensors and fuel injectors. This likely caused a small crack somewhere in the engine causing a coolant leak. White smoke basically steam/coolant. The engine was likely leaking coolant somewhere into the cylinders. This then caused one of the cylinders to misfire, fuel to flood, and the spark plug to foul. I couldn't find the leak so I got K&W Fiberlock headgasket and block leak sealer and it sealed my leak. No more smoke. The risk is that a lot of people overheat their engines as it clogs the coolant lines. So far so good though so I'm on a look out for it.
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Postby windraver » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:26 pm

Update!

I was still getting a lot of vibration from the engine so I began looking into solutions to reduce the rattle.

One thing I found was FUEL INJECTORS! Given that I already have 4 "new non-oem" injectors, I took a risk of installing them again.

Immediately after installing them, upon starting the engine, the engine ran worse than before as it was misfiring. Quickly saw that the smoke was back and indeed it was coolant again. Pulled plugs on the injectors and found that cylinder 1 was not firing. No reaction from pulling the fuel injector.

So I turned off the car and started pulling plugs. Saw that cylinder 1 not only was fouling due to fuel but was also covered in oil. The valve cover gasket was leaking oil into the spark plug. I clean up the oil and wiped down the fuel. I then swapped out only the fuel injector for cylinder 1.

Started it up and the car ran like a charm but was still smoking. I added some more of the KW fiberlock seal and let it run. After 20 minutes, the smoke was close to gone and after driving around the block, it was gone completely. I guess the stuff works... except my heater no longer does >.<... I'll fix that next.

Another thing I noticed was the car ran sooo much smoother.

I really have a few questions in mind though:
- How does a new injector cause a misfire in the cylinder?
- How does an injector foul the sparkplug?
- How does the injector cause a leak in the cylinder?
- Will all new injectors do the same thing or is this specific to the injector I removed?

I plan to do a voltage and air test on the injector later to figure out if it's faulty or leaking.

On the positive note, the ride is a little better.

I still have to figure out why it it that the car stalls out when cold occasionally. This occurs after I shift to down to neutral from 3/4th gear and step on the brakes. My theory is that there isn't enough of a dampener for the throttle when I release it and that the application of brakes on the cold engine puts enough of a strain on the low 600 RPM idle that it simply dies. Theory but we'll see once I do some testing.
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Postby hatze19crx » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:49 am

Sup guys, I just purchased an 1986 crx and I have alot of questions on how to repair rust . Please lol
hatze19crx

Postby hatze19crx » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:54 am

Sup guys, I just purchased an 1986 crx and I have alot of questions on how to repair rust . Please lol
hatze19crx

Postby windraver » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:04 am

hatze19crx wrote:Sup guys, I just purchased an 1986 crx and I have alot of questions on how to repair rust . Please lol

I don't think I'm the best person to give you rust pointers but I would suggest you create your own build thread to get some input from people. I know phatboycrxhf is the best rust repair guy I know so you can check out his work and get some pointers:
http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=6287
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Postby daveb91 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:09 am

Is this thing running well now? Must be the longest running project on here that still gets updated. Lol! The KW didn't plug the heater core up did it?
daveb91

Postby windraver » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:52 am

daveb91 wrote:Is this thing running well now? Must be the longest running project on here that still gets updated. Lol! The KW didn't plug the heater core up did it?

Hahaha yes it did plug up the heater core. I seriously have some updates to post. I'm sure I'll get it allup for Xmas :)

Pictures and stories coming soon!
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

PreviousNext

Return to 1st Generation CRX