(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Catalytic Converter Question. Please Help! 86 Crx (CDM)

Looking for information specific to your 1st gen? Find it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Catalytic Converter Question. Please Help! 86 Crx (CDM)

Postby CRXspeedshift » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:26 pm

Hey guys! I am new to this forum, but not to Hondas. However, I am stumped with this particular question. I just purchased a 1986 Honda CRX DX from Canada, so this CRX is a Canadian Domestic Market (CDM) car. The engine is a EW2, which is stamped on the engine bay. It is carbureted, and has only 40,000 miles on the original motor. But my question is does this car have a catalytic converter installed on it from the factory?

I have heard mixed things like, the Canadian 1st gen CRXs had no emissions, and I have also heard that they have one under the exhaust manifold. But the information I got about it having one, was for an EW1 Fuel Injected, (USDM) car. To be honest, there is really not much information about the EW2 Canadian Carbureted engine, because they only made them in Canada (I think) and only from 1984-1987,

I can't tell if mine has one or not, because there is a big heat shield blocking everything, and it is rusted on, and I can't get it off to see. If someone could give me some information on this, I would be forever grateful. Thanks CRXcommunity!
CRXspeedshift

Re: Catalytic Converter Question. Please Help! 86 Crx (CDM)

Postby Baker » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:33 pm

You may have to check in here...
www.redpepperracing.com
Baker
Mr. Search

Re: Catalytic Converter Question. Please Help! 86 Crx (CDM)

Postby CRXspeedshift » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:18 pm

Thanks for the response. I also asked this same question on the Red Pepper Racing forum, however no one has gotten back with me. I've heard stories that this forum is "dead", which really sucks, because I always thought that Honda CRX enthusiasts, loved to talk about their cars. If anyone else knows anything about these EW2 engines, please feel free to chime in. Thanks again!
CRXspeedshift

Return to 1st Generation CRX