(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

1985 CRX HF: Should I rebuild Carburetor or?

Looking for information specific to your 1st gen? Find it here.

Moderator: Moderators

1985 CRX HF: Should I rebuild Carburetor or?

Postby ascendedmind » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:05 am

1985 CRX HF: Should I rebuild Carburetor or Hondabond Rubber Insulator?

Hi I just purchased a 1985 CRX HF with approx.125,000 miles. :D However, I immediately noticed the engine was idling too high at 1500 RPM when warm & at about 2,500 RPM when cold.

By using a carb cleaner I quickly discovered a vacuum leak around the rubber base plate where the three barrel carb attaches to.

Now should I pay someone to remove the carburetor to apply Hondabond together with the used rubber insulator to effectively stop the vacuum leak? :?: Looks very intimidating &/or time consuming to remove.

What other vacuum leaks should I inspect for which typically cause the HF engine to idle excessively? :idea:

& what else typically fails in the three barrel carburetor that I should definitely replace while the carburetor is removed? :idea:

Should I pay someone to rebuild the three barrel carburetor :yuck: , if I have no experience? (The only tutorial I would have access to, is The 1985 Honda CRX Service manual) :?:

Any idea of approximately how long it should take to remove the carburetor & reseal the carburetor to the rubber insulator base with Hondabond? :?:

I'm looking to extract the maximum MPG, so I'm keeping the Keihin 3 barrel carburetor...
ascendedmind

Re: 1985 CRX HF: Should I rebuild Carburetor or?

Postby windraver » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:14 pm

ascendedmind wrote:1985 CRX HF: Should I rebuild Carburetor or Hondabond Rubber Insulator?

Hi I just purchased a 1985 CRX HF with approx.125,000 miles. :D However, I immediately noticed the engine was idling too high at 1500 RPM when warm & at about 2,500 RPM when cold.

By using a carb cleaner I quickly discovered a vacuum leak around the rubber base plate where the three barrel carb attaches to.

Now should I pay someone to remove the carburetor to apply Hondabond together with the used rubber insulator to effectively stop the vacuum leak? :?: Looks very intimidating &/or time consuming to remove.

What other vacuum leaks should I inspect for which typically cause the HF engine to idle excessively? :idea:

& what else typically fails in the three barrel carburetor that I should definitely replace while the carburetor is removed? :idea:

Should I pay someone to rebuild the three barrel carburetor :yuck: , if I have no experience? (The only tutorial I would have access to, is The 1985 Honda CRX Service manual) :?:

Any idea of approximately how long it should take to remove the carburetor & reseal the carburetor to the rubber insulator base with Hondabond? :?:

I'm looking to extract the maximum MPG, so I'm keeping the Keihin 3 barrel carburetor...

The carb is a lot of work or a lot of money. Redpepperracing has a number of good resources that should be able to help. I would look into rebuild kits and guides.
I just noticed I'm never playing by the rules
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Return to 1st Generation CRX