(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

First Rebuild - 87 HF - Advice?

Looking for information specific to your 1st gen? Find it here.

Moderator: Moderators

First Rebuild - 87 HF - Advice?

Postby CRXnewb86 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:43 pm

Hey all. I'm new here and just picked up a 1987 CRX HF for $350.00. Needs tons of work, and I'm ready to figure it out myself. According to the people I've had look at it (From a shop to an ASI Certified mechanic) it needs a carburetor replacement (internal fuel leak), Clutch replacement, and some electrical genius... I'll post a link below to the pix I've got so far. Eventually I'd like to upgrade the motor and go for less economy, and more performance, but I'd like to get it running right first! I also need to replace the ignition switch, as somehow it is jury rigged to the power for the headlights (will run without a key).

If anyone has any advice, or resources for parts, I'd be open to hearing them. I'm picking up the Chilton service manual for it to help assist in the repairs, but I figured this would be a great way to get to know my car. Doing the repairs on it myself, I mean. I could use tips on necessary specialty tools, and maybe average completion time. I have the basics as far as tools go, but no power or impact tools, or vehicle-specific tools.

Thanks in advance for all who take the time to respond. I'm looking forward to this project with your help!

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

~Steve, Utah
CRXnewb86

Re: First Rebuild - 87 HF - Advice?

Postby windraver » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:11 pm

That part under the hood you need to identify is a fusebox.

Overall it looks like your fuses under your dash are there but you just need to play match with the diagram. They should line up.

Didn't know that HF had a half radiator.

Ignition switch wiring, key, headlights, etc are generally easy to fix if you have a car to source parts from. Check for graveyards in your area.
I just noticed I'm never playing by the rules
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Return to 1st Generation CRX