(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

86 d16a1 issues

Looking for information specific to your 1st gen? Find it here.

Moderator: Moderators

86 d16a1 issues

Postby puffy4ever » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:55 pm

i have a beatiful *cough* 86 CRX that i have bought many years ago as a project and only recently been able to really sink my teeth in it, hade a few issues most of wich i solved with my brainpower,

but something that haunts is the fact that when she is cold, she runs great. when warm she drops in rpm to the point where there is no go at all only idling

i have cleaned the throttle body and the IVAC (i think thats the correct shortening) and she does go a little better, but today when she puffed in to the garage it was barely even tough she was cold.

my friend came over and we chatted while she idled softly and i said to him that im going crazy over this and mentioned the vaccum (i guess) box that sits on the firewall. "i dont really know what that does" i said and bopped the big black box with my hand, to wich the engine just totally drops and stalls.

now there is no go, at all. feels like the vaccum box thingy majjigy is the culprit of my faults but i dont know. sorry if im all over the place both in writing and sense but im really going kinda mad over here. thanks for reading! good luck with all of you!
puffy4ever

Re: 86 d16a1 issues

Postby windraver » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:29 pm

puffy4ever wrote:i have a beatiful *cough* 86 CRX that i have bought many years ago as a project and only recently been able to really sink my teeth in it, hade a few issues most of wich i solved with my brainpower,

but something that haunts is the fact that when she is cold, she runs great. when warm she drops in rpm to the point where there is no go at all only idling

i have cleaned the throttle body and the IVAC (i think thats the correct shortening) and she does go a little better, but today when she puffed in to the garage it was barely even tough she was cold.

my friend came over and we chatted while she idled softly and i said to him that im going crazy over this and mentioned the vaccum (i guess) box that sits on the firewall. "i dont really know what that does" i said and bopped the big black box with my hand, to wich the engine just totally drops and stalls.

now there is no go, at all. feels like the vaccum box thingy majjigy is the culprit of my faults but i dont know. sorry if im all over the place both in writing and sense but im really going kinda mad over here. thanks for reading! good luck with all of you!

Check all the vaccuum lines. Idle Air Control Valve manages your idle speed (much more when cold) but a slightly when warm. The intake might be a bit carbbed up over time so I would clean that out.

I would need to know more about what happens when you try to start the car and what you mean "now there is no go"
I just noticed I'm never playing by the rules
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Postby puffy4ever » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:17 am

hi! thanks so far, what i meant with no go is that if you put here into gear and try to drive the rpms skydives and the car stalls. if you go easy as eggshells on the gas she will go up the rpms but with a lot of spattering and exhaust pops, tough she will not move a feet under her own power.

now after i booped my hand on that vaccum box she only turns and no ignition, if i floor the gas and turn the key she will give maybe 200rpms but as soon as i let go of the key she drops off and stalls yet again.

i find it really confusing that she ran great! really really great albeit only when cold but now after that boop she wont even start.

i had a look inside the intake when the throttle body was off and it did not look to bad, even so i will take it off and give a torough clean just in case.

thanks for the support!
puffy4ever

Postby windraver » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:39 am

check for a vacuum leaks. the black box is essentially a bunch of vaccum based controls.

if i floor the gas and turn the key she will give maybe 200rpms but as soon as i let go of the key she drops off and stalls yet again.

Did you mean you let got of the throttle and not the key?

gas engines require the following to operate:
Air
Fuel
Compression
Spark

If it starts with full throttle and dies when you let off the throttle then its gas or air. More likely air. I forget where the MAP sensor is but it could be related.
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Postby puffy4ever » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:37 am

it is when i let go of the key. she will then jump a bit between maybe 200-400rpms for a couple of seconds and then stall. and that is with the gas pedal to the floor. if i let of the gas she just stalls instantly.
bugs the hell out of me that it just happened like that. aleast she ran when cold before i bopped that *insert bad word* black box.
will give it a go once im back at work.
thanks for the help and trying to dicypher what i mean, english is not my native language so sometimes it results in a mess.
puffy4ever

Postby windraver » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:43 pm

Holding the key means you're turning the engine with the starter. This means that the engine is unable to turn without the assistance of the starter if my guess is right.

Lets do some basic checks first to see what we're working with:
1. Do a compression test on all cylinders.

I find it hard to believe that the engine is turning at 200 rpm and only with key support. It means that one of the 4 requirements to run an engine is not fulfilled and compression is easily the first. I ruled out air as you have the throttle wide open.

If compression is good on all cylinders... then

2. My second guess is fuel. Get yourself some engine starting fluid spray cans. Have someone start the car with throttle wide open and spray the can into the intake manifold. Be sure to take off the air box and duct for this. If the car runs as long as you're spraying then you're not getting enough fuel.

There might be a fuel related controller in the black box.

I would check this wiring diagram. https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8ewueprr9who ... g.pdf?dl=0

The diagram may be for a 1G CRX EW4 but the wiring differences between the D16A1 and EW4 are minimal as the engine is plug and play with the 1G.

You can also do a main relay refresh as it is also responsible for fuel and the 30 year old solders are known to fail.

Lets start with that and see what we learn.
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
windraver

Postby puffy4ever » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:21 pm

had a breaktrough today, not able to do any real fixing untill wendnesday but it hit me today that i have not even check the error light (stupid stupid stupid) i only tought of it because i was taking the ECU out to check the soldering (in wich there was two that where cracked) and it gave error on the TPS. got a used throttle body on the way so im hoping that´ll be the end of the issues. ill update when i have changed it!
puffy4ever

Return to 1st Generation CRX