Honda CRX Forum banner

1984 CRX Carb issues

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  1986newbie 
#1 ·
I have a 1984 CRX with 111k miles. It is generally in great shape for its age. It has a carbureted 1.5 liter engine with an automatic. When I come to a stop, especially when the car is cold or if I have the headlights on, it often wants to stall unless I put it on neutral first. How can I know whether it is a simple screw adjustment or needing more extensive carburetor work? Thanks!

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I haven't been on in a while. I wound up locating the idle speed adjustment screw and turned it up a few turns. That fixed the stalling but I adjusted it too high because it was dieseling like crazy when I shut it off. I backed it off a little and seem to have found a good xompromiae idle speed where the car only stalls occasionally and only diesels occasionally.

#6 ·
Could be the carburetor insulator gasket is leaking. This problem shows itself mostly with a cold engine. A good way to check it is to start the car, then grab the air cleaner unit and gently rock it back and forth. If the engine speed changes, you have a leak in the insulator gasket. They cost about $90 to purchase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.