(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Camber plates on a crx?

Engine swaps, bolt-ons, tuning, OBD-1 conversions, forced induction, suspension & brake upgrades, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Camber plates on a crx?

Postby crx88lsvtec » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:50 am

I have an 88 crx with stock suspension geometry, just with some camber kits (adjustable uca's) and ebay coils. Since I'm due for an upgrade on both anyway, someone was telling me that I'd be better off getting cheap, non-adjustable upper control arms and a camber plate setup like this: https://www.octanemotorsports.com/1988- ... 48059.html .

This doesn't make sense to me. First of all, is the crx considered a double wishbone setup in front? The LCA is a single beam with a radius bar, not actually wishbone shaped, but it seems to generally work like one.

All the setups I've seen with camber plates are a macphearson setup where the strut bolts directly to the hub at two points (no UCA). In this setup, it makes sense how a camber plate could adjust the camber.

However, with an upper and lower control arm like I have, with the strut attaching with a fork to the LCA, it seems like changing the angle of the spring wouldn't actually effect the camber of the wheel, at least not independently of ride height.

Am I misinformed? What am I missing here?
crx88lsvtec

Re: Camber plates on a crx?

Postby Mista Bone » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:48 pm

no struts = no use for plates.
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby Tasos_7R » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:31 pm

Yes it is a double wishbone setup and you can buy aftermarket upper control arms with adjustable camper.
Frost White CRX 1.6i-VT EE8
Tasos_7R

Postby solorex » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:37 pm

Ditch the camber kits up front. Run stock. Get an alignment. You do not need adjustable camber in the front, people like wasting their money on this. I still don't understand why.
solorex

Postby Mista Bone » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:04 am

solorex wrote:Ditch the camber kits up front. Run stock. Get an alignment. You do not need adjustable camber in the front, people like wasting their money on this. I still don't understand why.

because they like better handling with other performance upgrades?

I guess everyone should run HF brakes by your standards.
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby Myriad » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:40 pm

solorex wrote:Ditch the camber kits up front. Run stock. Get an alignment. You do not need adjustable camber in the front, people like wasting their money on this. I still don't understand why.

Because it looks absolutely b*tchin!
:in barf:
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Postby solorex » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:43 pm

Well.. I have been racing for 17yrs... the camber gained by lowering works for me and my car has always performed fantastically.

OK sure... if you are running for a national trophy in autox or something... start really fine tuning the front camber. But when I read "stock suspension geometry" and "ebay coilovers" from the OP, there is no point bothering with front camber adjustment. Money is best spent on many more items ahead of this modification.
solorex

Return to Modification Garage