(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Community Machining Projects Discussion

Engine swaps, bolt-ons, tuning, OBD-1 conversions, forced induction, suspension & brake upgrades, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Community Machining Projects Discussion

Postby As I Conspire » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:33 pm

:jive: Community Machining Discussion :jive:

Lets all talk about what we would like to see made, and I will do my best to work with you guys, one off prototypes, multiple production pieces, adapters, or anything related to making the CRX, perform better, look better, or something that can benefit the community as a whole, that's a big one.

Personally I can handle even some of the most intricate parts, but I am only aloud to do work at my place of work with managements permissions, so take that into account.

Eventually I would like to invest in a small CNC mill, and a small manual lathe.

Also in time it would be awesome to actually put together a team of us to help everything go smoothly, as of now the only other help im getting semi directly is from, Dr_Drache. If i cannot be reached in a reasonable time, give him a shout and he may be able to help you out, he knows the ropes of what i need and has been very helpful.

Considering the amount of changes i have to make to the first 3 posts, keep an eye on the regularly, especially if you are a part of this in any way.

Last edited by As I Conspire on Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:29 am, edited 6 times in total.
As I Conspire
AIC Designs

Re: Community Machining Projects Discussion

Postby As I Conspire » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:53 pm

:nuke: AICDesigns Team :nuke:
Last edited by As I Conspire on Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:28 am, edited 22 times in total.
As I Conspire
AIC Designs

Postby As I Conspire » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:54 pm

Paypal: naylorm1910@gmail.com
Name: Mayson Naylor

***PAYMENT DISCLAIMER***
You are responsible for sending the PayPal payments as a GIFT to cover PayPal fees, I'm usually lenient about this but with large quantities the losses build up fast.

Project: P.A. Bushing Set
Next production run is set for: Fri, Aug 29, 2014.

Description: This bushing set is a mod of the current bushings placed in the pedal assembly, 4 pieces will be sent, this is enough to do both the clutch and the brake pedal.

WHY? The factory bushings are made of a plastic material, over time they wear out, become stiff, and squeaky, the bronze bushings are made of 544 bronze, and they are made for a very tight but clearance tolerance, they remove slop, and squeek, and will give a smoother and stronger feel to the pedal.

:loco: First Impressions :loco:
Dr_Drache wrote:ok, here are 2 pictures, one with just the bushings on the clutch pedal bolt, and one with it installed :
ImageImage

INITIAL REVIEW :
first off, fancy baggie packaging, lol not doing a unboxing, that's silly.
tolerances are very very tight, machining is professional, I got the OI set, in which AIC pointed out the interior was less than perfect. not noticeable unless looking for it.
they don't seem to fit at first, but a little pressure, and they slide on like they were designed to go there.
I only did the clutch, because that's all the time I had.
I slide one bushing on, then the pedal, then the 2nd bushing, it was tight, and I used a wooden headed hammer to press it in. (cherry wood hammer) only took 1-2 taps to get it going. proceeded to place washer and nut on, tightened to "HOLY [crud]" with 3/8 ratchet.

expected some stickiness with the first movement of the clutch. there was none.
it just pivoted on the bushings. I am at a loss for words, someone will be able to tell me, it was smooth, and not sloppy, my plastic bushings were "new" and that felt soooooo sloppy compaired to now.

I dare to say, it's better then some ball bearing movements I've come across.
this is on my short list of "if you like to drive, you NEEEEEEED this"

Project: Lead-foot Mod

Work to begin on:
Mon, Aug 31, 2013.

Description: This is a COMPLETE overhaul and modification of the factory pedal assembly. It will require being shipped to me for full service, and will include: Brake and Clutch pedal 544 Bronze bushings, clutch pedal reinforcement welding, Accelerator pedal modification, brand new OEM sensor pads, zinc dip, and a nice coat of POR-15.

NOTE: I will order and install new clutch, gas, and brake covers per request, i wont charge extra, but you have to order them and ship them to me, or ship to yourself and install, either way.

WHY? Brake and Clutch pedal bushings for a better than OEM feel and response, the Accelerator pedal mod completely removes all slop in the accelerator pedal, if you take it apart you will notice that over time the bracket that houses it gouges into the arm itself, ill press in bushings and test it for fitment and clearance, new sensor pads because over time the oem ones get brittle and shatter, zinc dip to remove all loose rust and coat to prevent rust, and finally POR-15 Coat to permanently, prevent rust and give the assembly a slick look (gloss black and shiny gold bronze :-)b )
Last edited by As I Conspire on Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:09 am, edited 25 times in total.
As I Conspire
AIC Designs

Postby Dr_Drache » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:32 pm

I will try to assist AIC as much as I can, or anyone involved.
I know I will help get projects that become worthy, get off the ground, with materials, or assist with skillsets.
Dr_Drache

Postby As I Conspire » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:40 pm

If I end up with a project that I can repeat I can make a fixture and have a program set up so I can fly through it.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk
As I Conspire
AIC Designs

Postby 06DC5 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:28 am

I general i think it would help everyone to know what sort of materials you are able to work with, and on what scales.

Limited run of CRXCommunity billet shift knobs would be cool :lol:
Personally i don't find there are many upper strut bars on the market that get me really excited... perhaps theres something to be done there?

Can you do Titanium? 8)
My B-Series 1990 CRX Si OEM + goodies rebuild/restoration
http://www.crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=62537
06DC5

Postby As I Conspire » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:37 am

ok i should have posted my limitations. as far as materials, sky is the limit, BUT! if im going to be working with an expensive alloy (titanium, nickel, inconel, nitronic, ect.) customer will be fronting the bill directly to buy the stock. i dont want to be the guy to pull $400 out of my wallet and then get screwed cause someone doesnt want to pay.

pre hardened steels like tool steel, drill rod. if an application absolutely calls for a hardened material, we can talk about what metal is needed, i can make the part, and they customer can have it sent to be heat treated, annealed, tempered, ect.

big stuff i most likely wont be able to make, not that i cant, but a very large part is something i imagine i would be denied to make (remember i am limited by company permissions)

so lets say we will keep things under the scale of a 1' cube, the more complex my setup has to be or the part will be, the more it will cost, if it is simple and be produced efficiently, thats a plus.

and just to tease you, i have been drafting ideas to make a strut brace with the same structural layout as this.
As I Conspire
AIC Designs

Postby 06DC5 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:06 am

Wow a function 7 inspired strut brace would be awesome. I'm drooling at the thought :mrgreen: Ballpark, what would your price be in something like that? Are we talking $200-300, or something closer to 5?

Ohh and another idea, perhaps some sort of billet aluminium horn button for aftermarket steering wheels.
Maybe something like the NSX-R button but just untouched billet aluminium or maybe even titanium for extra cool points. Or perhaps substituting the raised "H" and having raised CRX lettering? Just spitballing here
06DC5

Postby Dr_Drache » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:14 am

06DC5 wrote:Wow a function 7 inspired strut brace would be awesome. I'm drooling at the thought :mrgreen: Ballpark, what would your price be in something like that? Are we talking $200-300, or something closer to 5?

Ohh and another idea, perhaps some sort of billet aluminium horn button for aftermarket steering wheels.
Maybe something like the NSX-R button but just untouched billet aluminium or maybe even titanium for extra cool points. Or perhaps substituting the raised "H" and having raised CRX lettering? Just spitballing here

we'd have to find a way to get the plastics for the button, and something to work from. plus, what style? momo/etc?

that's prob beyond the scope.

a fuction 7 style strut bar is going to be expensive. they use 7056? alu, ALOT of cnc time, i'm guessing if it's less than 400, I'd be really surprised.
Dr_Drache

Postby As I Conspire » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:15 am

im going to have a hard time doing heavy programming, the honda "H" may not be a big deal but if i need something programmed i have to bother one of our programmers, only because it has to go through a server.

a F7 inspired strut bar would be like 30-50 in material, but i would charge out the ass... because even if i had one for myself, i wouldnt want to get rid of another haha.
As I Conspire
AIC Designs

Postby blazercrx » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:17 am

Are you CNC or manual, or both? I also work in a tool and die shop and have made personal pieces for my Rexand other cars. I've wanted to make a b series spark plug cover w the crx engraved in it...
Mista Bone wrote:The only LSD is what he has been smoking!

Blazercrx feedback
blazercrx

Postby As I Conspire » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:17 am

strut bar would either be 6061T6511 or 7075 aluminum. machine time for the bar itself would be probably 5-6 hours, then you have to make the brackets....... excuse me.... i have to make measurements.
As I Conspire
AIC Designs

Postby As I Conspire » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:20 am

gah if i had software so i could post EIA code that would be awesome, thats the only thing holding me back from writing out my own programs... we have 7:1 speeders (up to 21000 rm) that would be great for engraving...

we have cnc and manual, but untill i have my own software, complex cnc code is a no go.
As I Conspire
AIC Designs

Postby Dr_Drache » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:22 am

As I Conspire wrote:gah if i had software so i could post EIA code that would be awesome, thats the only thing holding me back from writing out my own programs... we have 7:1 speeders (up to 21000 rm) that would be great for engraving...

we have cnc and manual, but untill i have my own software, complex cnc code is a no go.

what software would we need for the g-code?
Dr_Drache

Postby As I Conspire » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:31 am

autocad.
As I Conspire
AIC Designs

Postby Dr_Drache » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:32 am

autocad... ewww
let me make a phonecall.
Dr_Drache

Postby As I Conspire » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:58 am

:O
As I Conspire
AIC Designs

Postby Dr_Drache » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:13 am

I might be able to get you a 3 year license.
find out what exact version you want/need.
Dr_Drache

Postby As I Conspire » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:39 am

as long as i can draft, set toolpaths, and make code. i can modify it for any of our machines.
As I Conspire
AIC Designs

Postby razordave » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:45 am

What about some of the sunroof hardware? Maybe some of the commonly broken plastic pieces could be made of aluminum?
89 si b18a1 obd1 5 spd gutted disc rear
88 si d16y8 obd1 5 spd (Y49) Purchased on 12/13/14
razordave

Postby 06DC5 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:34 pm

razordave wrote:What about some of the sunroof hardware? Maybe some of the commonly broken plastic pieces could be made of aluminum?

There was a post from not too long ago (a month or so) of a guy who is 3d printing rail end stops for the sunroof. Aluminium would be cool, but the plastic this guy is printing with would be much cheaper and probably all you'll need.

And Drache: yes something like the momo small horn buttons would be cool.i wonder if there'd be some degree of interchangability where you potentially use a mix of old hardware with the new machined horn to make it work without making the machining requirement overly complex.
06DC5

Postby bigboi » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:39 pm

I have access to AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor. I have and AAS in Drafting and Design Technology, if you ever need a drawing or 3D model just let me know and I will see what I can work up. however I do not know how to program CNC Code however I want to learn lol.... I designed a couple of shift knobs but im not sure where ive got them saved at I will have to look... cool ideas guys...
bigboi

Postby gsrinmycrx » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:51 pm

brackets for a s2000 cluster to bolt to the existing crx cluster mount points would be a good thing and i think you would sell a few to make it worth your time.

i have always thought wheel centercaps with the crx logo engraved in them would be cool.

the wheels in my head are turning.

Levi
gsrinmycrx

Postby Dr_Drache » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:55 pm

06DC5 wrote:
razordave wrote:What about some of the sunroof hardware? Maybe some of the commonly broken plastic pieces could be made of aluminum?

There was a post from not too long ago (a month or so) of a guy who is 3d printing rail end stops for the sunroof. Aluminium would be cool, but the plastic this guy is printing with would be much cheaper and probably all you'll need.

And Drache: yes something like the momo small horn buttons would be cool.i wonder if there'd be some degree of interchangability where you potentially use a mix of old hardware with the new machined horn to make it work without making the machining requirement overly complex.

problem is, will someone pay $60 or more for a horn button? those take a bit of time and skill to take apart and put back together.
Dr_Drache

Postby As I Conspire » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:26 pm

brackets for s2k swaps would be cool, i would drill out the mounting holes and bend it with a hammer haha.
As I Conspire
AIC Designs

Next

Return to Modification Garage