(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

D2 SL coilovers or Koni/GC?

Engine swaps, bolt-ons, tuning, OBD-1 conversions, forced induction, suspension & brake upgrades, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

D2 SL coilovers or Koni/GC?

Postby ClutchCity » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:30 pm

Looking to purchase a suspension set up within a couple days. I want to go low. I have read a lot of great reviews about the Koni yellow and ground control set up, but does it go low? Does anyone have pics of the Koni/gc set up all the way as low as it will go?

I had an 03 si with ground control. It wasn't low enough. I ended up replacing them with d2s. The ride wasn't very smooth. A bit harsh but the car sat low enough and looked great. I was more happy with the d2s.

My budget is about a grand, I want something that goes low, handles great, and rides pretty smooth.

Any advice, experience, or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
ClutchCity

Re: D2 SL coilovers or Koni/GC?

Postby jfrolang » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:26 am

Koni/GC can go very low on a CRX. Especially since the spring perch is adjustable on the Koni shocks. Pic for example:

This car belonged to user spastik. I know what's in it because I helped him install it and took this pic that day. Of course I also recommend Konis because you're not going to find better quality shocks in the $1k price range.
jfrolang
Site Admin

Postby ClutchCity » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:55 pm

Ok thanks. I like how low that looks. It's about where I want mine to be. So just konis and ground control sleeves is all that car had? Do I need anything else like extended top hats or what?
ClutchCity

Postby Myriad » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:53 pm

ClutchCity wrote:Ok thanks. I like how low that looks. It's about where I want mine to be. So just konis and ground control sleeves is all that car had? Do I need anything else like extended top hats or what?

If I may chime in... :twocents: Top-hats are required for riding that low. Koni states that they will not cover any damage from shock bottoming out in their warranty.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Postby ClutchCity » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:06 pm

Just ordered the Koni yellows gc and some extended top hats. Hopefully I can go really low. I'll let you guys know what I think about the ride and stance.
ClutchCity

Postby crocrx » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:06 pm

That is way too low.

D2 is Taiwanese made [crud] just like Ksport, Megan, Blox, and a whole whack of other "companies".
crocrx

Postby ClutchCity » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:19 pm

After driving on the koni yellow and ground control set up for 5 months. I would recommend them on the CRX. The ride is rough if you want to go really low and have bad streets. But they handle well, especially when you turn the shocks to sport. They would be perfect for the track.
ClutchCity

Postby crocrx » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:32 pm

d2 is Taiwanese [crud] but depends what you are doing with the car.
crocrx

Return to Modification Garage