(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Am I being duped? Need advice.

Engine swaps, bolt-ons, tuning, OBD-1 conversions, forced induction, suspension & brake upgrades, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Am I being duped? Need advice.

Postby Mista Bone » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:58 am

PS: I suck at trying to explain how I wiggle what I do to get the case to drop.

Jeff could talk to me about chord progression on a 12 string and I'd just nod and say sure.
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby Swerc » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:23 am

Damn, sorry to hear that. If you get any free time let me know if you see anything weird about those extra pics!

Thanks again for all the help guys. If there is anything I can do to help you out let me know.

I'll post up what the tranny shop finds.. or anything else I find out.
Swerc

Postby JeffWilliamsUSA » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:37 pm

Mista Bone wrote:PS: I suck at trying to explain how I wiggle what I do to get the case to drop.

Jeff could talk to me about chord progression on a 12 string and I'd just nod and say sure.

Haha well if you ever do need advice on guitar stuff I'm happy to help. :D

I'm really curious to know if I was right about the synchros Rings and dog teeth.

And I'm curious to know what cause those big scratches on the main gears. Or if that even matters

And technically speaking this transmission should probably go to a local shop to be inspected and then have the local shop contact HMO.

With the transmission out of the car and the case Loosely attached they might not charge you anything to inspect it. Or something relatively inexpensive $50 to $75

And take lots of pictures while they're doing it LOL
STUFF 4 SALE
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=190266
Our CRX Family :)
88 HF .. J2-ReX NeW
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=200562
89 DX .. K-ReX
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=47004
91 DX .. J-ReX
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=53872
JeffWilliamsUSA

Postby Swerc » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:11 pm

Yeah, as soon as I take it to the shop I'll let you guys know. I'm planning on taking it in monday.

What pics has the big scratches you are talking about?
Swerc

Postby Swerc » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:19 pm

Alright so I may have made a discovery.. Maybe

So after watching a youtube video about honda transmissions I went to go count the teeth on the gears.
I counted 27 and 31 for 5th gear.. According to http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/temp/Bgears.htm , I either cant count ( counted twice and roommate counted as well, same numbers) or that website is wrong?

Maybe I'm just confused? Anyone got some insight on this?
Swerc

Postby Mista Bone » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:32 am

Well Katman's gear chart has issues, I prefer the G2IC link most of the time....

http://forums.g2ic.com/forum/informatio ... ar-ratios=

Again, what follows is what was in my cable JDM S1 case:

Mainshaft/ Countershaft
1st-12/ 1st-38
2nd-19/ 2nd-39
3rd-24/ 3rd-34
4th-29/ 4th-32
5th-31/ 5th-27
Final Drive: 66/15=4.4
1st: 3.166
2nd: 2.052
3rd: 1.416
4th: 1.103
5th: .870

But if you look on Katty's FF page, the Y1 89-91 Civic/CRX SiR .870 5th gear would match your teeth count of

27/31 = .8709677, which someone didn't round up properly.
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby Mista Bone » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:36 am

Jeff, if I had the time right now, the curious me wants a crack at the transmission.

PS: No interest in geetars :) Now maybe a bass :)

http://www.bigbasstabs.com/great_white_ ... _bone.html
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby Swerc » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:54 am

Just an update.

Got the tranny back from the shop. Guy looked at it for 10 min and said it looked fine. Went through the gears by using a screwdriving and moving the shift forks up and down instead of using the input shaft and everything actually spun correctly..

As this point I don't know what to do. Take to another shop? Put it back in the car and try again? Bashing my head into a wall over here.
Swerc

Postby JeffWilliamsUSA » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:08 am

Thanks for that flashback mr. Bone LOL
I knew that I knew that song but I had to Google it and ended up on a YouTube video from the 80 s
haha.
And I play six string guitar, 12-string guitar both electric and acoustic , bass, drums and keyboards and a little bit of flute violin and banjo LOL
What instrument I can play is basically limited to what's available to me LOL
So yeah no problem on that bass instruction let me know when you're ready to start LOL

RE ffsquad
My dad used to say the only thing more dangerous than a person that has no information is a person that has half the information, lol.

The chart on the alternator pinouts had me scratching my head for a freaking week.
And it's only 4 wires. But it has an error in the wire colors. If you read one chart, and compare it to the Chart below, OBD1 ( i think) magically changes wire colors from one chart to another. LOL
I finally had to figure it out through the Honda service manual schematics and info here.
So yeah if you want half the information, go to FF Squad.

The scratches I'm referring to are in The Valleys of each main gear. Maybe not all of them but at least one of the gear sets had some scratches / gouges.

And I'm not sure what you mean by
" instead of using the input shaft"
STUFF 4 SALE
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=190266
Our CRX Family :)
88 HF .. J2-ReX NeW
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=200562
89 DX .. K-ReX
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=47004
91 DX .. J-ReX
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=53872
JeffWilliamsUSA

Postby Swerc » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:04 pm

Still no news on the transmission issue. Im going to see if I can find another transmission locally that I could try on my car to see if the issue persists..

Side note: Could the fly wheel have anything to do with this? I did have it resurfaced.
Swerc

Postby Swerc » Thu May 18, 2017 11:53 pm

I'm back! Sorry for the disappearance but school took priority over the car.

I have completely(ish) taken the transmission apart and discovered a few things. I left all the gears intact, just removed them from the case, I also removed the diff. The first thing I noticed was on the inside of the top side of the transmission case (Not the side with all the gears and what not). Directly above the diff and around the hole where the axle would go in, the splines have been worn away by something. I'm not sure if when the company took this tranny apart they cleaned it up a bit or what but there is obvious damage. I have no idea what would cause this damage besides maybe the bolts on top of the diff?

https://postimg.org/image/60epqkbnl/
https://postimg.org/image/yeoqo6old/
https://postimg.org/image/4ba7w8lc1/

Now on to the next discovery,
After taking the diff out I flipped it over and did a google search on the serial number and all I could find on it was a site that says it's from a 2014 Honda CR-Z. I'm very confused. Anyone have a y1 LSD laying around to compare serial numbers to?
Swerc

Postby Mista Bone » Fri May 19, 2017 2:38 am

Clearancing the ribs for LSD.

B series, 92-93 LS, Kaaz LSD install. Two time National Champion...

BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby Swerc » Fri May 19, 2017 2:52 am

Hello again Mista Bone,

Mine is filed down on the other side of the case. The side in your picture hasn't been altered in any way. That being said I'm assuming this is definitely not a stock LSD.

Also are you saying that the LSD I have is a Kaaz? Im not sure what that means.
Swerc

Postby Swerc » Mon May 22, 2017 11:58 pm

Swerc

Postby Mista Bone » Tue May 23, 2017 12:22 am

"diff 1" looks like a Kaaz, but serious wrong fluid was used. If they have opened the trans all that should be cleaned.

My Kaaz at 50k street miles....which is unheard of said Ray @ Kaaz USA.

BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby Swerc » Tue May 23, 2017 2:39 am

That.. is nuts. Mine is dirty as hell compared to yours. That's from the wrong fluid? Could that have caused any issues? What's the numbers on your bearings? And is the other side of the case filed down like your other picture?
Swerc

Postby Swerc » Thu May 25, 2017 12:29 am

I was going to replace the bearings on the diff but I couldnt find an exact part number match. The closest I could find was 6208Z. The only visible difference is that both sides of the bearing are shielded but I'm not sure if there is a different type of grease or anything that could cause an issue. Has anyone had any experience with these?
Swerc

Postby Mista Bone » Thu May 25, 2017 1:17 am

6208's, shields don't matter. I get them for $21 each through my parts supplier. I have a set coming next week.
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby Swerc » Fri May 26, 2017 2:06 am

Great, thanks Mista Bone, I have two new 6208's installed on the diff and I've inspected everything as best as I can without taking the two shafts and all the gears on them appart. Now I'm on to filing down those spines and cleaning it before I put it back together. I was told I could use diesel or kerosene to clean the gears and innards of the transmission but after doing some more research I found that using mineral spirits was a safer alternative. Anyone have any input on cleaning materials or tips? Thanks!
Swerc

Previous

Return to Modification Garage