(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

bseries with hydro clutch question

Engine swaps, bolt-ons, tuning, OBD-1 conversions, forced induction, suspension & brake upgrades, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

bseries with hydro clutch question

Postby kracksmith » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:49 am

i have a b16 with stage 4 clutch on hydro. so stage 4 is tough but isn't being on hydro should make it feel not so tight?

or is there any advantage being on hydro clutch setup over cable?
kracksmith

Re: bseries with hydro clutch question

Postby shortA25 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:51 pm

Did you do a full hydro conversion or are you using a cable-hydro actuator?
shortA25

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:50 pm

kracksmith wrote:i have a b16 with stage 4 clutch on hydro.

Good gawd, why? I'll never again run more than a stage 2 on a NA car, let alone a 1.6! The clutch only needs to be a little bit stronger than the tires' grip on the pavement on the drive wheels.

Cable vs. hydro is really an argument on personal preference. I'm in the minority on the cable-is-better side, because cables engage the same regardless of the engine or air temperature. The floating engagement point on hydros can fk up a launch, especially with a narrow window clutch like most ceramics. It may be sacrilege, but I took the effort of swapping spec '98 S80 guts into an early teg housing just to retain the cable actuation in my 'rex.
Keep it real. This is the only Honda forum worth my time. You make it happen.
Gr8_EE8

Postby kracksmith » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:32 pm

i have a full hydro kit running Hush product with a wilwood master cylinder. Yes stage 4 is way too hard. I was grandfathered into this. the setup is from a previous owner that ran nitro and b20vtec. it was later swapped to a b16 and the clutch stayed for less expense i assume.

since I'll only go NA for now, im thinking to just use stage 1 exedy or act or something like that.
so my question is, I should just keep the Hydro setup with the stage 1? Just trying to find the best scenario instead of switching back and forth in the future.
kracksmith

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:58 pm

kracksmith wrote:so my question is, I should just keep the Hydro setup with the stage 1?

I don't see why not. It is already installed and set up for your trans, right? Pedal feel will improve with a more suitable clutch.
Keep it real. This is the only Honda forum worth my time. You make it happen.
Gr8_EE8

Postby Myriad » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:23 am

Cable vs hydro is all about pedal feel and reliability. I love the cable transmissions, but I've heard stories about the cables snapping repeatedly.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Postby Mista Bone » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:04 am

I prefer hydro pedal feel, was better for me, for drag racing. That said unknown stage 2 clutch in the car when I bought it. Centerforce Dual Friction will be going in car with heavier 11 lb flywheel when the trans comes out for a rebuild this year.
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Return to Modification Garage