(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Civic rear struts on CRX

Engine swaps, bolt-ons, tuning, OBD-1 conversions, forced induction, suspension & brake upgrades, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Civic rear struts on CRX

Postby wspangle » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:46 pm

Hello, I found it is time to replace the rear struts on my 90 CRX HF and I didn't want to pay for new ones, so off to the junkyard I went. I found a 91 hatchback with a good oem suspension on it so I took the rear struts. When I went to change them I noticed the struts on my CRX have smaller and weaker springs. Is it OK to put these stiffer struts on my car and if so, what will be the results?

Thank you for helping.
wspangle

Re: Civic rear struts on CRX

Postby betdacrx » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:54 pm

Almost positive 88-91 shocks/springs are all interchangeable across all models of CRX, Civic, and Hatch. Definitely NOT the 4 door "WagoVan" though. And you may notice that the shocks seem an inch or so longer than the old CRX shocks you take out, but they are fine.
90 Civic Hatch Si
betdacrx

Postby Spriggan » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:17 am

betdacrx wrote:Almost positive 88-91 shocks/springs are all interchangeable across all models of CRX, Civic, and Hatch. Definitely NOT the 4 door "WagoVan" though. And you may notice that the shocks seem an inch or so longer than the old CRX shocks you take out, but they are fine.

88 shocks are different than the rest, they have a different lower control arm, other than that I think you are right :-)b
Spriggan

Postby wspangle » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:34 am

They are the same height, the only difference is the Civic strut has a thicker spring and has more coils. But thank you for answering I'll switch them and let you know the difference.
wspangle

Postby Mista Bone » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Stiffer ride in the rear, will sit up higher, might change the handling in a bad way if you aren't ready for it.....
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Return to Modification Garage