(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Alternator is not charging..help!

Engine swaps, bolt-ons, tuning, OBD-1 conversions, forced induction, suspension & brake upgrades, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Alternator is not charging..help!

Postby dc2slpr » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:25 pm

My alternator is not charging properly.

Things to note:
new battery, cables are clean and not corroded, battery is charged up to 12.8V.
I initial blamed it on my alternator since i figured its most likely the culprit so i got a one.
Came to find out that wasn't the issue. Battery can start car, but I'm trying to figure out why it wont keep it charged. Normally with a proper alternator I should be getting 13-14V, when the car is on I get the same voltage as when the car is off. 12.8.. and it just slowly decreases from there. Also, the battery light is ON.

I tried looking thru underhood fuses and in the car fuses to see if any where blown. All are fine.

At the alternator is just have the obd2 conector and a ground to chassis. Am I missing something?
dc2slpr

Re: Alternator is not charging..help!

Postby Spriggan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:01 pm

did you happen to rev the engine under load to redline?

I had the same problem. connections were clean, battery checked out, replaced cables and alternator, also added another ground to the alternator. don't know why but it ended up being the battery. if you buy a new one and you continue to have the same problem just return it, it will at least rule that out.

edit: at the alternator its the obd2 plug and power, the alternator bracket does the grounding.
Spriggan

Postby dc2slpr » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:38 am

No, I didn't do the rev to redline.

I had 2 batteries before so I thought like you and bought a sealed one since its in the back and was going to need it anyway. So I have ruled that out.

Interesting though, when I did my swap looks like I cut the wire that comes out of the fuse box under hood, i'm guessing the alternator is not responding because it has no power going into it :rofl:
so that "white wire" .. where does it go to? anyone know? I'll wire it back..
guessing it goes something like this.

dc2slpr

Postby jlicrx » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:34 pm

the white wire from the alternator runs to the main under hood fuse box - it comes out of the engine harness on the passenger side, right next to the fuse box - it is the wire with the ring connector at the bottom center of the first picture below

ZCspeed Racing
jlicrx

Postby dc2slpr » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:41 pm

Thanks Jlicrx for the pictures.

So that ring alternator wire coming out from the fuse box is what i dont have..well i do, its connected to power but from there its supposed to go where?

Just to be clear pretend i have something like this.. the red is going to the battery, where does that black (white wire underneath, go to? does it also need to be connected to battery?

dc2slpr

Postby Spriggan » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:09 pm

the white wire goes to top post on the alternator. it's a threaded bolt that should have a nut on top, you will see it when looking straight down at the alternator
Spriggan

Postby dc2slpr » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:11 pm

Spriggan wrote:the white wire goes to top post on the alternator. it's a threaded bolt that should have a nut on top, you will see it when looking straight down at the alternator

yes!! your right! i just took apart one of my engine harness lol.. since i didnt have that i was grounding it to the chassis!! lol
so thats my power line? :rofl:
dc2slpr

Postby dc2slpr » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:29 pm

Ok that's fixed..now about my brakes.. i changed the rotors and calipers bleed the system from the front to the rear.. with the car off, for some reason though they dont feel proper, what else should i be looking at when bleeding the car?
dc2slpr

Postby Spriggan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:17 pm

bleed them diagonally. driver side front to passenger side rear, passenger front to driver side rear. might need to do it a few times if it doesn't feel right. I just gravity bleed them, run a quart through each into a clean bottle, always worked when I'm doing it solo. search around here and the world wide web!
Spriggan

Postby dc2slpr » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:34 am

I re did the bleeding process..same. Currently investigating what could be the issue.

I've also noticed that when the car is off and I press the brake pedal, I can hear air rushing out through my cold air intake pipe and the pedal is hard like its supposed to be. But when I turn it ON the hardness goes away and im barely able to brake.
dc2slpr

Postby dc2slpr » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:34 am

Question?

For the rear calipers, should the bleeder nipple be pointing up or down??
dc2slpr

Postby msc » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:54 pm

The bleeder always needs to be at the high pint of the caliper/cylinder. This probably means the bleeder will be pointing up but depends on the geometry of the caliper. Calipers with more then one piston can have more then one bleeder so make sure you catch them all. For example Volvo 240 front calipers have 3 bleeders per caliper and all need to be bleed.

Saying car off or car on is meaningless for non ABS brakes. Engine running or engine not running is significant so please be more specific because car on and engine running are not the same.

When pressure or vacuum bleeding the engine does not need to be running. When using the pump and hold approach to bleeding the engine should be running to provide operating vacuum to the power booster.

Sounds to me like you till have air in the system.

Mike
msc

Postby dc2slpr » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:17 am

My bad Mike, I thought it was obvious I wasn't going to run the engine while doing the brakes, can you imaging having to do the rears with the exhaust in your face lol.. i do not agree with you when you say engine should be running when doing the pump and hold approach aka 2 man method.. you should bleed the brakes with the car off, since the brake booster runs off the engine vacuum (the large diaphragm that multiplies brake force), and this should not be active. You can feel the difference by pumping the brakes a few times with the car off, then pushing with a medium effort on the brake pedal while starting; once the engine starts, the same effort will sink the pedal further and put more force on the hydraulics. It will drastically changes the pressure at which the fluid will shoot out of the calipers and shrink the time to close the bleeder screw before the pedal hits the floor......

Anyways what I meant was Key on and Key off.

And thanks for clearing the nipple part out, i think what may have happen is I accidentally installed the rear calipers on the opposite sides, they came in a box and didn't specify whether it be Left or Right.. anyways I think I'll start there.

Thanks guys, cant wait to get on the track!
dc2slpr

Postby mossin_90 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:15 pm

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
'90 CRX DX_5sp
"Maybe it's better that way... memories can be terribly painful, being able to forget is a great blessing"
mossin_90

Postby dc2slpr » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:30 am

Turns out I installed them right the first time.. and nipples point down.. wtf makes no sense but its the only way it goes in correctly and the e-brake line can connect successfully..

pic below shows how it would be if the nipple points up.. which doesn't fit!!

dc2slpr

Postby Myriad » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:59 am

dc2slpr wrote:
Spriggan wrote:the white wire goes to top post on the alternator. it's a threaded bolt that should have a nut on top, you will see it when looking straight down at the alternator

yes!! your right! i just took apart one of my engine harness lol.. since i didnt have that i was grounding it to the chassis!! lol
so thats my power line? :rofl:

:facepalm: That's hilarious. Good thing you didn't zap yourself or break something by doing that.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Return to Modification Garage