(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

I want my VTEC < I think i got it :)

Engine swaps, bolt-ons, tuning, OBD-1 conversions, forced induction, suspension & brake upgrades, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

I want my VTEC < I think i got it :)

Postby JeffWilliamsUSA » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:41 pm

Ok .. so .. still no VTEC and i'm gonna list some things i think may get me there ..
Please advise.
Main UPDATE: I think I heard VTEC kick in tonight,.. twice :)
On the first test, i failed to let the engine "warm up" smh
On the second test, about 4800 RPM I heard a sound i definitely never heard before .. :biggrin:
So at the next red light , i repeated the test and .. again around 4800 RMP .. same sound .. :)

1- I need a cable VSS drive ( not a VSS , that's in my cluster )
> DONE < thanks Mr Bone :)
** NOTE: can't seem to get the retaining clip in , not holding. Wedged in there good and working ok.

*** Plan to use a DA cable drive , the one with the power steering mech and hose that needs to be looped.
*** just fill that with regular 10w30 or should i put hydraulic fluid in there ?
I think this is the best option even though i've read that any D-Series manual trans drive would work
I'd rather use a cable drive designed for the B-series trans .. i think there's a gear alignment issue with the d-series drive. < Mr Bone .. what's the verdict , i've seen some info about swapping the gear mech but can't seem to find it when i'm looking for it .. stumbled across this in the past , cant find when i'm looking .. SMH

2- I need a to get any CEL issues solved because VTEC won't engage as a safety precaution with a CEL light.
true / false ?
ANSWER: CEL issues "related" to VTEC need to be cleared. (eg: IACV code , ok )
As noted below, I'm only getting code 14 for IACV.

3- Knock sensor - No Knock sensor .. i've hear both ..
a) i got an obd1 P72 stock no chip , no mods < SEE UPDATE ,
b) I've read that the P28 obd1 doesn't need knock but the stock P72 does ( all DOHC ECU need knock info )
c) knock sensor is a good thing to have , prevents detonation.
*** the only reason i haven't connected knock is because i can't get the connector off to solder and heat shrink and it;s ghetto wired with a twist & tape. I want to do it right.

UPDATE: i don't get a code for the un-connected Knock Sensor .. hmm , is my ECU chipped ?
Is this "jumpered" in the OBD0 to OBD1 jumper harness ?
Not sure but , i do seem to be getting VTEC.

4-I get a really high idle with the IACV connected , covering the holes indicates the FITV is ok and my idle drops normally from cold to hot with the IACV disconnected.
STUCK IACV ?

5- I'm using the stock GSR MAP , some people say to use the HF firewall mounted MAP.
true / false etc ..
*** could this be my hight idle problem and NOT the IACV ?
( corrected / edited ) MAP not TPS ( thnx mossin_90, for pointing out my error )

6- Not sure what my codes are , haven't tried that yet , got the switch wired in ..
not 100% sure of the process here, never had a CEL light before. I'm sure one of them is for IACV since it's disconnected.
UPDATE: .. only code I get is "14" which is IACV , which kind of expected. ( un-connected )

7-Even after i get all this straight , i may have a failed vtec solenoid .. any way to test that ? power it and listen for a click ?
ANSWER: Yes , it "can" be powered for a "click test" but there is a proper procedure that's more complete and analytical

Thanks in advance for your info and advice , really appreciated.

PS: i don't have any vacuum leaks and my IAB is functioning.
Throttle body / flap looks good closing all the way. looks clean in there.
Throttle cable adjust slightly loose, as per OEM spec , so that shouldn't be an issue.
Last edited by JeffWilliamsUSA on Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
STUFF 4 SALE
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=190266
Our CRX Family :)
88 HF .. J2-ReX NeW
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=200562
89 DX .. K-ReX
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=47004
91 DX .. J-ReX
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=53872
JeffWilliamsUSA

Re: I want my VTEC < insert sad puppy face :(

Postby Mista Bone » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:56 am

You want a cable drive variable power assist unit? I know where one is from a 92 Teal GSR, or a D cable drive can be made to work.

With ECU tuning the VSS signal can be bypassed, but you still need a speedo on the street.

I am leaving in the morning for an epic road trip, lost count of all the states I'll be hitting, but not heading your way.
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby Mista Bone » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:08 am

Me: If you still have the power steering VSS paperweight, I might know someone who can use it.

David: I do. It's all yours.

:closed:
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby JeffWilliamsUSA » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:01 am

Mista Bone wrote:Me: If you still have the power steering VSS paperweight, I might know someone who can use it.

David: I do. It's all yours.

:closed:

OOoo .. yes .. thank you Mr Bone :)
I'll PM you my address ..
STUFF 4 SALE
88 HF .. J2-ReX NeW
89 DX .. K-ReX
91 DX .. J-ReX
JeffWilliamsUSA

Postby dc2slpr » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:28 am

Hello Jeff,

Sad to know you dont have Vtec.. So for my build I used the crx's cable drive unto my B trans, but I used a B series electronic end-to-trans and mated it with the crx's.. I have pics somewhere that would explain to you whats inside..

All that does is get you RPM for crx's at least, the way speedo works is off the RPMs. Once you have that you need to tell your ECU to ignore speed, not sure if you have ecu management or not..if you dont its not a big deal i guess.. you could just get a cluster that accepts electronic vss and use that instead.

About the CEL lighting up I'd say false, it wont cause you to not get vtec. when you try to cross vtec you get this feeling like your in limp mode? all that is, it not knowing when to cross over since no rpms/speed..

About the CEL reading- All that you need to do is use a piece of wire or paperclip, jump the blue connector so that you connect the two wires together. Basically stick one end of the paperclip or peice of wire into one prong on the connector and stick the other end of the paperclip or wire into the other prong.
Once you have done this, turn the key to the IGN position and watch your CEL light. It will illuminate in a series of flashes.
You will notice that there will be LONG flashes and SHORT flashes. All of the ECU trouble codes are two-digits. LONG flashes = 10 and SHORT flashes = 1.

ie. LONG-LONG-LONG-SHORT-SHORT-SHORT-SHORT-PAUSE
= Trouble code 34.

Codes-
http://www.hamotorsports.com/chenlicoditr.html
dc2slpr

Postby JeffWilliamsUSA » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:24 am

dc2slpr wrote:Hello Jeff,

Sad to know you dont have Vtec.. So for my build I used the crx's cable drive unto my B trans, but I used a B series electronic end-to-trans and mated it with the crx's.. I have pics somewhere that would explain to you whats inside..
Huh ? i would like more info on this .. but .. i'll use the DA cable drive Mr Bone will send

All that does is get you RPM for crx's at least, the way speedo works is off the RPMs. Once you have that you need to tell your ECU to ignore speed, not sure if you have ecu management or not..if you dont its not a big deal i guess.. you could just get a cluster that accepts electronic vss and use that instead.

No ECU management .. Stock P72 , no mods
Later on i plan to install a GSR cluster but not until i get VTEC , then i'll do a mod that might affect VTEC
Until then i'll use the stock cluster with a cable unit for the trans.

About the CEL lighting up I'd say false, it wont cause you to not get vtec. when you try to cross vtec you get this feeling like your in limp mode? all that is, it not knowing when to cross over since no rpms/speed..

Hmm , i've heard it won't engage as a "safety precation" .. Well it doesn't do anything .. i've gone into limp mode twice but i think that was Rev Limit

RE: codes .. i got a switch on the jumper harness wires for retrieving codes but thanks for that link
STUFF 4 SALE
88 HF .. J2-ReX NeW
89 DX .. K-ReX
91 DX .. J-ReX
JeffWilliamsUSA

Postby JeffWilliamsUSA » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:15 am

bump , if anyone can "fill in the blanks" or hit one or two of the "true / False" questions , that would be sincerely appreciated. .. thanks jeff
STUFF 4 SALE
88 HF .. J2-ReX NeW
89 DX .. K-ReX
91 DX .. J-ReX
JeffWilliamsUSA

Postby mossin_90 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:13 pm

5. tps is located at the throttle body. do you mean map sensor? maybe?

4.high idle might be fitv valve as well. are the iacv and fitv hooked to water? did you checked the dashpot valve if equipped? is the iacv using the right polarization from its voltage. I would assume that being dc + power to one lead makes it open where as - would make it close. make sure its correct. I hope I'm making sense here. :rofl:
'90 CRX DX_5sp
"Maybe it's better that way... memories can be terribly painful, being able to forget is a great blessing"
mossin_90

Postby JeffWilliamsUSA » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:14 pm

mossin_90 wrote:5. tps is located at the throttle body. do you mean map sensor? maybe?

4.high idle might be fitv valve as well. are the iacv and fitv hooked to water? did you checked the dashpot valve if equipped? is the iacv using the right polarization from its voltage. I would assume that being dc + power to one lead makes it open where as - would make it close. make sure its correct. I hope I'm making sense here. :rofl:

5- oh YES !! ... MAP sensor is what i meant to type .. i'll correct that .. thnx.
4- FITV seems to be operating normally. ( did the TB hole cover test too )
cold it starts to idle a bit high , then levels off to normal ( this is with IACV un-connected )
IACV connected .. gives a high idle .. un-connected .. all is normal.
I don't think a 99 GSR has a dashpot .. might be wrong abt this ...

IACV power polarization .. hmm .. haven't checked that .. thnx
I didn't change anything on the stock HF in regards to sensors.
I have read that IACV shares a similar connector with another sensor but i'm pretty sure i check the wire colors on un-known sensors.
STUFF 4 SALE
88 HF .. J2-ReX NeW
89 DX .. K-ReX
91 DX .. J-ReX
JeffWilliamsUSA

Postby blazercrx » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:59 pm

IACV and IAT share the same plug and are located near each other on certain intakes.
Mista Bone wrote:The only LSD is what he has been smoking!

Blazercrx feedback
blazercrx

Re: I want my VTEC < I think i got it :)

Postby JeffWilliamsUSA » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:41 am

Ok so , i think i heard VTEC kick in tonight.
I've updated the main post and my main puzzled to solve is:
Why am i NOT getting a code for the un-connected Knock Sensor .. ??

Not having the IACV connected didn't seem to matter.
I do get a code for IACV , it's the only code i get.

but anyways ,
i didn't let the car warm up on the first test so this time i definitely heard a new sound at about 4800 RPM.
I repeated the test with the same results. It might have been higher than 4800, but that's the closest guess i have since i was also driving ;)

I may add a video of gauges of a 1-2-3 pull
thanks for everyones help and info .. :-)b
STUFF 4 SALE
88 HF .. J2-ReX NeW
89 DX .. K-ReX
91 DX .. J-ReX
JeffWilliamsUSA