(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Battery Relocation?

Engine swaps, bolt-ons, tuning, OBD-1 conversions, forced induction, suspension & brake upgrades, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Battery Relocation?

Postby umop3plsdn3dlus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:11 pm

Anyone done a battery relocation? If so where did you stick the battery? Right now I just have mine chilling in the center of the hatch area, but I want a better location.
Dustin - Central Texas
umop3plsdn3dlus

Re: Battery Relocation?

Postby Mista Bone » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:12 pm

where the passenger seat used to be, as far rearward as possible, but not up on the package tray area.
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby umop3plsdn3dlus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:30 pm

I think I'm keeping the pass seat as of right now, I wonder if I could build something to hide it under the car somehow, hmm... Thanks for the input, if the pass seat goes away, then that's probably where I'll stick it.
Dustin - Central Texas
umop3plsdn3dlus

Postby tommy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:50 am

What size battery are you using? Many people put it in the cargo tray behind the seats if it's a small one.

Are you planning on racing the car? Bodies have different rules for venting (yes, even a sealed battery). That could be an issue too.

Mine is in a try I got from West Coast Batteries in the passenger side at the very rear of the car. Works well for me.
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Postby umop3plsdn3dlus » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:00 pm

Way too big of a battery, I need to get the proper one when some cash flows my way.

What is this tray you speak of? It wont be raced, I'm pretty sure. I'm interested in learning and doing autocross but I never have any time so I doubt that will come in fruition.

I really like this way of mounting

http://www.westcoastbatteriesinc.com/odyssey/accessories/hd545.htm

Are these trays battery specific, as in I need to get the odyssey battery?
Dustin - Central Texas
umop3plsdn3dlus

Postby theinfamousw » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:59 am

Get a battery box and put it between the fender well and rear inside the hatch on the passenger side for best weight distribution. Cost less than $100 for box and some good wire. Never been a fan of having something that can explode and spew acid sitting right next to me, so passenger seat area or right behind is out for me
I like my women like my CRX. Short, sexy, and with a rear end that makes you say "I bet she handles like a dream"
theinfamousw

Postby tommy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:35 am

umop3plsdn3dlus wrote:http://www.westcoastbatteriesinc.com/odyssey/accessories/hd545.htm

Are these trays battery specific, as in I need to get the odyssey battery?

Yes, they're battery specific, but they list the dimensions for all of the trays. So buy one that fits your battery, though I think getting a battery that's designed for a specific tray makes much more sense.
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Postby msc » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:03 pm

Lots of options. The starting point should always be why do YOU want to relocate the battery?

Mike
msc

Postby umop3plsdn3dlus » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:04 pm

It's not for any performance reason or weight distr, just wanted to do it, think it really cleans up the engine bay. Aesthetics if you will. Thanks for the ideas guys
Dustin - Central Texas
umop3plsdn3dlus

Postby Mista Bone » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:00 pm

Then mount it in the engine bay, you can make a lower tray to gain some room. THere are pics of a mount using the front bumper beam and a smaller battery, esp. needed on turbo installs.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/proje ... ome-spark/
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby theinfamousw » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:58 am

If you're just doing for aesthetics password jdm offers a relocate kit to work with an odyssey 680 battery. Be around $250 for kit and battery. Makes it easy to hide
I like my women like my CRX. Short, sexy, and with a rear end that makes you say "I bet she handles like a dream"
theinfamousw

Postby 4drSpankR » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:58 am

Engine bay down on the passenger side frame rail. Sits right next to my B-series transmission with plenty of room. I used the PWJDM kit, it's expensive and you could easily make something work for that price. I was expecting too much from that kit.... I know of a few other local guys running this setup for years with no issue.
1991 HF - previously '90 B18A1 now '97 B18C1
1989 Si - running parts car/gone
4drSpankR

Postby msc » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:12 pm

When the basic reason is "just wanted to do it" the only real need is the owner be happy with the end result. A 100 amp fuse located at the positive battery terminal is recommended and keep the cable well protected from any sharp edges like where it passes through the fire wall.

For most performance concerns the PWJDM type passenger side "frame rail" mount is about the best option. It's simple, has the greatest weight reduction, requires no wiring mods, and clears a cold air intake.

For track performance a rear cabin relocate is only an advantage when you need the CG shift for fine tuning to be competitive near the top of your chosen road race class. A proper track relocate will never be a weight savings so this is not a valid reason to relocate.

When performance audio is the goal the battery goes as close to the Amp power terminals as you can get it.

Mike
msc

Postby umop3plsdn3dlus » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:39 am

Picked up a 300Cca small agm battery. Starts the car great, gonna stuff it between the inner fender and the outer fender in the rear passenger side I think. Just gotta make the hold down bracket.
Dustin - Central Texas
umop3plsdn3dlus

Return to Modification Garage