(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

axle seal/main seal

Engine swaps, bolt-ons, tuning, OBD-1 conversions, forced induction, suspension & brake upgrades, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

axle seal/main seal

Postby slagman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:34 pm

Not sure if I'm posting in the right spot I also posted in HT so sorry for that,
I'm debating on weather or not to change the rear main seal, (90 Si turbo, built motor). I know my axle seals are shot, there is oil everywhere under the car and I'm putting a set of Insane shafts on anyway. I should probably attempt to get to the main seal also but I don't have much experience removing transmissions and will most likely be doing it alone. There was a little oil in the bell housing behind flywheel but it wasn't drenched. My oil pan gasket may have been leaking a tad as well. Also the engine was recently rebuilt so I don't know why the main seal would go unless it wasn't set right (I know they are not supposed to be pushed all the way in). Or I can just do the axle seals and hope that's where all the oil was coming from... If anyone has insight it would be much appreciated.
slagman

Re: axle seal/main seal

Postby Myriad » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:58 am

The axle seals are for your differential fluid. Unfortunately, the troubleshooting gets weird here: engine oil is used for stock differentials, but aftermarket LSD's often call for specific gear-oil.

The main seals aren't like timing belts; you don't need to change them periodically, just when they fail. Clean the engine thoroughly and check back for any obvious leaks.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Postby Mista Bone » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:26 am

"Gear Oil" in a Honda trans will be a costly $2000+ issue

B series build with MFactory LSD and carbon synchros, all trashed in 6 weeks of driving on the street.
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby Myriad » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:00 am

I've seen LSDs call for 75w-90, but I trust your experience.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Postby raffaelli » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:20 am

I have only run mobil 1 10w30 in my trans with a quaife for about 6 years now. no issues, looks brand new.
raffaelli

Postby Mista Bone » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:23 pm

raffaelli wrote:I have only run mobil 1 10w30 in my trans with a quaife for about 6 years now. no issues, looks brand new.

Needs a crazy winter, I forgot which one was yours.

Not in this pile....

BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby Mista Bone » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:37 pm

Myriad wrote:I've seen LSDs call for 75w-90, but I trust your experience.

Look up the viscosity difference for the different fluids at their rated temps.
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby slagman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:27 am

Myriad wrote:The axle seals are for your differential fluid. Unfortunately, the troubleshooting gets weird here: engine oil is used for stock differentials, but aftermarket LSD's often call for specific gear-oil.

The main seals aren't like timing belts; you don't need to change them periodically, just when they fail. Clean the engine thoroughly and check back for any obvious leaks.

I'm going to just put everything back without doing the main seals and hope the leaks were coming from the oil pan gasket and axle seals spewing oil. As far as the oil I had regular engine oil for the gear oil like everyone has been saying but then I saw some conflicting info;

on the MFactory FAQ: http://support.teammfactory.com/support ... ential-faq
'Oil: Regular 75w90 Synthetic Oil for Street/Spirited use'

..and an old Honda Thread: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/archive/in ... 31297.html = 10w30 for street driving
slagman

Return to Modification Garage