(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

JDM/EDM Bumper Lens- Anyone "restore" them?

Engine swaps, bolt-ons, tuning, OBD-1 conversions, forced induction, suspension & brake upgrades, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

JDM/EDM Bumper Lens- Anyone "restore" them?

Postby JMZ401 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:23 pm

Anyone done this? I did the wetsand and buff thing on the exterior years ago, but now it's time the insides need to be cleaned. The US ones had a rubber gasket but these seem to be sealed like a headlight. Hate to experiment too much with these things.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
JMZ401

Re: JDM/EDM Bumper Lens- Anyone

Postby Nuckingfuts » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:41 pm

Hello, I can't imagine that the inside would need to be buffed? Is there condensation on the inside? Take the lenses off and have a better look maybe. Is it condensation or are there tiny spider cracks in the plastic?
Nuckingfuts

Re: JDM/EDM Bumper Lens- Anyone "restore" them?

Postby JMZ401 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:24 pm

The lenses don't appear to come off like the U.S. ones. These are sealed. I wasn't planning on buffing inside, but maybe just cleaning. Again opening them is the trick. Not sure if they're oven safe.

JMZ401

Postby Nuckingfuts » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:29 pm

I see, and I don't blame you for not wanting to experiment with them as they are expensive. I have brand new one's, trust me I know. I have opened up plenty of headlights with the oven method, and you are right... That is the only way to open them. If you have never done it before it can be daunting but if you are careful and take some tips it can be done flawlessly. I have opened up the plastic lensed jdm siR headlights, dc2/db8 headlights, I think the bumper lights could handle the heat. Or you could take what you could get for yours on ebay and put the $ towards a set that is cleaner. :-)b
Nuckingfuts

Postby thaeli » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:06 am

Here's how I clean sealed lights. Put some hot soapy water (Dawn dish soap) in each, and add some steel BB's. Cover the lamp hole you poured in through with your hand and shake shake shake. The BB's will gently scour everything inside, dish soap is mild enough to not damage anything further, and when in hot water is just aggressive enough to get old light gunk out.

This is an easy way to get mostly cleaned up. If there's rust or delamination on the reflector, this won't help with that, but I've found that generally cleaning out the gunk is enough to make the light perfectly usable.
thaeli

Postby EF RaceRR » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:27 pm

Rustoleum makes a nice kit that actually works pretty decent. I juat used it on my TSX

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
R Spirit
EF RaceRR

Postby JMZ401 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:14 pm

Thanks for the ideas guys. I had hit a deer back in 09 that broke the two tabs that hold it in the bumper so I might not yeild much on a sale. Im looking to pick up just the housing part from a driver's side as I can plastic weld it together. Then use your ideas to clean up. Thanks again

JMZ401

Return to Modification Garage