(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

d16a1 engine

Engine swaps, bolt-ons, tuning, OBD-1 conversions, forced induction, suspension & brake upgrades, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

d16a1 engine

Postby v8huntncrx » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:52 pm

Does anyone know what heads if any will swap onto a d16a1. for instance like a b16 head or something. and also what can i use to builkd up the motor on it. can i just use d16a6 parts. like pistons rods ect.???
89 dx (non vtec mini me. Haha)
v8huntncrx

Postby CRREX » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:13 pm

with proper modification, re drilling ports etc. you can put a DOHC ZC head on it, that's my setup. And most dohc zc parts and a d16a1 are they same, But I would still double check to be sure.
87 CRX Si.
D16 with ITB's.
The Other Rex Meat.
CRREX

Postby tonyguns » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:24 pm

I wouldn't do anything to the D16a1 at all. Its a motor that doesn't easily swap into a 2nd gen CRX. It is more of a 1st gen swap.

I'd go with a B18a1 swap from a 90-91 integra, it's a pretty easy swap, no wiring involved unless you have a DX, and a respectable HP and TQ gain.

Thats just my opinion though.
Frost White 91 CRX Si
Frost White 91 CRX HF
TN8 on facebook!!
tonyguns
Featured CRX Leader

Postby v8huntncrx » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:59 pm

well the reason im asking is cause i just got the engine for free when i bought the shell. the matter of swapping in is no issue i just wanted to know what u could do with them.
89 dx (non vtec mini me. Haha)
v8huntncrx

Postby daveb91 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:01 pm

Well if you have the motor in the sig stay with that....
daveb91

Postby Baker » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:27 pm

v8huntncrx wrote:well the reason im asking is cause i just got the engine for free .... i just wanted to know what u could do with them.

B series head swap is out.
Keep your current setup and don't waste your time with a head swap on that d16a1.
Baker
OEM+

Postby rex2nr » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:51 pm

v8huntncrx wrote:well the reason im asking is cause i just got the engine for free when i bought the shell. the matter of swapping in is no issue i just wanted to know what u could do with them.

The problem with swapping in the D16A1 is that the driver's side engine mount is in the wrong spot, so a custom mount needs to be made. For all the work to get it in and running, you'll only gain 10hp.

The DOHC ZC head interchanges with the D16A1 head. The difference between the two lies in the cams and cam gears. Everything else interchanges. The ZC/A1 head only needs to be machined to use on a single cam block because the oil ports don't match up, along with one head bolt.
-Scott-
projectCRX
2013 Ford Focus Se - DD 2005 Nissan Pathfinder - family/dog/parts hauler
http://www.niagaracrxmeet.org
rex2nr
Resto-Modder

Return to Modification Garage