Honda CRX Forum banner

runs rich, fouls plugs

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dohcman 
#1 ·
I have a 1985 CRX Si, #40 Jackson cam, aftermarket O2 sensor, matched injectors, tri-Y header, no cat. Out of the blue it started to stumble under heavy acceleration. It got progressively worse as I drove, plugs were fouling. I have replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, coil, distributor, wires, fuel pressure (aftermarket pump) is at spec measured with a Honda gauge. No codes in the ECU.
This is something that happened years after all the mods were put it place.
Suggestions? Comments? Thoughts?

#3 ·
Ahh the joys of electronic fuel injection. There is no adjusting the air/fuel mix. The computer searches for the stoichiometric ratio on its own and in this case, due to whatever component failure, it cannot find it. I have heard of installing an rheostat to adjust the mixture. That, in this case is a band-aid. I want a fix!

#4 ·
mholeshot said:
Ahh the joys of electronic fuel injection. There is no adjusting the air/fuel mix.
Lol Surprising, right?

What engine are you running? The stock EW3 (or EW4)?

EDIT: I forgot the engines before '86 were called something different.

#5 ·
do you have an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator? and is it installed before or after the fuel rail>?

I know the 85 crx does not have coils, but when vehicles with coils go bad especially mustangs the car will bog down upon acceleration. Check the wires make sure no manufacture defect, or check if there burnt or gummed up. Also on the distributor you should be able to adjust it with loosening a bolt where the distributor is slotted.

Hope this helps. Still no codes?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.