Honda CRX Forum banner

The hits keep coming. Coolant leak?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Myriad 
#1 ·
So this morning after I get to work, I decide to look at my ZC to see if I can tell which model it is (I was reading there were three types).

As I looked at the engine, I smelled a smell, and looking through to the ground, I thought, "I didn't park over a puddle."

I got under the car and behold, I believe it was coolant leaking from the bottom engine. It appeared to be coming from a seal on the left side. There was even a little piece of rubber(?) hanging down. The water was hot and maybe a little discolored, perhaps brownish. I had recently put some water with a flush mix in the radiator, which is why is wasn't greenish and the flush mix was clear.

It wasn't running hot.

Looking at a picture, it looks like it may be leaking around where the transmission casing attaches to the main engine.

Looks like a complicated fix. Is it a fix or an engine replacement?

#2 ·
sounds like you are seeing something in the vicinity of the thermostat housing - there are several places where coolant could be leaking in that area - you need to try to pin it down a little more - most of the things that could be the cause would not be very hard to fix

#3 ·
Easy fix unless there's a crack in the block (highly unlikely). Hoses are cheap and (relatively) easy to change. I would run the engine and watch for a spray or leak whilst it's going. You might need to wait until it's warmed up for any leaks to show past the thermostat.

IMO, it's probly the thermostat gasket.

#4 ·
I would look at the heater hoses first, then small EACV and throttle body hoses(those killed my engine).
then move towards either bigger hoses or O rings at the water pump tube that meets the thermostat housing.

gl

#5 ·
I've been stuck on the thermostat for weeks because while trying to remove the housing, I snapped the head off one of the bolts. THAT was disheartening to say the least. I tried vice grips, drilling and propane heat to no avail. So much advice and ranting later, I finally bought a new set of vice grips that have good teeth. I finally extracted the broken bolt shaft yesterday, which I now keep in the ashtray to remind me that obstacles can be overcome with perseverance. :D

Unfortunately, I still don't know where the leak is coming from.

#6 ·
Rabban said:
Unfortunately, I still don't know where the leak is coming from.
:lmao:

If you're getting desperate, food dye in the coolant can help locate it. I wouldn't keep it in the system for too many weeks, I'm not sure of the heat properties of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.