(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Helmet, Racing Suit and HANS

Discussions about one thing: the race. Whether it's autocross, drag, road or rally, take it TO THE TRACK and post about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Helmet, Racing Suit and HANS

Postby Kelvo » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:26 am

Where can I purchase helmet, racing suit and HANS?
Whats the brand of helmet, racing suit and HANS do you guy wear and use?
What is the name of the store?

Thanks.
GEARSPEED MOTORSPORTS
SHIFTING FOR MORE POWER
www.gearspeedmotorsports.com
Kelvo

Re: Helmet, Racing Suit and HANS

Postby Dave_Darling » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:08 pm

Depends on a whole lot of factors. The first and most important thing is that your personal safety equipment has to be legal for where you want to run. So if the rules say, "No red fire suits" then you would be really unhappy if you showed up in a red suit--even if that suit was just as safe as a blue one.

So the very first step is to find the rulebooks for all of the groups that you might run with. If you can't get ahold of rulebooks, then get ahold of the "safety steward" or the club member in charge of safety. Find out what the minimum requirements are, and then use those to rule out things that aren't acceptable. (For instance, some places will be fine with motorcycle helmets, others will require auto racing helmets specifically.)

There are a number of different systems for rating safety equipment. The most popular one for helmets here in the US is the Snell Foundation; they typically have standards that are updated every 5 years. They offer several types of certification, so usually the Snell rating is a letter and number combination. M2005, for instance, denotes a helmet approved for Motorcycle use in the 2005 update. SA2015 would be the most recent "Special Application" (auto racing) helmet. The FIA might also have ratings for helmets, but I'm not sure.

Fire suits will often have an "SFI" rating, which I think is in minutes of exposure before you get 3rd-degree burns? Something like that. FIA also has an approval system, which I think is a yes/no, and an expiration date.

There are likewise approvals for seats, for belts, and so on. In recent years, the requirements for belts have been updated to say that they can expire; belts that are too old are not considered safe until the webbing is replaced.

In general, the wider the belt is the better it distributes impact forces across your body. For the lap and shoulder belts, you usually want 3" wide webbing. You also want to install things such that the belt stays in position, which means the angles relative to your body's seated position have to be in a specific range, and you must have one or more sub straps to make sure the lap belt stays low where it should be.

There are several head-restraint systems available. Not all are accepted by all sanctioning bodies. Find out what is OK by the places you want to run. HANS is one brand, and it assumes that you have properly-attached shoulder harnesses holding the collar in place. There is another brand that separately straps the collar to your body, and others that limit your head's motion in different ways.

A lot of the differences come down to your own preferences. What fits you well, what is your budget, what provides a level of protection you think you can live with, and so on. Especially when it comes to helmets and seats, there is no substitute for trying the actual thing you are buying. Both seats and helmets need to be snug enough to stay in place (or keep you in place), but not tight enough to be uncomfortable over the course of 1/2 hour to several hours in a row.

Lots of places for mail-order. Simpson typically makes pretty good stuff. But there are others.

--DD
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Sold on 10/01/11, with over 227,000 miles.

VTEC is Honda's "select a cam profile on the fly" system; VTECH is a crappy phone.
Dave_Darling

Postby Kelvo » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:34 pm

Isn't there a universal racing suit,HANS and helmet for it?
Whats the popular brand for the racing suit and HANS?
The car is for one mile while the other car is for time attack racing.

Thanks.
Last edited by Kelvo on Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GEARSPEED MOTORSPORTS
SHIFTING FOR MORE POWER
www.gearspeedmotorsports.com
Kelvo

Postby Dave_Darling » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:37 pm

HANS is a brand name, I believe.

I don't think there is any one shop that makes everything, but there are retailers that sell some of everything. Simpson might, Summit Racing probably does, and so on.

Helmet and seat must fit the wearer properly. Helmets are not all made for the same shapes of head, and it is important that it fit your head.

Like I said, find the safety information for where you want to run. Unless you just want to spend top dollar getting equipment that meets all regulations the designers can imagine.

--DD
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Sold on 10/01/11, with over 227,000 miles.

VTEC is Honda's "select a cam profile on the fly" system; VTECH is a crappy phone.
Dave_Darling

Postby tommy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:26 am

Saferacer is a good site to get you started.

Yes, HANS is the name of the company that made the original neck device, but it's more of a general term these days. Dave's advice is all good.
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Postby raffaelli » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:49 pm

Kelvo wrote:Isn't there a universal racing suit,HANS and helmet for it?
Whats the popular brand for the racing suit and HANS?
The car is for one mile while the other car is for time attack racing.

Thanks.

What is one mile?

Time attack has a set of rules unto itself, usually. What group will you run with? As said, it matters as to what you need to buy.

I run with SCCA among others.

I have:
GForce Helmet Pro Eliminator
GForce one peice suit SFI 3.2A/5 2005 (545 I think?), gloves, socks.
Defnder head and neck restraint
GForce 6pt cam lock FIA harness

This gets me through tech 100% of the time.
raffaelli

Postby kevbo82 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:08 pm

If possible I would highly suggest finding a retailer in your area where you can go actually try items on. If you have no idea what you want or need you may be very unhappy with a purchase online when you find the helmet you bought doesn't fit your head shape, or simpsons idea of large and your body size didn't match, etc.
kevbo82

Postby budget_crx » Fri May 13, 2016 3:07 pm

Demon Tweeks ships worldwide, try them out.
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/
'89 ED9 - '89 EF7 - '90 EF8
budget_crx

Return to Track Racing (Drag/Autocross/Road/Rally X)