(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Battery

Discussions about one thing: the race. Whether it's autocross, drag, road or rally, take it TO THE TRACK and post about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Battery

Postby mike l » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:59 am

Does anyone run a lithium ion battery?

If so, what is your setup - how is it hooked up?

Do you recharge it from the alternator - or is it only hooked up to start the car?

I've seen varying commentary on how to hook them up properly, so they don't overcharge, or burn, etc.

This guy says he just hooks it straight up, and recharges from the alternator - and never had any problems:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/ ... 030/page1/

Any input would be welcome.
mike l

Re: Battery

Postby RENEGADE » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:09 am

I and many other people run the Shorai batteries.

http://www.baautox.com/forum/index.php? ... 59&start=0
RENEGADE

Postby mike l » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:34 pm

Is the Shorai battery plug and play - do you connect and recharge it via the alternator, or do you recharge with a separate charger?
mike l

Postby RENEGADE » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:09 pm

Sorry, have not been back in a while, yes, Shorai charger via the Alternator.
RENEGADE

Postby mike l » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:32 am

so then to follow this path of logic, that article above in grassroots sounds like it is correct - we can use those RC batteries at 1/2 pound and $40.
mike l

Postby Dave_Darling » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:09 pm

Unknown how long they'll last, and you won't be able to sit in the car running the stereo with the engine off for very long. (Plus in very cold weather, there may be issues with starting the car. Maybe?)

A few caveats: I believe Li-Ion batteries are not very compatible with water; they don't like getting very wet. And if you overcharge them badly enough, they can have some "interesting" problems. (As in, swelling up and exploding!)

--DD
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Sold on 10/01/11, with over 227,000 miles.

VTEC is Honda's "select a cam profile on the fly" system; VTECH is a crappy phone.
Dave_Darling

Postby mike l » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:24 am

I'm not concerned about running accessories without the engine running. I generally don't do that anyway. And I'm not looking for a full-time replacement, so cold weather isn't a concern either. Really what I am looking for - is a temporary use, super lightweight battery for racing. If safe and reliable, I'll keep my 12# atv battery in the car for daily driving, and then swap in the .5# battery on raceday; drive it to the track, race it, drive it home, then swap back to the 12#er.

I've already gone from the 30# oem battery, down to a AGM 12# battery . . . but why not get really lean on the battery on race-day, especially if you can do it for a relatively low cost - like $40?

My main primary concern; is the small RC l-ion battery safe to use with the car recharge system (no fires, explosions, etc)? From a safety standpoint, if the alternator isn't made to charge these batteries and overcharges it (and there is no safety), then you are looking at the potential of an underhood fire or explosion. Not good alternatives.

It could be as simple as knowing if the Shorai battery has some sort of fusable link or electronic controlling device to prevent overcharging - and whether or not the RC batteries have that same safety . . . but I can't find that information anywhere.

From a reliability standpoint - I'm assuming starting the car once or twice will basically completely drain the battery - so if the recharge system won't recharge it, then i'll be dead-in-the-water and need jumped at the track. This also sounds like an operational/composition comparison with a Shorai battery could give us the answers . . . if I could find that information (which I can't).

As far as water - they use l-ion batteries in radio control boats. So a water-tight battery box from one of those *should keep a battery completely dry (I would hope).
mike l

Postby signalpuke » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:14 am

Any updates on user experience with these small batteries in the CRX?
Assuming it is a stock compression B-series, has anyone used one of these in a daily driver?
signalpuke

Postby Dave_Darling » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:16 pm

The small-capacity ones are very definitely not suitable for a daily driver. At least, not yet.

Could be fine for a race car with limited duty and frequent inspections.

--DD
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Sold on 10/01/11, with over 227,000 miles.

VTEC is Honda's "select a cam profile on the fly" system; VTECH is a crappy phone.
Dave_Darling

Return to Track Racing (Drag/Autocross/Road/Rally X)