(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Subwoofer under seat?

Audio, video, navigation, radar detectors and more. Also for alarms, security systems, kill switches, and other immobilization techniques.

Moderator: Moderators

Subwoofer under seat?

Postby 1990zrx » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:57 pm

I want to know if its possible to put an amp under the passenger seat and a sub-woofer under the drivers seat? If so what amp/sub would fit best? My cargo box is full and I really don't want to put anything in the rear. I saw it done once on a subaru but there was a bit more room under the seats. Thanks for any input! :-)b
1990zrx

Re: Subwoofer under seat?

Postby Baker » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:53 am

What about using and installing a powered sub?
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby jfrolang » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:08 am

A small amp can fit under the seats, but no subwoofer would. Even an extremely thin subwoofer like JL's TW5 line still needs at least 3 inches. There's not that much room under there.
jfrolang
Site Admin

Postby Jee-F » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:25 pm

I like bakers set up, curious to see more pics
IG: Jee_Kay88 (mostly CRX pics)

2003 Civic Street Edition - DD
Mugen EF8 - Project -B16s suck
Jee-F

Postby Baker » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:50 pm

Jee-F wrote:I like bakers set up, curious to see more pics

Not my setup and not a powered sub (like I thought it was), but nice stealth looking setup nonetheless.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36778

Infinity basslink sounds very nice and WON'T take up your entire cargo area!
Not in a Crx, but you get the point of how much room it takes up.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby daveb91 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:43 pm

Infinity basslink has a high failure rate of amplifiers....easy google search will confirm. Sounds good when working though.
daveb91

Postby Baker » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:09 am

daveb91 wrote:Infinity basslink has a high failure rate of amplifiers....easy google search will confirm. Sounds good when working though.

Sadly, once I read more reviews on them, it was true. :(
But, like you said, they do sound great when they are working... :D
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby j3wman » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:47 pm

85-89 MR2s had the subwoofer style OP is referencing with about an equal amount of underseat space. Subwoofer was very ineffective and barely audible.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=84682 Hey kid, Wanna see a really cool CRX? Click the link.
j3wman

Postby razordave » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:53 pm

Even if you were to throw an open air subwoofer under your seat, it wouldn't sound very good. Subwoofers need boxes and if you don't have room for a box, you won't get the big booming bass that you want.

Hang them from the roof, or build them into your dash.
89 si b18a1 obd1 5 spd gutted disc rear
88 si d16y8 obd1 5 spd (Y49) Purchased on 12/13/14
razordave

Postby daveb91 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:57 pm

No room under seat in these cars....use the huge hatch.
daveb91

Postby Baker » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:13 pm

j3wman wrote:85-89 MR2s had the subwoofer style OP is referencing with about an equal amount of underseat space. Subwoofer was very ineffective and barely audible.

I never knew that about the MR2, but seems like a big waste if you can't even hear it enough to make a difference in the sound quality.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby j3wman » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:32 pm

It came with a better head unit as well
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=84682 Hey kid, Wanna see a really cool CRX? Click the link.
j3wman

Postby tommy » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:08 pm

A small powered sub doesn't take that much room in the back of our hatches. I still have decent storage with mine in place. You don't need that much power back there.
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Postby Baker » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:34 am

tommy wrote:A small powered sub doesn't take that much room in the back of our hatches. You don't need that much power back there.

:-)b
A nice little 8" or 10" will perform and sound great! You don't need to waste space on anything bigger.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby duckology » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:53 am

daveb91 wrote:Infinity basslink has a high failure rate of amplifiers....easy google search will confirm. Sounds good when working though.

I've had one in the hood of my 911 for about 10 years now and no problems. Granted it gets minimal usage, maybe 15k of mileage total but it still sounds great. Rivals the Kicker box I had back in the day with two eights and two passive tens. I use a low level input specifically designed for a sub and set the gain to the middle setting. Will bounce a coffee cup off the targa top.
duckology

Postby daveb91 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:38 am

High rate of failure doesnt equal 100%

I mean there are still some yugos on the road....that doesnt mean they are reliable.
daveb91

Postby duckology » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:53 am

daveb91 wrote:High rate of failure doesnt equal 100%

I mean there are still some yugos on the road....that doesnt mean they are reliable.

I am curious how you determined that they have a high rate of failure? Do you know how many units they sold vs how many failed? Anything with 10 years+ of production is going to have failures and they will get posted.
duckology

Postby daveb91 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:41 am

Do any search on them and I looked at them years ago and they had had a bad rap. Amplifier were going out on them. I usually research before I purchase.
daveb91

Postby Baker » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:38 am

duckology wrote:I am curious how you determined that they have a high rate of failure? Do you know how many units they sold vs how many failed?

Do you know how many units sold vs. how many failed either, to call them reliable?

Just looking at a handful of reviews from a few years back, it's the same MO, "Great sound for the price" and "Unit sounds great when working".
One review I read, the amp went out in 20 mins, one at 5 months, others at around a year or just out of warranty.
I'm sure the # of failed units doesn't exceed the units produced, BUT, reading reviews like that where they all say the same thing, the amp burned out, would make me shy away from a product like that. I don't know, just me. :shrug:
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby tommy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:11 am

Well, in my Lambo, I had several Basslinks, and none of them failed. I consider that unassailable factual evidence.
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Postby duckology » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:19 pm

Baker wrote:Do you know how many units sold vs. how many failed either, to call them reliable?

While I can't give an exact number of units sold I can say that more Basslinks have been sold than any other powered sub woofer, hands down.

I never said they were reliable, I did say mine was reliable with caveats, low usage and proper installation. Like OP I needed to fit a sub into a space that was very small and provided good thump.

I questioned the reasoning behind labeling something that has 4 or 4.5 stars on every review site as having a high failure rate. I think everyone realizes that if you sell enough volume of product, especially self installed amplifiers, you are going to have failures. Failures will receive disproportional publicity as peeved people are more likely to post things than happy people. Finding any similar sub with amp for comparison of reliability is not even possible as no other sub has even remotely as many reviews as the infintiy basslink.

Crutchfield users give it 4.5 stars out of 5.

I do agree that a subwoofer with a built in amplifier is not going to last as long as subs with a separate amp, as amplifiers can and will go bad at some point in their lifespan and then you have a really nice speaker enclosure with no power. I still think you would be hard pressed to find similar performance for the space consumed by a basslink, there is a reason that they have sold so many. Poorly designed products have a tendency to phase themselves out in the market place, after 10 years of production they don't appear to be slowing down.
duckology

Postby daveb91 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:33 pm

Most reviews are given right after purchase on sites like crutchfield you need to go to audio sites for accurate reviews...

If you are not finding the same reviews I can easily find, I can't help you and you fail at the simple Internet search...I'm done with ignorance...you continue to enjoy your basslink, I'm not recommending one. 4.5 out of 5 stars tells me [crud] about how long it lasts, it just tells me how happy people were when they bought it and first installed it. I don't sit there buy a product and wait two year to write a review and many others don't either.

I don't buy a car and rate the reliability as great based on the ride home from the dealer.
daveb91

Postby duckology » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:21 pm

daveb91 wrote:If you are not finding the same reviews I can easily find, I can't help you and you fail at the simple Internet search.

So you did a simple internet search for a popular product that has been in production for over 10 years and found a few reviews that said that the units fail. Then labeled the unit as having a high failure rate. I'll have to disagree with your rudimentary assessment because of you know, math.
duckology

Postby Baker » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:28 pm

duckology wrote:While I can't give an exact number of units sold I can say that more Basslinks have been sold than any other powered sub woofer, hands down.

You can't give an exact # sold but can you have sales figures to back up your other claim?
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby daveb91 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:21 pm

duckology wrote:
daveb91 wrote:If you are not finding the same reviews I can easily find, I can't help you and you fail at the simple Internet search.

So you did a simple internet search for a popular product that has been in production for over 10 years and found a few reviews that said that the units fail. Then labeled the unit as having a high failure rate. I'll have to disagree with your rudimentary assessment because of you know, math.

whats a few to you???You cant even use search.
daveb91

Next

Return to Car Audio, Gadgets and Security