(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Subwoofer under seat?

Audio, video, navigation, radar detectors and more. Also for alarms, security systems, kill switches, and other immobilization techniques.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Subwoofer under seat?

Postby duckology » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:40 am

Baker wrote:
duckology wrote:While I can't give an exact number of units sold I can say that more Basslinks have been sold than any other powered sub woofer, hands down.

You can't give an exact # sold but can you have sales figures to back up your other claim?

Harman doesn't break down sales by individual unit, so no exact sales figures are available from the manufacturer. You can determine between different models which has had more sales by simply adding up the number of individual reviews for each particular model and comparing those values.

The Infinity Basslink has more than 1000 individual reviews posted on sites like amazon, Crutchfield, and other 3rd party distributors. This figure dwarfs every other amplified sub. The closest would probably be the Bazooka with 350 ish reviews. This is not surprising as they have been selling the base model for over 10 years. Assign whatever ratio you like to the number of sales per review posted and you can guesstimate the number of units sold compared to any other given model unit.

My guess would be about 300 units sold per review posted. So a very rough guesstimate of sold Basslinks would be somewhere in the ballpark of 300k units over the last 10 years. With a failure rate of 5% that would mean 15k failed units sold to date. So seeing some of those 15k people posting reviews of failures should not be very surprising, in fact it should be expected. If the failure rate was a measly 1% you would still have 3,000 failed units and those people would certainly post their displeasure.
duckology

Postby duckology » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:35 am

daveb91 wrote:whats a few to you???.

A few would be not enough to form an educated opinion. If a product has been sold in large numbers for 10 years, even with a very small failure rate it is going to have a high number of "failure" review posts. Querying strings on the internet is useless if you can't extrapolate meaningful data from the results.
duckology

Postby Baker » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:14 am

duckology wrote:My guess would be about 300 units sold per review posted. So a very rough guesstimate of sold Basslinks would be somewhere in the ballpark of 300k units over the last 10 years. With a failure rate of 5% that would mean 15k failed units sold to date. So seeing some of those 15k people posting reviews of failures should not be very surprising, in fact it should be expected. If the failure rate was a measly 1% you would still have 3,000 failed units and those people would certainly post their displeasure.

You also are assuming that everyone that buys one that has one fail, is posting a review.
Regardless of sale figures, strictly as a consumer, reviews and word of mouth are all we have to go by.
Realistically speaking, it doesn't come down to # produced, if it is reported that an item has the same reoccurring issue of failure throughout many reviews, that being the amp, which IS a big deal and renders the item useless if it does, it's not worth taking the chance on, at least for me.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby crxblues » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:49 am

i had a basslink in my 87 3-series that was removed from a boat. worked great for a few months til it stopped working.
crxblues

Postby razordave » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:04 pm

removed from a boat, and still worked? sounds like a win to me.
89 si b18a1 obd1 5 spd gutted disc rear
88 si d16y8 obd1 5 spd (Y49) Purchased on 12/13/14
razordave

Postby daveb91 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:32 pm

razordave wrote:removed from a boat, and still worked? sounds like a win to me.

why, audio in boats is perfectly fine you dont put the speakers on the anchor and throw in water??

And again the reviews are right after purchase you have to go to an audio site to get real reviews but sense you are being stupid and can only get as far as crutchfield or amazon I guess this discussion is done.
daveb91

Postby razordave » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:04 pm

Maybe audio in boats not in salt water.. Any electronics here in Florida take a beating from heat, add salt water and im surprised it even worked in the boat.

I personally like my amps separate from speakers so... I don't have to concern myself with a faulty basslink or corny bazooka ;)

Gimme some l5s and a nice amp any day.
89 si b18a1 obd1 5 spd gutted disc rear
88 si d16y8 obd1 5 spd (Y49) Purchased on 12/13/14
razordave

Postby daveb91 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:20 am

My grandfather who lives ironically in Fort Myers..actually Sanibel has a boat with no problems at all with electronics or the stereo. If you put it where it will get weather thats your own fault.
daveb91

Postby duckology » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:20 pm

Baker wrote:You also are assuming that everyone that buys one that has one fail, is posting a review.

No, I said, "So seeing some of those 15k people posting reviews of failures should not be very surprising"

Baker wrote:Regardless of sale figures, strictly as a consumer, reviews and word of mouth are all we have to go by it doesn't come down to # produced,.

You are saying that the volume of units produced has no bearing on the weight you give when reading reviews? All electronics have some failure rate, every manufacturer of electronic products that sell in large volume offer refurbished units at reduced prices, because of this fact.

I will say that the Basslink2 the 250w version appears to likely have had some type of engineering design flaw, which ultimately lead to it being discontinued. The 200 watt unit has literally thousands of posts from people who have had them for years and experienced no problems. It comes with a 1 year warranty and for the ultra paranoid you can get a 3 year extension.
duckology

Postby duckology » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:09 pm

daveb91 wrote:And again the reviews are right after purchase you have to go to an audio site to get real reviews but sense you are being stupid and can only get as far as crutchfield or amazon I guess this discussion is done.

First you replied to the wrong person. Second the negative reviews you are citing are predominately found on merchant web sites because that is where people complain. The audio websites seem to disagree with your rudimentary search assessment of the product in question. If you do not have something more than "I am an awesome searcher, and found a few negative reviews for a product that has been sold for over 10 years in large volumes" then yes your uninformed opinion on the product has been noted and your contributions to the discussion are no longer needed.

How many of the negative posts are from people who reversed polarity on install?

"Some amps have protection against reverse polarity voltage wiring (installer error), many don't. The cheap little amp they put in a little thing like the BassLink - I'd be very doubtful. If it doesn't, it's often fatal to the built in amp"
Source: caraudioforum.com

"I think most of the bad reviews are from people who either don't know how to install audio properly or just throw it in hoping for block rocking bass."
Source: caraudio.com

"I have had the bass link for about 2 years now and its still going strong... I live in North Carolina (every type of weather) and its in the back of my honda passport. Its even been in a wreck where a tree almost hit it. It still works like new. Overall its a great sub for the price.
Source: anandtech.com

"buy a self-amplified sub, like an infinity basslink"
Source: ecoustics.com

And one final review. I've owned one for 10 years and have had no problem, for the price and the space used it would be hard to find a better deal. I'm buying another for my CRX. < Real review.
duckology

Postby daveb91 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:40 pm

I replied to the right person in the quote then the second part was to you... You have no idea where I am getting my info. I told you before it was on audio forums I am a member of not some place with quick retail feedback... You are obviously not listening.
daveb91

Postby duckology » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:13 am

daveb91 wrote:You have no idea where I am getting my info.

I have an idea, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Link to it, if you are an expert searcher then certainly you have mastered the ability to post url links. The claim you made was that the unit had a high failure rate. You have provided ZERO evidence to back up that claim. If you want to see if a product has a high failure rate the best place to search is the place where failures will be reported. That is at merchant websites not some tiny off the wall audio forum that has a very small audience.

A simple math problem to make the point clear.

Product A sells 300,000 units and has 3000 failures leading to 750 online negative reviews.(25% of the people who have a unit fail actually take the time to post a negative review online).

Product B sells 5,000 units and has 100 failures leading to 25 online negative reviews.(25% of the people who have a unit fail actually take the time to post a negative review online).

Some guy goes searching online for product reviews and finds a ton of negative reviews for Product A and decides to purchase product B because it has less negative reviews. Is some guy making the correct decision by choosing product B?

Answer: No. Some guy who chose product B failed to thoroughly research his product choices as he chose the product with the higher failure rate. Product A has a failure rate of 1%, Product B has a failure rate of 2%.

This concept is really rather simple and not really debatable unless you don't understand basic math.
duckology

Postby daveb91 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:13 pm

I'm a member of at least two online audio enthusiast sites I recommend you join one, research and learn something. It is definitely more informational than looking at Amazon comments section
daveb91

Postby duckology » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:20 pm

daveb91 wrote:I'm a member of at least two online audio enthusiast sites I recommend you join one, research and learn something. It is definitely more informational than looking at Amazon comments section

No link eh? Link it/they or you are just making stuff up.
duckology

Postby daveb91 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:34 pm

It's made up.
No spoon feeding for you noob .
daveb91

Postby duckology » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:46 pm

daveb91 wrote:It's made up.
No spoon feeding for you noob .

We all know it is made up and you won't link it because then you'd be proven as providing fraudulent info.

Resulting to name calling, is literally 3rd grade level debate.
Last edited by duckology on Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duckology

Postby Baker » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:48 pm

duckology wrote:
You have provided ZERO evidence to back up that claim. If you want to see if a product has a high failure rate the best place to search is the place where failures will be reported. That is at merchant websites not some tiny off the wall audio forum that has a very small audience.
This concept is really rather simple and not really debatable unless you don't understand basic math.

You have provided 0 solid proof as well. You don't know sales/production numbers, you're strictly guessing and pulling numbers from the sky, you're method using basic math, yes makes sense, is it realistic, no.

Point being, if I see multiple reviews, from different sites , stating the failure of a product, that being the same failure over and over, will I buy that product, no. Simple as that. I've gotten this far in life using some common sense and a little bit of reasoning.

I would trust the opinions/facts and reviews of forum members from a specific site of a product over the manufactures website where reviews are left.

Bottom line here, you're simply a pompous, dickhead with a matter of fact/ act like your better and know more than everyone else attitude, who for the life of themselves refuses to actually have a discussion and will fight to the death to try to prove their opinions/views are right over the dumbest, innocuous [crud]....on the internet.
Congrats..you've won.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby duckology » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:06 pm

Baker wrote:You don't know sales/production numbers, you're strictly guessing and pulling numbers from the sky,

The numbers are based on the actual existing posted reviews, that is not "from the sky." We know for a fact the unit has been produced for 10 years, again not from the sky.

Baker wrote:you're method using basic math, yes makes sense, is it realistic, no..Point being, if I see multiple reviews, from different sites , stating the failure of a product, that being the same failure over and over, will I buy that product, no. Simple as that..

So you don't take scale into account when reading reviews. Ok to each their own.

Baker wrote:I would trust the opinions/facts and reviews of forum members from a specific site of a product over the manufactures website where reviews are left.

I agree, I would weigh more heavily reviews from an audiophile as well, I've linked to several in previous posts that do not assert that the unit has a high failure rate. If other information exists then perhaps someone making the initial claim could simply link to that site and enlighten us all.

Baker wrote:Bottom line here, you're simply a pompous, dickhead with a matter of fact/ act like your better and know more than everyone else attitude, who for the life of themselves refuses to actually have a discussion and will fight to the death to try to prove their opinions/views are right over the dumbest, innocuous [crud]....on the internet.
Congrats..you've won.

You don't seem to shy from continuing to debate the topics I debate, yet you provide no substantive evidence to support your opinion. So you are me, without any evidence. Congrats you lose.
duckology

Postby Baker » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:16 pm

duckology wrote:Congrats you lose.

Sure, if that's what it's about for you, I'm good with that. You've been a tool from day one, so anything to bump your superiority ego up...
From what I hear....you're doing well making friends around here.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby jfrolang » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:19 pm

jfrolang
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Car Audio, Gadgets and Security