(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Square Footage Of Sound-Deadening Mat

Audio, video, navigation, radar detectors and more. Also for alarms, security systems, kill switches, and other immobilization techniques.

Moderator: Moderators

Square Footage Of Sound-Deadening Mat

Postby NWRex » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:10 am

I'm going to be putting some Rockford Fosgate PUNCH 6.5 component speakers in my doors, and an Infinity Kappa 120.9w sub in a custom enclosure in the back.

Before install, I really want to tear out my interior and do some sound-proofing. Not only help with quality of sound from speakers in the doors, but dang near eliminate the droning road noise on the highway.

Looking to finish with it looking something like this. (just picture the interiors of Rex's. lol)

Im curious if anyone has ever done the same thing and would have an idea of how many square feet to order?

If not, ill be ordering in the next week and will be documenting the project to add on here. (DIY material?)
NWRex

Re: Square Footage Of Sound-Deadening Mat

Postby C.R.Xander » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:36 am

I got a pack of 36 square feet. I did the entire cargo area, sides and floor. I did NOT cover the spare tire well. For that I used a spray on truck bed liner.
I have 4 sheets left to do the doors and front floor. Each sheet = 4 square feet.
You will need more if you do both sides (inside and outside) of the doors.
The stuff I got is 'Extreme Dynamat'
C.R.Xander

Postby KevinEF7 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:00 am

Completely coverring the surface like that is literally a huge waste of your money. You only need to cover 25% of the panel, going around and placing for example 5" X 5" scuares on large flat areas and between panels and such.

There are many good threads on caraudio.com about this and how anything more is simply a waste and making your car heavier with no gain in resonance loss.

If you want to eliminate road noise, I highly suggest Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and firewall, money well spent if knocking road noise down is high on your priority list.

I used to do custom car audio for a living, have probably deadened over 50 vehicles front to back, and would only completely cover panels if the customer insisted (and coverred the huge cost), I would always advise them against it but the information against it hasnt been out to long, some even wanted 2-3 layers!

25-30 sq/ft will do an entire Crx
KevinEF7

Postby Rommel » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:47 pm

KevinEF7 I will respectfully disagree. Resonance is resonance and reducing/eliminating it the the key in a mobile environment. Spot sound deadening is acoustically effective and cost effective for most people. Like anything there is always that little extra for that last 10%. I did my '04 Civic with 40-50sq.ft to start with(spot sound deadening) for testing results, which were a very noticeable improvement. I then completed an additional 80-90sq.ft to finish off the car, which got that extra 10%. This will mostly benefit only demos & competition but worth the extra effort, imo!! btw, system consisted of Eclipse CD8053, MB Quart QSD216 front & back(not current MB branded crap), JL Audio 450/4, 500/1 & 10W7(sealed enclosure).
1990 CRX DX A/T to M/T Swap & B16B
http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=55978
Rommel

Postby razordave » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:53 pm

So, 3 times the cost for the extra 10%?!

I'm pretty spoiled by the mercedes, you hardly hear tire squeal.

Then I get into my rex with no carpet and go deaf at 40 mph.
89 si b18a1 obd1 5 spd gutted disc rear
88 si d16y8 obd1 5 spd (Y49) Purchased on 12/13/14
razordave

Postby Rommel » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:02 am

razordave wrote:I'm pretty spoiled by the mercedes, you hardly hear tire squeal.

and why did you buy the Mercedes??
Rommel

Postby razordave » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:06 am

That's a tough question. I paid the same for it as I did the 89 si :p

But really, I needed a real estate car. I'm a realtor and as you can imagine, it's tough to show properties in a crx lol
razordave

Postby KevinEF7 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:48 am

What evidence do you have of this extra gained 10% by applying 3X the mat?

Real evidence is posted in the link I provided, its your money and your free to waste it. 25% coverage is more than enough, the real gains for road noise are in the mass loaded vinyl, butyl rop on the panels that nearly touch eachother and noise absorbing liners they have come out with, that weigh nearly nothing

My Infinti was also my demo vehicle, 4 Audioque HDC3 18's in a 22 cubic foot box with over 6000rms. No rattles at full tilt or noticeable road noise with knobby tires on 20" rims, I was meticulous with 25-30% coverage, mass loaded vinyl, butyl rope, velcro. Sounds like a tank

Sound deadner also weighs a ton!
KevinEF7

Postby razordave » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:15 am

I noticed in the supplied link, add 100lbs to a crx.
razordave

Postby NWRex » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:58 am

Well, I finally found time to sit down and skim over the site you supplied a link for. You're right, really good information. But they dont shy away from complete covering of panels. They even look to be using different varieties of materials in layers just for the door. I found 150 sq. feet of 80mil thick deadener with a layer of butyl in it, for 150. So it doesn't really seem to be all the expensive to cover all the bases since you should be pulling the full interior out anyways. As far as weight, well. Somethings gonna have to hold me on the road once the swap comes in :-)b

My deadener is on order, and im now changing up to some amped focal components in my doors and a AVH-x2600bt head unit after some fabrication to the stereo faceplate. I saw a pretty cool walk through, i cant remember if it was here or on honda tech, but you can fit a double din and it looks pretty much factory. So thats on the to do list as well.
NWRex

Postby Rommel » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:37 pm

KevinEF7 wrote:What evidence do you have of this extra gained 10% by applying 3X the mat?

Oh man this was back in 2004 but we used DB readings & rta so I don't remember exact numbers. I should have also mentioned I used dynapad over dampening as well. The db reading was less than 2db but the rta curve was more favorable.
Rommel

Postby crxbox360 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:20 pm

Don't mean to bring up a dead thread, but 25% as KevinEF7 said is definitely enough. I've done many different cars, from muscle cars like '70 Chevelles, Novas, Camaros and my own '88 Firebird to older late '60s up to mid '80s Ferraris Porches Mercedes and Lambos. I've never done a complete cover. My cousin however did do a complete cover in a '70 Challenger. No difference what so ever. Road noise and exhaust were the same.

I plan on doing some to my Rex, but just to get rid of some of the rattle from my system.

And, sound deadener mat should only be used on flat panels that don't have any reinforcements. If there is a reinforcement, spray can be used.
crxbox360

Return to Car Audio, Gadgets and Security