(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Automatic headlights

Audio, video, navigation, radar detectors and more. Also for alarms, security systems, kill switches, and other immobilization techniques.

Moderator: Moderators

Automatic headlights

Postby Scorpo'n'Scorpa » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:30 pm

I am terrible at leaving my lights on and killing my battery, it's like 3-4 times a month. And I have goals to make some small but helpful mods with my CRX. Of all the over the top miss like lambo doors, or body kits, and jacked up stereo systems( new stereo system is on my to do list).

It would be really cool if there was a way of installing automatic headlights and courtesy interior lights. I mean why not have some new tech. Course I am sure this would mean a lot of electrical would be involved. But that's the price of luxury, just time and effort with a bit of money and creativity. :biggrin:
Scorpo'n'Scorpa

Re: Automatic headlights

Postby jfrolang » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:02 am

It's a simple job to add a headlight reminder in case you leave them on:
http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=443
jfrolang
Site Admin

Postby Jee-F » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:14 am

I can't give you any input on automatic headlights, but you can always run relays to make it so your headlights won't be able to be on without the ignition being on. I plan on doing this to my daily, basically you spice the constant power going to the headlight switch (and parking lot if need be) and install a relay between the two side sides, add ground and add switched power from the ignition switch (or another source if preferred). That way if the ignition is on the power cant flow through the headlight switch.

I've never looked into retrofitting auto headlights but I would presume there's a light sensor that is connected to a relay that bypasses the headlight switch and feeds power to your lighting circuit when it senses low light.
IG: Jee_Kay88 (mostly CRX pics)

2003 Civic Street Edition - DD
Mugen EF8 - Project -B16s suck
Jee-F

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Mon May 09, 2016 8:32 am

If you want to go new-tech, any of the higher end security systems has headlight control relay output options that you can program against a timer. I think it's all pretty easy and straightforward, but I have really lost my perspective on what it's like to be new at automotive electrical systems.

Here's my CRX system. Fits under the Driver's seat. It's tapped into headlights, parking lights, horn, dome light, ECU, ign+ batt, gnd, power locks, trunk release, and a very small siren hidden inside the cab (ouch). I have channels available for a RFID proximity fob for total keyless operation and a few extras for later. Handheld programmer lets you set the parameters, but they can be set manually if you are a savage like that.

Left to right, from top- aux batt, batt controller, brain, 2-zone proximity sonar, power lock module, cellular enabled GPS, tilt sensor, shock sensor, glass break sensor, and auxiliary control relays for the goodies. A setup like this will address your light problem, and let you set up your CRX as if it were a modern car.
Keep it real. This is the only Honda forum worth my time. You make it happen.
Gr8_EE8

Postby haitian-REX » Mon May 09, 2016 1:37 pm

Gr8_EE8 wrote:If you want to go new-tech, any of the higher end security systems has headlight control relay output options that you can program against a timer. I think it's all pretty easy and straightforward, but I have really lost my perspective on what it's like to be new at automotive electrical systems.

Here's my CRX system. Fits under the Driver's seat. It's tapped into headlights, parking lights, horn, dome light, ECU, ign+ batt, gnd, power locks, trunk release, and a very small siren hidden inside the cab (ouch). I have channels available for a RFID proximity fob for total keyless operation and a few extras for later. Handheld programmer lets you set the parameters, but they can be set manually if you are a savage like that.

Left to right, from top- aux batt, batt controller, brain, 2-zone proximity sonar, power lock module, cellular enabled GPS, tilt sensor, shock sensor, glass break sensor, and auxiliary control relays for the goodies. A setup like this will address your light problem, and let you set up your CRX as if it were a modern car.

#nerdgasm
haitian-REX

Postby user1.0 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:41 am

Gr8_EE8 wrote:If you want to go new-tech, any of the higher end security systems has headlight control relay output options that you can program against a timer. I think it's all pretty easy and straightforward, but I have really lost my perspective on what it's like to be new at automotive electrical systems.

Did you build this? Or its a kit that can be purchased with install instructions? GPS tracking with a phone plan?Sounds awesome!
user1.0

Postby umop3plsdn3dlus » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:47 pm

Its certain modules all pieced together, the only piece I know for certain is the alarm brain is made from DEI, now I don't know if its viper, Clifford, python, avital... yatta yatta they are all the same company, DEI.
Dustin - Central Texas
umop3plsdn3dlus

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:30 pm

It's all DEI. The GPS is a China unit from Amazon ans uses a $3/month prepaid sim. It texts me if the car leaves a certain area, or I text it and it pings a Google maps link and a movement vector.

You can do a lot with cheap components, like Arduino. The alarm systems have a lot of that stuff built in, which is why brought it up. Hell, you could set up a bluetooth module that kills your lights when you walk out of range. Sky's the limit.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Keep it real. This is the only Honda forum worth my time. You make it happen.
Gr8_EE8

Postby Scorpo'n'Scorpa » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:35 pm

This is all so very awesome everyone. Saving this data when I have the luxury to make these mods. once I work out all the electrical kinks I have going on under my dash, I think then I will begin looking into getting these upgrades. Hopefully I can also find someone in my area that can assist me with all of the electrical components.
Scorpo'n'Scorpa

Postby msc » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:13 am

My best advise is to learn to love the elegant simplicity of your vintage vehicle. If you don't actually like vintage vehicles you shouldn't own one.

It makes me sick to see a clean example of a vintage car get all hacked up for the sake of adding "modern conveniences". The end result is always a downgrade in long term reliability. I love my CRX because it's not loaded down with all the bloat crap of a modern car.

On your issue of leaving the lights on simply develop the habit of glancing back at your car as you walk away from it. If you notice the lights are on, go back and turn them off.

I work in the field of advanced automotive development. The more I know about the cars of tomorrow the less I want to own or drive one. The way I see it the last vehicle I will ever enjoy owning has already been built.

Mike
msc

Return to Car Audio, Gadgets and Security