(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Replacement panel for heater control box? (block-off plate)

Audio, video, navigation, radar detectors and more. Also for alarms, security systems, kill switches, and other immobilization techniques.

Moderator: Moderators

Replacement panel for heater control box? (block-off plate)

Postby Treezy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:20 am

Just wanted to ask if anyone has/found a panel that I can replace my heater control with without serious modification? I recently picked up a heater control, but I will still need to fix the screw holes to hang it and I have never actually used the damn heater or a/c anyway.. a simple brushed aluminum or black panel, I'll probably just use it for switches/gauges.. Just figured I'd ask before I started trying to re-invent the wheel. Not a lot of options for fabbing here..
Last edited by Treezy on Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Founder, Evasive Illusions MSC
*Owner of the Only AWD 5G Prelude*
1991 EDM EE8 Turbo B16A1 "Black Betty"
Treezy

Re: Replacement panel for heater control box?

Postby jacksonww » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:44 pm

I recommend a faceplate from eBay and epoxy where needed. Should last another 20+ years.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
jacksonww

Postby Treezy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:51 am

Do you happen to have a link to a faceplate that would fit? The only one I've found is the factory radio block-off plate and it's too small (length & height).
Treezy

Postby Intertwined » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:06 am

Honestly, just go to Home Depot or Lowes and find yourself some material you like.....I.E. sheet metal, ABS Plastic etc....and cut it to size.

Cheapest and fastest route.
Intertwined

Postby ef yu » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:02 pm

If you're trying to be super economical (cheap) about it, go to the junkyard and get the face plate off a 88-91 civic hatch back. remove the faceplate, trim neatly and glue it onto your crx climate control. it looks MUCH better than the ebay face plate as the material resembles the factory material. only problem you have is mounting it. but im sure you can rig something to make it work.
However, the ebay faceplate is FAR stronger and will outlast the one i made 10 times.

- jim
ef yu

Postby Treezy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:29 am

Ah.., sorry, been talking to the same group of guys for a while.. I'm in Italy. There are no home depots, no lowes, and no crx's in the junkyards. This is a VERY car unfriendly country and life is difficult for anyone working on them.

With that said, I have a perfectly fine heater control box that I just received from Bulgaria, just needs the tabs fixed. I'm not looking to refurb a climate box, I'm looking to install what amounts to a block-off plate instead of installing a climate box which I don't really use anyway.

I was looking at maybe trying to get a piece of brushed aluminum or hard plastic or something to install, so that I could mount switches or gauges or whatever on if I wanted to at a later date, but I was curious to know if maybe someone had already done the legwork on finding a block-off plate that fit and had the info. No reason to spend a lot of hours if I didn't need to, but it seems like that's the way forward for me. Hopefully I can find someone locally who can cut me a piece that I can grind/drill to what I need.

Thanks anyway guys!
Treezy

Postby Treezy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:38 am

Apologies, I see where I mixed things up with the title.. I literally meant a replacement panel to completely replace the climate control box, not a panel to fix it. Totally my bad :( I'll fix the title!
Treezy

Re: Replacement panel for heater control box? (block-off pla

Postby tommy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:23 am

If you look around here, there are at least a couple of guys who have done flat panels with gauges attached. They used either flat plastic or carbon fiber panels and cut them to fit.

This could also work, and is only $20, if you want a totally OEM look to it:

http://www.icbmotorsport.com/jdmrabloffpl1.html

Those are just a couple of the things you could do. It shouldn't be too hard to find something to work.
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Postby Treezy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:00 am

Negative, that's only for radio block-offs. That's the same one floating around on ebay. Measurements are different.. I thought the same thing and when I went and looked at the dash, I guess I never really noticed they were different sizes lol.

Once I get the gauges installed, new sammich plate, I'm gonna take her over to someone to see if they can get me a piece of metal to fit in there. Thanks though! :-)b
Treezy

Postby Mista Bone » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:28 am

Fix your cables first or else you'll break the panel again.
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby Treezy » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:03 pm

Bone, already addressed this earlier on and in the subject line.. I was asking about a plate to replace the control unit, not to keep it.. Essentially removing the climate unit and installing a flat block-off plate that could be used for switches/gauges down the road if I wanted. At this point I'm just trying to find someone local that can hook me up with a piece of metal to cut and install. Once I get it figured out, I'll post it in case others want or need it.
Treezy

Postby tommy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:59 am

Treezy wrote:Negative, that's only for radio block-offs. That's the same one floating around on ebay. Measurements are different.. I thought the same thing and when I went and looked at the dash, I guess I never really noticed they were different sizes lol.

If the block off is larger, dremel it down. If it's smaller, mount it to a piece of strong plastic or metal, and you'll have an oem-ish appearance. Yes, I know that the two are not equal, as I had a DIN radio and a DIN cd changer previously in my car, and the shop had to work on the center console to fit.

You didn't expect this to be simple, did you???? :nod:
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Postby Treezy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:54 pm

That's why I asked here in the hopes I would find an already worked out solution.. A guy from the local area hmu and is trying to get me a piece of scrap stock.. WE SHALL SEE!
Treezy

Return to Car Audio, Gadgets and Security